Apr 29, 2012, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
I've been wanting a tug with a fantail, the lil salty would have had one if I knew how to do it simply.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2012, 05:18 PM
ill make a foam hull mock up first, ill try to keep the mid to forward section the same as the original Salty and see if that works, If not i guess it would not be a Salty anymore, but for sure ill share what i do if it works out.
Apr 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
bye
Last edited by BOZINATOR; May 09, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
Apr 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
Hay now Thats the ticket, thanks Jim
May 01, 2012, 09:27 AM
---o-O-o---
What are you all using for filler, bondo or something else? I've used bondo in other applications, but not where there was a moisture factor. I've also used wall board compound, but again I am concerned about moisture. Also, I'm not sure how bondo would react with the finishing resin, I think it's polyester based, not epoxy based? I saw the problems Terry had with the primer, and want to save myself from a do-over. Do you put filler under or on top of the finish resin? I read that polyester won't set up ontop of epoxy.

Pete
May 01, 2012, 09:59 AM
In The Sorrano Triangle
bye
Last edited by BOZINATOR; May 09, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
May 01, 2012, 02:02 PM
i am in the slow process of painting my Salty, the main hull is hunter green with black rub rail, white cabin with upper deck hunter green and black, i post pics soon, my fan tail experimental Salty is coming along , i cut the sides extra high so i can re shape later ,
May 02, 2012, 11:11 AM
Thread OP
That rounded stern looks great larry, I cant wait to see it all painted up. Please post some pics of your first one if you have a chance.

I had mine out on the river yesterday, but the water cooling system still isn't working correctly. i first put an inlet behind the prop but it didn't provide any flow. Then I tried another one forward of the prop with a proper 90 degree curve, even flared the end of the pipe to increase the static pressure, but still no flow! I replaced as much of the silicon tubing as I could with 4mm aluminum tube, to reduce friction, still no dice! I thought the flow through both brush tabs and then the alu coil was giving too much back pressure, so i bypassed the brush tab cooling, and finally made a bit of headway but the cooling outlet pipe still only shows a trickle. This boat is a lot faster than my springer, and it always shows a healthy flow even at moderate throttle settings. I might go back to the pickup behind the prop and just fiddle with its vertical height relative to the prop centerline. Saturday I accidentally pinched the supply line closed with the battery pack and the motor was so hot I nearly burned my fingers on it, I don't want that to happen again!

Its also struggling to get up on plane, so I added some trim tabs to the transom, which helped a little, but a test run without the wheelhouse confirmed that I need to lighten the whole thing. Looks like i'll be splitting up my massive 2S 15AH battery

more photos and videos coming soon as I iron out all the details. It was still fun and we ran her for 2 solid hours churning up the river pretty thoroughly!
May 02, 2012, 12:36 PM
wish i could have been there with ya JayJay, sounds like you had a fun day , dang all this modern technology and still no Startrack Transporter...
May 02, 2012, 02:35 PM
---o-O-o---
Larry,
It's looking good! Can't wait to see the final revision.

JayJay
What if you try moving the weight around to change the center of gravity? Will that help it get on plane easier? Also, what is the weight of the boat fully loaded. I want to get an idea of where mine should be when its complete.

Pete
May 04, 2012, 02:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh
What if you try moving the weight around to change the center of gravity? Will that help it get on plane easier?

Pete
Hi Pete, I tried moving the battery pack forward one bay, but then it was plowing and water splashed over the bow. I have a 2S 11P pack in there right now, I'm going to get some copper braid today so I can make up a smaller pack, maybe 2S 6P to see how that works out. I'll weight the boat with the old pack, and then with the new pack and post the weights tomorrow morning. The hull displaces quite a bit but still, there is a limit. I think the box keel limits the speed this hull can deliver, it has a lot of wetted area. My cartoon runabout now has a simple vee hull, but any future Salty I build will have the flat bottom. Rain this weekend so I'll manage to finish the box keel plans for anyone still waiting.

Side note, I recharged the massive 14.3Ah pack last night, it took 12.6Ah to fill it up. Made from 11 pairs of 1300mAh cells, that means we emptied 10 of the 11 pairs or ~90% rated capacity. Sounds abusive but that was over 2 hours of running full throttle which pulled 6.3A; draining each cell at 6.3/11=0.572mA, a bit under 1/2C rate... Guess we ran her pretty good on Tuesday!
May 04, 2012, 06:18 AM
Jay Jay did I moss the plans for the box keel version? I am building the original but I also wanted to try the box keel. Thanks for making the plans
available. Garey
May 04, 2012, 06:32 AM
Thread OP
Hello Garey,

Welcome to the thread and thanks for posting! I would very much appreciate it if you would post some photos of your work in progress.

I haven't yet posted the plans for the box keel variant. I will try to spend a few hours on them this weekend and update the thread. See post #1 for the latest version of all plans.

Jason
Last edited by JayJay76; May 04, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
May 04, 2012, 10:27 AM
I need a radio for my Salty.
Can I use any 2.4ghz radio? And why do some advertise air 2.4 and service 2.4.

All I have are older 72mhz radios, which i can't use.

Also waiting for some decent weather to start painting something besides primer.
May 04, 2012, 11:05 AM
My problem here is its getting to Hot to work very long , 90 s all weekend .yuck

Quick Reply