Apr 17, 2012, 07:29 AM
In The Sorrano Triangle
Morning,
Are you guys going to add the motor keel? When I printed the last plans they were only 16" long (approximately) at 100 % scale. I think I messed up Print three times cut once
Going to make the fiberglass boat itself today DAIG (design as I go) I keep seeing a Toon Runabout
jim
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2012, 07:39 AM
---o-O-o---
The 1/8th ply works well because a standard table saw blade (in the US) leaves a 1/8th kerf. So if you line up the frames and gang cut the slots, the alignment is perfect with minimal clean up. Same with the keel formers. I rigged a small jig from scrap and mounted it on the table saw sled to get the alignment right for all the slots. The frame just falls together with the slot and tab alignment. An area that does present a possible problem is the transom. At 1/8th thick, getting it to bend around the transom shape maybe be difficult. I did some testing last night, not sure it will form. Maybe wetting/soaking the piece or a lamination of thinner pieces will work? I don't want to cut kerfs in the transom to get it to curve as that will weaken it and may "telegraph" through the finish. I'll find out when I get to that point and see what works. If anyone has already completed the transom using 1/8th, let us know how you handled it.

I think a lengthened woody based on this plan would be a BIG hit. I can't wait to see it.

Pete
Apr 17, 2012, 08:43 AM
---o-O-o---
Hi Jim,

I just checked the plans (flat bottom), mine don't show a keel. Do I need one?

Pete
Last edited by blutoh; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spellng
Apr 17, 2012, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh
Hi Jim,

I just checked the plans (flat bottom), mine don't show a keel. Do I need one?

Pete
Hi Blutoh,

He's referring to the motor keel on the original design like I built, however, I haven't published that plan yet. Its much more complicated to build and has several more parts. I will finish the plans this week and put them up. Right now I'm trying to simplify the assembly and reduce the number of parts to make it a better option.
Apr 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZINATOR
Morning,
Are you guys going to add the motor keel? When I printed the last plans they were only 16" long (approximately) at 100 % scale. I think I messed up Print three times cut once
Going to make the fiberglass boat itself today DAIG (design as I go) I keep seeing a Toon Runabout
jim

Hello Jim,

You must have printed them with autoscaling turned on. I would take the file to kinkos and have them printed 100% on a plotter or large format printer. It'll probably cost a few bucks but the only other option is to print them tiled at home and tape all the sheets together. I don't know how to do that but someone else might be able to help you out.
Apr 17, 2012, 10:31 AM
---o-O-o---

Prop recommendation

Hi all,

I need to order some hardware. For the prop I thought I would start with a 30mm three blade. Does that sound about right, or too much for the car motor?

Pete
Apr 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi all,

I need to order some hardware. For the prop I thought I would start with a 30mm three blade. Does that sound about right, or too much for the car motor?

Pete
Hello Blutoh,

30 sounds about right, but I always order a couple different sizes and blade counts, since plastic props are only a couple bucks each. also good to have spares on hand in case you lose one.

Also, be sure to get the right drive direction! that is, some props are for right hand, some for left hand. since you want to run it directly from the motor shaft, the prop will rotate counter-clockwise as viewed from the rear of the boat. In the USA I think this is called left-hand, but over here its called right-hand (viewed from the motor side of the prop)
Apr 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
What would be a good source for bumpers and fenders for Salty?
Apr 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
---o-O-o---
OK,

The smallest three blade props I have found so far are 30mm. I ordered a 30 and 35 in plastic, once I test and determine the right size, I will order a brass one. I need to make a rudder. For the rudder blade did you use brass, plastic, wood or something else?

Pete
Apr 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
---o-O-o---
Hi Marter,

I was looking at this for the deck accessories:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XMNH8&P=Z#tech

Only has two tires for bumpers though. I am going to try making some out of foam if I can find black foam. I don't want to paint them, think painted foam will always chip and peel.

Pete
Apr 17, 2012, 11:33 AM
GILL
Jay Jay I just started the Hopatcong build log in Scale Boats.
Try looking on E-bay in the model car or R/C car section\. I picked up a bag of about 30 tires in differant sizes for $ 8.00. Fron about 1/24 scale up to about 1/12
Apr 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
---o-O-o---
Thanks Gill,

Found them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-1-25-Mo...item3a72e4c486

Pete
Apr 17, 2012, 01:23 PM
GILL
I like them because you never see the same tire on a tug, size, diameter, and so on.
Every so often I pick up a bunch. Lets face it I have more things in stock then most shops do, yes I had a shop at one time. Too much work, too little pay.
Apr 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marter1229
What would be a good source for bumpers and fenders for Salty?
Hi marter I have been looking for bumpers too. I think 50mm tires are the right size and I've been making my own ropes and trying to come up with some use for that. I'm not very experienced with detailing boats so I'd hoped to see some ideas from you guys.
Apr 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
OK,

The smallest three blade props I have found so far are 30mm. I ordered a 30 and 35 in plastic, once I test and determine the right size, I will order a brass one. I need to make a rudder. For the rudder blade did you use brass, plastic, wood or something else?

Pete
Hi Pete, 30 and 35 are a good place to start. I built the rudder from 1.5mm brass and soldered it to the brass rudder shaft. For cheap tires try slicing off pieces from a length of soft neoprene pipe insulation, you can even iron the cut edges to give it a more realistic finish.

Quick Reply