Thread Tools
Mar 09, 2011, 10:22 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Build Log

Stevens AeroModels - SkyBuggy (100)


Started one of my three StevensAero kits. The SkyBuggy (100) is the one that pulled me in. I have to say that it will be a pleasure to build these SA kits because the laser cut is exceptional!
Last edited by simages; Mar 20, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2011, 01:42 AM
Registered User
CADGURU's Avatar
Nice, can't wait to see how your build progresses!
Mar 12, 2011, 08:04 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADGURU
Nice, can't wait to see how your build progresses!
Me too, have all next week off and have the othe SA kits too!
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Mar 13, 2011, 12:23 AM
Registered User
CADGURU's Avatar
I am currently scratch building a low wing sport plane....I did a lot of redesign of the plans in CAD; then had my major parts laser-cut. First time I have done that for a scratch build....If you wish to check out my build here's the link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1402336

Definitely could use some feed back
Mar 13, 2011, 09:24 AM
Registered User
simages, +1 on the SA kits. I built one of their 50" Edge 540's a couple of years ago, was a great airplane. The quality of their kits is very good IMHO.
Mar 13, 2011, 10:40 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADGURU
I am currently scratch building a low wing sport plane....I did a lot of redesign of the plans in CAD; then had my major parts laser-cut. First time I have done that for a scratch build....If you wish to check out my build here's the link:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1402336 Definitely could use some feed back
Very cool.... technology these days CAD, laser cut $15-$50 is really great. I subscribed to your build thread and that's pretty cool about helping to setup AKM Laser with aircraft cutting services.
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Mar 14, 2011, 12:40 AM
Registered User
CADGURU's Avatar
AKM has been cutting models for years....(I did not help them) They have been providing excellent service long before I had caught up with them.

I am helping Trinity River Studios get set up for model cutting.
As mentioned, they just got their laser for engraving and I told them the could expand markets and get into balsa cutting for customs and such. They knew nothing about cutting balsa so I brought them plans and we started working out all the techniques.

Thanks for subcribing to my thread, I got a lot of work done I'll post pics soon.
Mar 14, 2011, 06:16 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADGURU
AKM has been cutting models for years....(I did not help them) They have been providing excellent service long before I had caught up with them.
I am helping Trinity River Studios get set up for model cutting.
As mentioned, they just got their laser for engraving and I told them the could expand markets and get into balsa cutting for customs and such. They knew nothing about cutting balsa so I brought them plans and we started working out all the techniques.
Thanks for subcribing to my thread, I got a lot of work done I'll post pics soon.
Even Cooler......
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Mar 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar

A bit more done.....


Was able to cover the wing, build the fuse and cover it as well. I have to say; the AeroLite covering that SA offers really compliments the build. Not to mention applies fantastic per at 175 - 190, then shrinks drum tight.
Last edited by simages; Mar 15, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Mar 15, 2011, 12:48 AM
Registered User
CADGURU's Avatar
Wow its really coming along, Covering already! I guess I should not be too jealous. Its been a while since I built any aircraft and I am scratch building a prototype. There are bound to be issues (and have been) with my build.
Mar 15, 2011, 08:02 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Added the trim and landing gear today. Should complete it tomorrow and know the 300 will build just as easy!
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Mar 16, 2011, 09:37 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Rainy day helped to finish the SKYBUGGY 100. All that's left is the top wing trim and the maiden flight, hopefully the wind is down tomorrow! Still very much impressed with the kit quality, instructions, hardware and well.... STEVENS AeroModel in general!
Last edited by simages; Mar 16, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Mar 17, 2011, 07:05 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Stevens AeroModel's Avatar
Looking great! glad you are enjoying the build.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by simages
Rainy day helped to finish the SKYBUGGY 100. All that's left is the top wing trim and the maiden flight, hopefully the wind is down tomorrow! Still very much impressed with the kit quality, instructions, hardware and well.... STEVENS AeroModel in general!
Mar 17, 2011, 07:40 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens AeroModel
Looking great! glad you are enjoying the build. -Bill
Like I said, it's a pleasure..... Thanks for posting Bill. Glad I went to the WRAM Show in NY otherwise I still wouldn't know about the SA models..... Unfortunately it was too windy today for a maiden however; daylight savings is finally here!

Only overlooked 2 things; installing the F5b reversed so the motor hole needed trimming to ensure the thrust alignment. Thought I put front forward and I'm sure it was marked FRONT. Then I realized that I forgot to sand the 45 bevel on the rudder, but that didn't interfere with the control having enoght space with the tape.....

Although, I have the SKYBUGGY 300, I want to get started on the SkyBoy 600 next and should be here by Saturday!
Last edited by simages; Mar 20, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Mar 20, 2011, 12:28 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Added the wing trim......
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Apr 11, 2011, 07:09 PM
Night Flyer
phil007's Avatar
Has your Skybuggy been airborne yet? This is going to be my first SA build with the Skyboy 600 being number 2. It looks like a fun plane.

Phil
Apr 11, 2011, 08:11 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil007
Has your Skybuggy been airborne yet? This is going to be my first SA build with the Skyboy 600 being number 2. It looks like a fun plane.
Phil
Unfortunately not...... my wife has been really sick which is why I have been building and staying close to home....
Then just when you get the chance..... it's either raining or too windy. I know it will fly just as advertised!
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Jun 07, 2011, 09:41 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar

Close but no maiden....


I've been able to get out afew nights to start to maiden my projects. Tonight the SKYBUGGY100 was one of them however; I had a few 1s and all of them would cut out after launching. They powered up fine so, thought it was a weak uncharged so, I put in another..... hand launched, starts to climb and cuts out it like 30 seconds.....

There were 2 new FlightMax 138mAh and verified a good charge when I got home and they seem worthless. 2 other new generic 145mAh I had.... same thing.

E-flight 150mAh .5Wh 12c "which I didn't have with me" works great on the bench no cut out. So, I ordered some new ones and will poke holes in these and store in salt water

My Parkzone Mosquito Mk VI is a gas as well as my PLUMA foamy. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll try again with the good lipo and will maden the Swift100 too!
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Jun 08, 2011, 10:45 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar

Success.....


OK, the E-flight 150mAh .5Wh 12c worked great so, I got a feel for the little SKYBUGGY. Short Maiden to get a feel for the throttle and a little trimming...... really liked the flight control. Can't say the same for those nesting birds I stirred up! Got another flight in off that battery, but I have some new batteries coming this week.

SkyBuggy100 1 (2 min 2 sec)
It's a keeper.....
Last edited by simages; Jun 09, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Jul 18, 2013, 06:28 PM
AMA 988154
k4pacific's Avatar
I clicked on your private thread from the Quark forum and noticed you built the Skybuggy 100. I bought the kit at the last WRAM show in Secaucus NJ last February? It's built except for covering it with AeroLite. I have not covered a balsa airplane in many years. Silkspan was the covering of choice back then. Monokote was just coming of age. I'm putting off covering the Skybuggy for fear of ruining the framework. Any suggstions for a novice when using Aerolite? You did a super job and I envy it. I looked at your photos and noticed you painted the motor compartment, could you tell me what type of paint you used? acrylic or something else. What adhesive did you use to secure the motor? , something the instructions do not mention although they are very thorough. The laser cut parts make assembly a snap although I did brace the fuselage sides near the window openings because the balsa used for the sides is rather thin after sanding.

Looking forward to any helpful comments you have.

Sam
Jul 18, 2013, 09:05 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific
--cut-- It's built except for covering it with AeroLite. I have not covered a balsa airplane in many years. --cut-- I'm putting off covering the Skybuggy for fear of ruining the framework. Any suggstions for a novice when using Aerolite? You did a super job and I envy it. I looked at your photos and noticed you painted the motor compartment, could you tell me what type of paint you used? acrylic or something else. What adhesive did you use to secure the motor? , something the instructions do not mention although they are very thorough. The laser cut parts make assembly a snap although I did brace the fuselage sides near the window openings because the balsa used for the sides is rather thin after sanding. Looking forward to any helpful comments you have. Sam
Not to worry and thanks for the complement regarding my covering. Been doing it a long time, but somewhat a perfectionist and it take me a while to decide "how" I want to cover the project. Anyway,I do prefer SA Aerolite covering for my micro planes and Hanger9 Ultracote for most all other covering projects. Both don't need really hot heat to tack and apply besides being very flexible and shrinks perfectly. I will mention that if you want to trim the model and for best results definitely use the AeroFilm which is "self adhesive" film ideal for decorating a film covered model. You'll need an iron and heat gun, just make sure you use an iron sock and its clean. As for the engine compartment I usually use Testors enamel and/or acrylic, but what works very well on balsa ......... Sharpie markers. In fact I think I did that with the SkyBuggy 100, 300 and the eHopper. Believe I used CA medium and thick on the motor.

Just use some balsa scrape to get a feel for the covering full plank surface and open parts that require tacking and shrinking. Do you have a build thread for the SkyBuggy? It's cool when Bill Stevens pops in and posts on the thread..... also post the Buggy on the original Stevens Aero appreciation thread
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Jul 19, 2013, 10:24 AM
AMA 988154
k4pacific's Avatar
I have the SA illustrated build which I downloaded from their site. Being somewhat of a perfectionist myself I take pride in my workmanship. As you know from the Quark forum I also fly helis. My other hobbies are rc scale boats and O scale railroading. I purchased a heat gun, iron and detail iron from Tower, now all I need is the push to proceed.
I'll take some photos of my SkyBuggy 100 in its naked state and try to post them.
Jul 19, 2013, 10:33 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific
I have the SA illustrated build which I downloaded from their site. Being somewhat of a perfectionist myself I take pride in my workmanship. As you know from the Quark forum I also fly helis. My other hobbies are rc scale boats and O scale railroading. I purchased a heat gun, iron and detail iron from Tower, now all I need is the push to proceed.
I'll take some photos of my SkyBuggy 100 in its naked state and try to post them.
Start to cover some scrape balsa and you'll get a good feel for the temp, pressure and the shrinking. Also; the best way to split the film and backing is to use two pieces of tape on one corner and they should pill apart easily. Sometime :not: so easy.... I often use blue or green painters tape, but when the film is tough, I'll use scotch tape.
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Jul 19, 2013, 11:30 AM
Registered User
bullseye000's Avatar
This is a neat project. Couple of gotcha's I had to work around though. Even though I jammed all the radio equipment and battery as far forward as I could I still had to glue a couple of lead fishing weights under the motor to get it to balance. Short nose long tail made it tail heavy from the start. I also added a piece of 1/32" balsa as a filler between the 2 center ribs. I adds some support so the rubber bands don't tear up the covering.

For covering I used Coverite micro-lite, mainly because my local shop had it in stock. I couldn't tell any difference between the Coverite and Aerolite. I build and cover a lot and feel that these micro coverings apply and shrink very well. On thing to watch out for is when you peel the plastic backing away be very careful not to let static fold the covering over onto itself. It can stick to itself and become a lesson in frustration to get apart. Sometimes when this happens the piece becomes unusable.

Read the instructions and follow the recommendations for the temperature to set your iron. I didn't use a heat gun only a trim iron and a regular covering iron.
Jul 19, 2013, 12:05 PM
AMA 988154
k4pacific's Avatar

Skybuggy 100 Naked


Hear is my first attempt to build a balsa plane in many, many years.
Jul 19, 2013, 01:21 PM
Registered User
bullseye000's Avatar
Looks good to me. Take your time on the covering. This was the first model I covered with the light weight covering so I started with the tail feathers. You can pull it off and try again if you have any problems.
Jul 19, 2013, 02:08 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye000
This is a neat project. Couple of gotcha's I had to work around though. Even though I jammed all the radio equipment and battery as far forward as I could I still had to glue a couple of lead fishing weights under the motor to get it to balance. Short nose long tail made it tail heavy from the start. I also added a piece of 1/32" balsa as a filler between the 2 center ribs. I adds some support so the rubber bands don't tear up the covering. For covering I used Coverite micro-lite, mainly because my local shop had it in stock. I couldn't tell any difference between the Coverite and Aerolite. I build and cover a lot and feel that these micro coverings apply and shrink very well. On thing to watch out for is when you peel the plastic backing away be very careful not to let static fold the covering over onto itself. It can stick to itself and become a lesson in frustration to get apart. Sometimes when this happens the piece becomes unusable.
Read the instructions and follow the recommendations for the temperature to set your iron. I didn't use a heat gun only a trim iron and a regular covering iron.
Looks great and nice trimming, do you trim with the Coverite as well or adhesive trim? And good point regarding the iron to shrink the lite weight covering......... yes take your time......
Last edited by simages; Jul 19, 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: anal retentive correction.....
Jul 20, 2013, 10:07 PM
Registered User
bullseye000's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages
Looks great and nice trimming, do you trim with the Coverite as well or adhesive trim? And good point regarding the iron to shrink the lite weight covering......... yes take your time......
It's all Coverite. I covered the whole wing in yellow then tried to apply the black. It just wouldn't conform to the peaks and valley's around the ribs. I would up laying out the yellow on a piece of glass with Windex. Then I applied the black scallops over the yellow also using windex. When everything dried I used low heat to iron the black over the yellow. The I applied both pieces to the wing at the same time. They both seemed to shrink at the same rate. I used the plans to create cut guides for the black. I didn't it work and was surprised when the two layers went on so well.
Jul 20, 2013, 10:27 PM
Fly It Till The Wings Tear Off
scotty909's Avatar
I almost bought one of these but I'm not a fan of the AR 6400 board after one crapped out on my Swift 100. I was thinking about building one with regular servos and RX but would be afraid it would be to heavy???
Jul 21, 2013, 08:08 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909
I almost bought one of these but I'm not a fan of the AR 6400 board after one crapped out on my Swift 100. I was thinking about building one with regular servos and RX but would be afraid it would be to heavy???
Sorry about the Swift...... You could always upgrade and get the 300......
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Jul 21, 2013, 08:48 AM
Fly It Till The Wings Tear Off
scotty909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages
Sorry about the Swift...... You could always upgrade and get the 300......
I do like the 300 but I've got about six kits to build right now. In the future I want to build the Skyboy 600. That looks like a fun plane to fly,
Have you got the Bi-plane yet?
Jul 21, 2013, 08:51 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
simages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909
I do like the 300 but I've got about six kits to build right now. In the future I want to build the Skyboy 600. That looks like a fun plane to fly, Have you got the Bi-plane yet?
Know what you mean.... I'm waiting for the Avro 558 (1923) Biplane Motor Glider to be stocked. I did place a preorder back in February when I saw Bill at the WRAM show.
Latest blog entry: Strega MK2 "P-51 Mustang" by...
Aug 15, 2013, 05:56 AM
Crashing at 8600ft
balthazar420's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific
Hear is my first attempt to build a balsa plane in many, many years.
Hi K4, Don't stress too much on the covering! I just finished covering my Skybuggy100 this morning. Before this build, I had never built an RC balsa model, much less used a covering iron and film! The only advice I would give is to make sure you have plenty of covering material (I almost didn't have enough after several mistakes), switch out the blades on your knife A LOT, and get/use a good quality iron.

My poor quality covering job DOES NOT hold a candle to what I see in this thread, but I am proud and happy with it none the less! Just take your time and don't be afraid to peal a section off and re-cover if you make a mistake! I had to do that several times!
Aug 16, 2013, 09:56 AM
AMA 988154
k4pacific's Avatar
Thanks for the words of encouragement.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Stevens Aero Skybuggy Up&Away Parkflyers 184 Aug 25, 2016 02:56 PM
New Product Cartwright SkyBuggy now a Stevens AeroModel kit! Stevens AeroModel Parkflyers 142 Dec 03, 2014 08:39 PM
Wanted StevensAero skybuggy (300) Jessdog Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 09, 2010 06:03 PM
Discussion Skybuggy 100? Greg L. Parkflyers 3 Nov 29, 2010 10:33 PM
Discussion Stevens Aero new Micro SkyBuggy sleb Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 0 Oct 30, 2010 12:45 AM