Mar 08, 2011, 07:02 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act
Clarence F. Lee "SIDEWINDER"
Now this is an interesting engine ! I think I read about it once in an American modelling magazine, but have never seen such beautiful photo's of the actual engine ! If memory serves me, it was designed to allow a more streamlined, less draggy frontal area on a model, a similar concept that spawned the original FOX 59 and the British AMCO 3.5 (incidentally, the "long shaft" version of the latter only has a longer prop driver,than the "short shaft" model). Does this engine have reduction gears built in,or is it 1 : 1 ? Whatever, being built by the Master it would be a priceless work of art ! Possibly a one off ? BOB
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2011, 07:20 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Here's something you don't see every day - the starting technique is particularly interesting !
Mar 08, 2011, 07:24 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Hi Bob,

Thanks, The Sidewinder on the photo's is #2 of only 3 made, #1 is still in Clarence Lee's collection. It has a bore of .750" and stroke of .724". The total displacement is .31985cu.in.
Piston has been machined from Mehanite cast iron and sleeve from Ledloy steel. Due to the miter gears the crankshaft turns clockwise. It's 1:1.

Regards,
Danny.
Last edited by danny.act; Mar 08, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Mar 08, 2011, 07:34 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Danny, the most pleasing aspect (for me at least) is the fact that you are an un-ashamed engine collector like myself. On most other forums, collectors are treated like lepers or second class citizens (eg. that stunt forum named after a German dive bomber). Collectors rise up ! Throw off your shackles - you are liberated ! In the meantime Danny - would you take 200 bucks for that Sidewinder ?
Mar 08, 2011, 07:45 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Bob,

Good to hear You are a collector to, seems You are having a whole lot of information on engines, that's great ! I just thought it's time to show some of our engines however, just to say un-ashamed collector would be just a step to far

Don't want to take advance of Your goodness Bob $200 would be over the edge

Regards,
Danny
Mar 08, 2011, 07:57 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Do you have a mid-fifties ENYA 29 with the "airfoil" exhaust stack ? If so, does it have the big exhaust or the small exhaust ? What is this guy talking about, I hear you say. Here are a couple of photo's of the 2 variants, note also the different rear profiles of the bypass passage.
The longer stack is 38.5 mm in length, the shorter one 36 mm.
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Aug 07, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
Mar 08, 2011, 08:17 PM
Wow never seen one of those Enya's either, I have to get out more
I have a nice engine in transit.....customs loves to fondle. It's a 1967 Fox 60 Blue Head with dual plugs, very nice engine.
I'll post photos as soon as it arrives.

Bill
Mar 08, 2011, 08:50 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590
Wow never seen one of those Enya's either, I have to get out more
I have a nice engine in transit.....customs loves to fondle. It's a 1967 Fox 60 Blue Head with dual plugs, very nice engine.
I'll post photos as soon as it arrives.

Bill
Bill, some people might think that the engines made by Duke Fox would not appeal to devout collectors - not so ! I have 14 FOX's in my collection (mostly the 29 & 35 Stunt versions) and I derive just as much pleasure from handling them, as I do from expensive exotica. There is a certain appeal about an item, be it a model engine or something else, which is simple in design, well made & robust, yet not expensive to purchase. Nothing fancy, just made to do a specific job well. Look forward to the Blue Head photo's !
Mar 08, 2011, 09:05 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
My latest FOX - we could have a FOX feast !
Mar 08, 2011, 09:11 PM
Speaking of exotic, this one will definately qualify. A Damo 218 twin, very limited run hand made in Sweden. About a 1.10 power displacement and just a shear work of art.
Mine is NIB and I was very lucky to be able to aquire this engine, one of my favorites. Early 80's vintage, sorry!

Bill
Mar 08, 2011, 09:30 PM
How about a nice Fox Bluehead .60 engine with dual glow plugs?
I had shelved it for many years as way back then we didn't use mufflers and .60 engines are incredibly loud without a muffler, but one day I found that a Davis Diesel Development Soundmaster Muffler would fit the engine. So I took it out, clean it up some, put in new rings, and it runs great once more. The engine has a needle bearing rod (both ends too) and two piston rings, not just one ring, and a great three needle carb, with adjustments for high, mid range and low. The crankcase for the engine design eventually grew into the Fox .78 engine, of which Fox manufactured for many many years.
I had first flown the engine in a Astro Hog and later another plane, and the engine outlasted both planes.
Anyway the engine is alive and well and flying in a Goldberg Tiger 60 plane now. I suspect it will wear out this airplane too.

bench running the engine after its ring job.

The engines used an exhaust baffle coupled to the carb throttle arm, so they could have a tickover idle speed.
Mar 08, 2011, 09:38 PM
I used to have a couple of Madewell .49 engines that were converted to glow.
A long exhaust stack version and a short exhaust stack version. This one was never run.

Mar 08, 2011, 09:45 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590
Speaking of exotic, this one will definately qualify. A Damo 218 twin, very limited run hand made in Sweden. About a 1.10 power displacement and just a shear work of art.
Mine is NIB and I was very lucky to be able to aquire this engine, one of my favorites. Early 80's vintage, sorry!

Bill
Bill, indeed a lovely thing with all those bits & pieces moving up and down. Did yours come in a nice wooden box ? Also, did you get a set of instructions for it ? - the oil content in the fuel is critical to that engine.
Mar 08, 2011, 09:50 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
I used to have a couple of Madewell .49 engines that were converted to glow.
A long exhaust stack version and a short exhaust stack version. This one was never run.

Earl, was the Madewell er, made well ? I have seen a few O&R engines, and was far from impressed. The piston / liner fit reminded me of a tin can rattling around in a drain pipe. With the dual-plug FOX, do you find you only have to light one plug ? BOB
Mar 08, 2011, 09:58 PM

Damo

Not a wooden box just a cardboard box. I have all the instructions for though.

Bill

Quick Reply