Jul 21, 2019, 11:19 PM
looks like a spark ignition conversion.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 03:43 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Bob, ya gotta be joking...
The gadget on the front is a flywheel/pulley and a spark timer assembly.
Probably "home made" by someone, but it's not impossible that it could be Basil.
Jul 22, 2019, 04:19 AM
Basil Miles or Basil Fawlty ?
Jul 22, 2019, 07:45 AM
Bob,
Probably neither, I would have gone for Basil Brush*, Boom-Boom
* Pom TV kids puppet character.
Jul 22, 2019, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder
I started checking some of my engines a while ago and a lot of them were so gummed up with old castor I figured I'd better do something about it. I knew that the Mobil jet oil mixed perfectly with methanol because I'd run 5 litres of that mix through a new engine I'd bought many years ago (a Stalker 61) where the instructions specifically stated to use only a synthetic and not castor. So off to ebay and picked up 2 tins for a reasonable price. Because the intention was just to flush out any remaining castor mainly from the bearings so, after a good acetone bath, I made a mix with 25% jet oil.

Now you may ask why I chose jet oil. I've never had much faith in the usual synthetics designed for fridges or for cooling power transformers but jet oil is deigned for high heat plus it's also the gearbox oil so carries extreme loads and stops gears etc from rusting. Meaning it sticks to metal like castor or ATF does .

So far I've treated about a dozen engines by giving them a ~5 minute run in a 4 stroke and, as this is a vintage topic, yesterday I ran my Dooling 29 with a vintage 7x10 Grish nylon prop as well as an iron piston Stas's 42 RE.
Didnít know the Stas was made in a rear exhaust version... is it a fast runner?
Jul 22, 2019, 08:07 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack
An interesting example of an E.D. 3.46 Hunter - and no, it's not a Diesel. The Serial Number of 4M734/9 tells us it was manufactured in November 1949. Were factory glow heads available for these back then, and what is that gadget clamped on the front for ?
Quite possibly-here's mine-serial 4C212/51....and the early cam turned tall cylinder-note the difference in cylinder height between it and the later Hunter standard diesel beside it...

ChrisM

PS I would suggest the 'ignition timer' is just as likely to be some form of clamp for the front of the engine when used in model car racing....
Jul 22, 2019, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkiwi
....PS I would suggest the 'ignition timer' is just as likely to be some form of clamp for the front of the engine when used in model car racing....
I think so too, Chris
Jul 22, 2019, 09:46 PM
If you look closely at the first pic below, the thin arm on the left appears to be the moving contact (out of spring steel). The fixed end of this appears to be insulated with a bush (as is required for spark ignition) .

The second pic shows that the moving contact is directly over the the shaft, which likely has a cam or raised bump (on the other side) to actuate the contact.

In the third pic you can see a raised circular section (highlighted) which would likely have a pin which slides between cam and moving point.
Last edited by ozrs; Jul 22, 2019 at 09:54 PM.
Jul 22, 2019, 10:13 PM
that mystery engine looks Czechoslovakian to me. Busek or Huzicka design influence?
Jul 23, 2019, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrs
If you look closely at the first pic below, the thin arm on the left appears to be the moving contact (out of spring steel). The fixed end of this appears to be insulated with a bush (as is required for spark ignition) .
The second pic shows that the moving contact is directly over the the shaft, which likely has a cam or raised bump (on the other side) to actuate the contact.
In the third pic you can see a raised circular section (highlighted) which would likely have a pin which slides between cam and moving point.
Yeah. The only point at issue is who made it.
Jul 23, 2019, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
Didnít know the Stas was made in a rear exhaust version... is it a fast runner?
I have both the SE and RE versions of the Stas's although I haven't (and won't) run the SE because there's a huge void in the casting right underneath the rear of the crankshaft bush. The RE runs very well although I've never bothered to run it with the APC 10x6 I use as a comparison prop for 40-46 size engines. In a CL model I run it with a tuned pipe set at the same length as with my OS 40VF and it feels very much like the OS.

A little history on these engines. All of them (they made 200 as SE and the 50 as RE) were all experimental in that many different surface finishes were tried out (my SE has machined fins while the RE comes as cast) before they began making the engine that was originally intended for the market. That engine was the Zeus 42 and 60. The Stas's were made using the machinery bought when production ceased of the Marz engines. The brainchild behind the Stas's and Zeus was Ilya Leydman (an Aussie who lives in Canberra ) who went to Russia and bought up the Marz machinery.
Jul 24, 2019, 03:38 AM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack
The Poms started this silliness back in 1949
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post40500670
And the Yanks continued it.

This video by Dave Herbert just popped up in the Simitar thread, featuring an old Bill Evans design and the "Faux" twin K&B 40.
It actually starts and runs quite well.....
K&B twin cyl gas Flying wing demo plus Starting tips for glow. (9 min 58 sec)
Jul 24, 2019, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy8w
The question I have is, why?
Paul, I think the original reason/excuse was simply for use with certain scale models that need a flat twin engine (even to represent a flat four). There are very many "between the wars" light planes that fall into that category, the Piper Cub, for example.
As you know, scale modelers frequently make dummy cylinders, just to protrude from the other side and look a bit realistic. I think this dummy cylinder nonsense was just that logic, taken a bit further...
Last edited by brokenenglish; Jul 24, 2019 at 01:54 PM.
Jul 24, 2019, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkiwi
Quite possibly-here's mine-serial 4C212/51....and the early cam turned tall cylinder-note the difference in cylinder height between it and the later Hunter standard diesel beside it...
ChrisM
Chris, I can't be absolutely categoric, but certainly I've never heard of a factory glow head for a 3.46, so I very much doubt it.
PS: What a nice collection of "NVAs of the world" you have on your 3.46's!
Jul 24, 2019, 04:46 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Chris, I can't be absolutely categoric, but certainly I've never heard of a factory glow head for a 3.46, so I very much doubt it.
PS: What a nice collection of "NVAs of the world" you have on your 3.46's!
I can't either-but the 'form' is exactly right for ED....I am happy that its a genuine ED product-but whether the engine left the factory as a glow, or the head was supplied as an accessory-I could not say definitively. Bear in mind (as I sure you are aware) that the Mk3 249 was supplied with a glow conversion from new, and that in this era (very early 50s) Amco were offering glow versions of the PB 3.5 diesel.....as were Davies Charlton with the DC350-so I think it more than possible that ED were doing the same-whether as an 'accessory' or to 'special order'............

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

PS...as for the NVAs...well they are what they are.....I consider an engine naked if it hasn't got an NVA fitted....and we don't want to encourage that sort of thing ;-)

Quick Reply