Apr 05, 2018, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arocholl
The RF Explorer analyzer can show the modulated channel shape, but cannot interpret the OFDM signal itself. For that you would need a Signal Analyzer with OFDM protocol included.

Thanks for answer !
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2018, 01:29 PM
Electric powered
Thread OP

Pre-release candidate version for Presets functionality

Hi Guys,

We are almost done with new Presets functionality available for all RF Explorer Combo models: 3G Combo, 6G Combo, ISM Combo and Wifi Combo.

It works really well and comes with a Windows tool to allow easy configuration of multiple presets, including custom description.

This will allow you to save different pre-configurations in your instrument and easy recover it anytime.

If you want to help us testing the final pre-release candidate and use this functionality sooner, please join as Beta Tester. We will limit this to up to 10 users maximum, please register in https://support.rf-explorer.com/account.php?do=create and then create a new ticket in https://support.rf-explorer.com/open.php selecting "Beta Tester" in "Help Topic" and "Preset v1.26 beta tester" in "Issue Summary". Include your device S/N as well.

User registration page:

Beta tester registration page:
Last edited by arocholl; May 01, 2018 at 01:46 PM.
May 02, 2018, 06:07 PM
Ticket Opened
May 03, 2018, 04:13 PM
Created an account and submitted the required ticket but had no email confirmation of either. When I try to log in to the account it says account confirmation required.
May 03, 2018, 05:09 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Hi,

is there a recommended way to use the RFE to measure/test the output of a Taranis radio?

I tried but I can't get any decent results, the idea is to be able to determine if the radio is working correctly of if the RF part is not producing the expected output power.

If anyone have tried this and could share the settings uses it would be great.
Thanks

PS: Maybe share a preset.
May 04, 2018, 12:16 AM
Embrace the suck!
If you have one with a removable antenna, just connect it up, a 30 dB attenuator would be a good idea. If you can't connect directly, then just set up about a meter apart, turn on the Taranis, and see what you get. There will be spikes bouncing around and peaking at about 100mW for the direct connection. For through the air measurement, you may have to compare to a known good Taranis.

Likely easier to just do a range test with the Taranis first, over ~30 paces and you're good.
May 04, 2018, 12:48 AM

Looking at NTSC

Hi guys,

I just got my hands on an RF Explorer the other day and started writing some software for it after discovering that it has an open source library

I decided to do a 3d waterfall presentation of the data coming from the device and thought it would be neat to do a video showing the signal coming from an NTSC video transmitter:

RF Explorer - A Look at NTSC (4 min 55 sec)

I used Unity game engine to write the program, it is quite flexible and very efficient at rendering the data.

If interested I can make the program available, send me a PM.
May 04, 2018, 05:37 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio
If you have one with a removable antenna, just connect it up, a 30 dB attenuator would be a good idea. If you can't connect directly, then just set up about a meter apart, turn on the Taranis, and see what you get. There will be spikes bouncing around and peaking at about 100mW for the direct connection. For through the air measurement, you may have to compare to a known good Taranis.

Likely easier to just do a range test with the Taranis first, over ~30 paces and you're good.
Thanks I'll try that.

The normal range test is ok, but includes other possible factors such as bad antennas, bad rx,...
Testing the radio directly allows me to eliminate it directly as the source of a problem.

As an example, I was having range issues, tried swapping antennas and all no luck. Turns out is the SMA connector.
The middle pin is thinner than usual and makes bad contact and testing with several antennas sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't.
May 04, 2018, 10:14 AM
Electric powered
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmCoder8088
Hi guys,

I just got my hands on an RF Explorer the other day and started writing some software for it after discovering that it has an open source library

I decided to do a 3d waterfall presentation of the data coming from the device and thought it would be neat to do a video showing the signal coming from an NTSC video transmitter:

I used Unity game engine to write the program, it is quite flexible and very efficient at rendering the data.

If interested I can make the program available, send me a PM.
Outstanding job! It shows data in a very fast pace. The RF Explorer for Windows includes an OpenGL 3D and 2D representation as well, but your tool may be nicer for quicker view independent of a large tool.
May 04, 2018, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arocholl
Outstanding job! It shows data in a very fast pace. The RF Explorer for Windows includes an OpenGL 3D and 2D representation as well, but your tool may be nicer for quicker view independent of a large tool.
Thanks, I do have one question, regarding the DSP "filter" vs "fast" mode.

Around me, there are several L-band radars, one of which has a known F1 and F2 frequency of 1286 and 1344.

If I have the RF Explorer in the default "filter" mode, it does not show these very well. But if I change it to "fast" mode (no filter), I can see them.

Can you explain what the filter mode is doing and when I should or should not use it? Thanks.
May 04, 2018, 03:18 PM

UnityRFE beta

For those who are interested in the 3d waterfall program I showed above, here is a link to it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S2...woxUdCGJfffNGx

It should be playable on most Windows computers with a dedicated graphics card.

To get the fastest refresh rate as shown in the video, make sure your RFE is in DSP="fast" mode, not "auto" or "filter".

I also added the ability to select two markers and it will show the delta frequency and amplitude between them.
May 05, 2018, 01:27 PM
Electric powered
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmCoder8088
Thanks, I do have one question, regarding the DSP "filter" vs "fast" mode.

Around me, there are several L-band radars, one of which has a known F1 and F2 frequency of 1286 and 1344.

If I have the RF Explorer in the default "filter" mode, it does not show these very well. But if I change it to "fast" mode (no filter), I can see them.

Can you explain what the filter mode is doing and when I should or should not use it? Thanks.
DSP filter will get rid of fast transient signal and internal spurs, so it is the method suggested for stable environment where constant wave signal measurement. Fast can be used when some spurs are acceptable, or if fast transient signals are to be detected. More details in user manual www.rf-explorer.com/manual .
May 07, 2018, 12:17 AM

RF Explorer: A Practical Use Case

This evening I finished a flight where I brought along my new RF Explorer for its first field use.

RF Explorer: A Practical Use Case (7 min 54 sec)

It demonstrates how strong interference can occur even when 22 miles away from the source!
May 09, 2018, 12:10 AM

RF Explorer: UnityRFE Updates

I've made some updates to the UnityRFE visualizer:

RF Explorer: UnityRFE Updates (4 min 10 sec)

- Column select for markers
- Record and playback data
- 20% faster rendering

Available here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19Y...qgneJFNBGTjQr_
May 09, 2018, 05:22 AM

UnityRFE visualizer

The UnityRFE visualizer demo application is a nice demonstration of the RF Explorer open source api. Kudos to AsmCoder8088, and hope it inspires other open source applications for the RF Explorer spectrum analyzer and signal generator.

-Herb

Quick Reply