- Column select for markers
- Record and playback data
- 20% faster rendering

Available here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19Y...qgneJFNBGTjQr_
Really great job - thansk for sharing !
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2018, 02:36 PM
hwalker and macfly, thanks for the responses.

I have fixed a bug concerning the recording functionality, where if you record to a non-empty slot it actually opens the file for appending rather than creating new file from beginning. If any other bugs are spotted let me know, but that is the only one I know of so far. I will be releasing an update soon.

arocholl, is it possible to have the RF Explorer stay in DSP mode="fast" during power cycles?

Every time I power on the device it goes back to DSP mode="auto" (which is the same as "filter" for the band I monitor). If it is on filter then I don't see the radar emissions that I want to see.
Last edited by AsmCoder8088; May 10, 2018 at 02:44 PM.
May 10, 2018, 04:02 PM
Electric powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmCoder8088
arocholl, is it possible to have the RF Explorer stay in DSP mode="fast" during power cycles?

Every time I power on the device it goes back to DSP mode="auto" (which is the same as "filter" for the band I monitor). If it is on filter then I don't see the radar emissions that I want to see.
The device always restart in DSP:Auto by design, to prevent novice users from measuring with a wrong setup.

But you can easily set it programmatically the way you want from the application: use SetDSP command (Cp) see www.rf-explorer.com/API documentation for more details.
May 15, 2018, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arocholl
The device always restart in DSP:Auto by design, to prevent novice users from measuring with a wrong setup.

But you can easily set it programmatically the way you want from the application: use SetDSP command (Cp) see www.rf-explorer.com/API documentation for more details.
Thanks arocholl.

I have now published the source for the UnityRFE visualizer, it is available here:

https://github.com/daniel-SG1/UnityRFE_src

And for those who are not able to compile the source, I have the latest binary available here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hE...UioMa7T3ODzsF7

The latest version also fixes the bug when recording to a previously used slot. So far as I know at this point, there are no other bugs. If you find one, let me know.

And for those who are curious about how the rendering works, I have a brief explanation. Each data point is represented by a cube that is scaled vertically according to the amplitude of the data point. There are 112 data points (cubes) per row, and 125 rows make up the waterfall. Whenever it is time to step forward, the back row gets moved to the front, and its contents are set equal to that of the incoming data. At this point, having simply moved the back row to the front, this would give the impression that the waterfall is moving away. So the classical approach would then be to shift all rows forward by one to keep the waterfall in place. However, this results in updating the position of all of the cubes, of which there are 14,000, which significantly reduces the frame rate. So, I then parented every cube to a row object, and each row object to a single waterfall object, thinking I could then just update the position of the waterfall object and it would not be so slow... However, it seems that under the hood, Unity is still updating each cube position, so no luck. Then I decided instead to simply allow the waterfall to move, and then move the camera object to follow it. This approach worked, and the frame rate is quite fast as there is minimal updating of positions.
May 16, 2018, 10:37 AM
Electric powered
Thank you for the added details. There is a very interesting and ingenious solution in your approach.
May 23, 2018, 09:21 AM
Electric powered

New Firmware v1.26 / v3.06 and Software v1.26.1805 available

We are happy to release final version of firmware v1.26 and software enabling Presets in RF Explorer Combo spectrum analyzer models, as well as new the powerful Preset Manager tool for Windows and Linux to enable easy creation and edition of multiple presets from your Computer.

In addition to this, the new firmware for RF Explorer WSUB1G PLUS v3.06 adds support for <standard> expansion modules RFEMWSUB3G and RFEM24G so you are now able to expand your device with additional frequency range. We are working hard to bring you additional <Plus> expansion modules soon.

For detailed info and download please visit this link.

Our special thanks go to the Beta Testers who contributed with feedback and support testing Presets deeply.
May 25, 2018, 10:22 AM
Is the final release 1.26 the same file as was sent out to beta testers a couple of weeks ago or do I need to upgrade to this release?
May 25, 2018, 11:35 AM
Electric powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1dtf
Is the final release 1.26 the same file as was sent out to beta testers a couple of weeks ago or do I need to upgrade to this release?
It has a minor change, we suggest upgrade from RC used in the beta testing. You will see 1.26 "8 may" in the about for the new version.
Jun 10, 2018, 10:32 AM
Hi guys! Wondering I could get some assistance with the RF explorer. Just got myself a RF Explorer, 60dBm attenuator and a SMA male to male cable. I was trying to measure the power outputs of my VTx. I have set the attenuator value in the RF explorer to +60 but I'm getting some very very low values like -7dBm when I was expecting something closer to 20dBm (?) and they are consistent across all 3 of my unifies. Is it likely that I have a faulty attenuator or my cable?
Jun 10, 2018, 11:06 PM
Embrace the suck!
One way to check is to use antennas instead of attenuator & cable, if you get higher than 7dB you know that it's an equipment problem. A couple meters separation will be enough attenuation in that scenario, but it's not as precise as direct coupling. Before doing that, try all the channels with the direct connection to see if there is variance, I've had several VTx's that have a wide envelope of power output depending on what channel they are tuned to.
Jun 11, 2018, 07:47 AM
I tried it out with just the antenna. Put the quad 1 meter away from the RF Explorer and powered it on. I got a value of -60dBm +/-2 for my Unify Pros on 25mW.
Jun 12, 2018, 05:43 PM
Electric powered
Hi - can you put a picture of your direct cable + attenuator setup, as well as screen of the RF Explorer?
Jun 16, 2018, 11:09 AM

Help with Testing Taranis X9D Units

Greetings all. First off I am still learning about this topic so please excuse me if I am presenting very basic questions. I have a lightly used RF Explorer 3G Combo that I purchased off the classifieds here. It came with 2013 firmware so I upgraded to the lastest. It must be an early model but it seemed almost new and I believe it sat unused for some years. My first task with this device was to test my Taranis X9D units (I have a few) that have been modified to take a 5db antenna.

A Taranis is supposed to ouput 100mW nominally and most people report about 75mw I think. That is 18-20 dbm, right?

Here is my setup and results for two modified Taranis units. The power channel reading in the power channel tab for both units was pretty consistent with my results below. The problem is that this only seems to be less than 1 milliwatt. What am I missing? Surely both X9Ds are not outputting 1mw? I was having range issues with one unit at 300 meters last week but I was thinking this was due to antenna placement and local RF from a radio tower. The suspect Taranis is Taranis #1. It seems to be outputting less than Taranis #2.

I was looking for some other Taranis test results with the RF explorer but I did not see any. Am I using this device correctly and should my results be concerning? Or could the expansion board have been damaged. Is there a better way to test these units?

Also, the right port connector can take 1W input (30dbm) but I cannot seem to set the meter to a max of 30dbm amplitude. Why is that?

Edit I added a comparison to a 3rd Taranis with a stock antenna taking a reading using the 2.4 rubber ducky 1/4 wave monopole that came with the unit. I also have included a picture of how I did this reading.

If anyone can help me I would be very grateful.
Last edited by Marc Dornan; Jun 16, 2018 at 12:07 PM.
Jun 16, 2018, 12:33 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Taranis (and lots of other stuff) uses FHSS, so you need to disable all filters and still will see only short spikes in 2400-2480MHz range.
If you want to check power output - pick other equipment, like VTX/handheld radio and so on.
Jun 16, 2018, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas
Taranis (and lots of other stuff) uses FHSS, so you need to disable all filters and still will see only short spikes in 2400-2480MHz range.
If you want to check power output - pick other equipment, like VTX/handheld radio and so on.
Ok. I understand that. But I can see the amplitude of the spikes. You are describing the observed traces. And I have it set to hold the Max readings. Are they not an accurate representation? Am I missing a setting? Surely there must be a way to test a Taranis with an RX Explorer?

Quick Reply