Mar 06, 2011, 01:57 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Thread OP
Discussion

HobbyKing Icon-A5 for FPV?

I was poking around the HobbyKing website and stumbled across this rather large airplane. The cockpit is enormous and I got to thinking it might actually make an interesting FPV project.

Here is the link:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16605

Here are specs:

Specifications:
Wingspan: 1800mm
Length: 1150mm
Flying Weight: 2.5KG
Motor: 3740 400kv Brushless
ESC: 60A (Required)
Servos: 5 x 17g and 1 x 25g MG
Battery: 22.2v 6s 2800-3200mah (Required)
Propeller: 12x6E
Spinner: 1.5in

Required:
ESC: 60A
Battery: 22.2v 6s 2800-3200mah
Servos: 2 x 17g (for Flap option only)
Your own Tx/Rx

It might be a fun project because the way it is set up, you can fly it off ground or water.

Any thoughts?

Doug
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2011, 04:31 PM
Internal Paradigm Consultant
Looks interesting. Huge space inside.

Personally I think it is ugly looking and also looks draggy.
Also very pricey (200$).

I would go for a Skywalker instead (89$)
Mar 06, 2011, 05:08 PM
Someone had one of these with a GoPro, then a blackbox on it. Was MR_B maybe? They said it didn't handle wind well, was impossible to glide without the motor on (I remember a very intense video when the motor cut out) but was very easy to set up.

Honestly I think the Skywalker looks better in every sense.
Mar 06, 2011, 05:23 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorns
Someone had one of these with a GoPro, then a blackbox on it. Was MR_B maybe? They said it didn't handle wind well, was impossible to glide without the motor on (I remember a very intense video when the motor cut out) but was very easy to set up.

Honestly I think the Skywalker looks better in every sense.
Yes I think Mr_B had one, he gave it a go but if i remember well he decided to put it away. The video was very unstable. maybe it is because of the short tail boom that makes it twitchy
Mar 06, 2011, 07:27 PM
Crashomatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99
Yes I think Mr_B had one, he gave it a go but if i remember well he decided to put it away. The video was very unstable. maybe it is because of the short tail boom that makes it twitchy
yep ive heard the same on another forum, seemed too hard to fix and wasnt recommended at all unfortunately
Mar 06, 2011, 08:11 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Thread OP
Thanks everyone.... I agree about the Skywalker. The ICON just looked pretty interesting with its amphibious capabilities.

Doug
Jul 13, 2011, 02:08 PM
Tech freak
I have a thread in the waterplanes section of the Icon.
Deciding factors for me was land and water capabilities, roomy fuselage and a decent 1800mm span. Will be my first fpv plane.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1469996
Jul 13, 2011, 03:20 PM
I have the smaller version from Hobbycity.

I am very disappointed with it, almost impossible to fly with that bird. With low throttle it more or less flyable, but hard to climb with such low throttle.

With even slightly higher throttle it became extremely unstable, the situation is similar to a tipstall, but of course at such high speed it can't be that. It drops nose and rolls in the same time into a spiral, without correct reponse to the aileron or elevator. Really hard to avoid death spiral. The situation is the opposite to a good plane: normally escaping from the spiral you need high throttle, but with this plane the only chance to lower throttle until aileron response comes back...

The only good feature is the very strong foam, it survived several crashes without any visible sign.
Hard to tell what is wrong with it. I suspect that the hollow bottom wing is too weak, subject of twisting torsions.

Quick Reply