Mar 06, 2011, 03:55 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Thread OP
Discussion

Scratch build or junk assembly? Not a junk flier, anyway.

A friend gave me a heap of stuff including fuselages, wings and tails for those horrible twin brushed motored, Ni-Cad burdened toys that people buy and crash on the first outing.
This is how I used the junk to make a little 1006 CM wing-span powered glider.
I'll maiden it when the gales abate...
Last edited by Whiskers; Mar 07, 2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added to title (I don't know why)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2011, 06:17 AM
space1
GREAT JOB do canopy in black. PS HF has yellow bee wing for $3.00
Mar 06, 2011, 10:01 AM
Really creative use of someone's "junk". Great to see these items put to good use.

Cliff
Mar 06, 2011, 10:29 AM

I have a greater attachment.

For any plane made of spares or modifications by me. ARF is OK. To start with
Mar 06, 2011, 08:48 PM
treefinder
Sweet! Love it when a plan (however random) comes together! Didja shrink the canopy, or luck out and find one the right shape????
Mar 06, 2011, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
I guess I sorta made my own luck with the canopy. I grabbed one of those conical topped PET bottles and made my cut down into the part where it curves into the screw top.
I marked and cut and fiddled and trimmed and did some cold rolling to persuade it to fit.
It's hinged on one side with clear tape and held down with a crude but effective magnetic thingo on the other side.
I don't know if it was luck or sheer rat cunning, but the CG came out well with no ballast required. I'll be able to move the bat about an inch to fine trim.
Mar 06, 2011, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
Now I need the wind to slow down a bit.
Mar 06, 2011, 11:25 PM
treefinder
I'm thinking rat cunning! What, you mean the weather isn't perfect?????? Ah, well at least you're above freezing! predicting 3mph winds here tomorrow, but 11F.....
Mar 07, 2011, 12:07 AM
Thread OP
11F? Don't leave the house unless you wear a heavy duty survival suit and make the dog wear one of those little Brandy barrels on his collar.
Here, we are a mere 26C above freezing just now and it's stopped blowing, but showers are around and about.
Tomorrow morning should be OK I hope.
Last edited by Whiskers; Mar 07, 2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Fixed 1 typo, but there may be more <sigh>
Mar 07, 2011, 05:24 PM
Thread OP

We have liftoff!

It flies well, but it will fly better.
The first test glide showed it was nose heavy. Rather than move the LiPo (wedged in with EPP) I taped a weight on the rear end. The second glide indicated we were OK to go, so go we did.
No dramas on launch but because the control surfaces are much smaller and less sensitive than my usual setup I had moment of, "Huh? It's not responding!"
After puttering around the sky for a while I got used to having to use a heap of stick for a small correction and it was all pretty nice.
The glide is quite good (for what it is) and it was no problem to do a gentle at-the-feet landing.
I then removed the weight and shoved the LiPo rearwards and went again and it was a decided improvement.
The thing is rigged with a bit of side-thrust (seems good) but no down-thrust and it wants to go nose-up under power. I notice it is trimmed with up elevator, so I'll put some packing under the leading edge of the wing and get that sorted out and then see about down-thrust.
It should be an OK little plane.
Last edited by Whiskers; Mar 07, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Mar 09, 2011, 09:58 PM
Thread OP
Just back from a half hour flight to test two changes.
1/8" balsa packers under the leading edge of the wing and a small sub-fin, added for two reasons. I felt it needed a bit more fin area, plus it will help to keep the tail-plane off the ground when landing (no problem so far, but better safe than sorry)
It flies quite well now, it even caught a couple of thermals, but it does need down-thrust, so that's the next thing to do. Then we'll see about a folding prop.
Mar 12, 2011, 02:06 PM
Crazy, not stupid
Love planes like this. Always fun to create something that actually flies from rubbish. Especially the 'free' part is good!
Mar 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
I am surprised how much fun it is to tune up this little plane. I can't explain it... but there it is.
Mar 12, 2011, 04:11 PM
My plans are in my blog
Cool, dude. I'm glad you got it to fly well.
Mar 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
Thanks RG. I'm going to (sorta) scratch build a folding prop for it. We'll see how it goes.

Quick Reply