May 05, 2011, 08:32 PM
Capt. Jack

Graig

Thanks Craig! Hopefully some of our guys can make it. As for me, I'm just not ready yet because I'm scrambling to make next months tug event. can't wait!
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2011, 09:42 PM
Capt. Jack

Priming hull

Started the Mary Jo hull work today in prep for painting. Oil base primer after a little bit more sanding

Last edited by Fodigo; May 06, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
May 05, 2011, 10:06 PM
Dave
That hull looks awesome
Nice work
Greg
May 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
Capt. Jack

Get together #3 DETAILS

Saturday May 28, 2011 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM
Lucchesi Park, Petaluma
<Petaluma Community Center>

SoCoBoaters Celebrates MEMORIAL DAY

Bring your boats and hey, dress them up and proudly fly the colors.

There's also a new table under the trees now and that means SHADE! It's going to be a perfect day for boating and meeting new members. All is welcome. The dock will be afloat for anyone who needs a cool place to stay their boat while chowing some chips and dip.

Dress up your boat for memorial day and honor our veterans. Boats will also be on display. 12:30-2:30pm May 28.

Expected highlights: Fighter Catamaran, brushless mini-v that's jaw dropping, sail and military boats along with US coast guard representation and more. Miss Budweiser 1/8 scale Hydroplane will also make a special appearance. Feel free to bring your project boats to add to the display.

Admission is: FREE
May 12, 2011, 12:24 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thought some of youz guys was coming down for the Team Slalom Event! What Hap?
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
May 12, 2011, 03:26 PM
Capt. Jack

Sorry Graig, my boat just wasn't ready but I have solid plans to make your June 4th tug day!!! Greg in our group also has a Spinger tug! I hope Jeff Matthews finished his massive ocean liner! Would like to see that down there "in the water" this time. . . .

Were planning a May 28th get together in Petaluma. Can you make it?
May 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
Capt. Jack

Progress continues

Additions to to docks continue (Dock Building 101)

The slips width are measured in 1 inch increments starting at 7 inchs and max slip width 10 inches.
Hoping to accommondate as many Captains as possbable.

Flotation pieces are cut out for under dock.

First fiberglassing to contain the styrofoam.

Top coating the deck. This was hard because I had three to do per each section of
foberglass tape and only about 5 minutes to cover, cut, wrap and move onto the next
piece before the tape hardened. Working with rubber gloves didn't speed things up either.

Last edited by Fodigo; May 12, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
May 12, 2011, 10:28 PM
Capt. Jack

Rc boat launcher

I saw this at Costco today. Not necessarily made specifically for launching a boat but after pondering the idea like a crazy engineer, this seems to be the easiest way. Just put your "heavy" or cumbersome boat on the skid and lower it in. I plan to mount a "V" form on the skid to add a little stability during moving ships.

By the way, $20 bucks!

Collapsing

Expanding

Wheels fold out as the plate drops.

Extending the handle was all about grasping the red bar and it locks into place

Holds up to 150 pounds

Example of THE IDEA. Gone are the days of leaning over the water, coming home
with a back injury, and a few near miss unplanned drinks of water and/or drying of
Shoes!

Last edited by Fodigo; May 12, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
May 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
Capt. Jack

Building the rockies

... Oops double post
Last edited by Fodigo; May 14, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
May 13, 2011, 11:47 PM
Capt. Jack

Building the rockies

At the end of the docks, I wanted to have a few large rocks emerging from the water. Given rocks sink, I'm going to try to simulate it and make it easily detachable - in case this idea sinks too.

Mock up design.

I added a 2x4 hanger at the end. Plan to mount some sort of bracket to it so i can attach the rocks to the pier easier. Frame work using 1/2" square galvanized metal screen to form the basic pattern.

Adding a few pieces of flotation just in case.

Well, this looks pretty - pretty ugly!

Starting to take form after the first run of glassing material is wrapped. Now it will give me an idea of what I'll need to affix it to the dock.

Might as well add a small cove / but it'll look more like a blow hole by the time it's fully dressed.

After test fitting, I found I can add an L bracket. Drill the holes out more to accommodate a bolt and the epoxy the end of a bolt at the top.

Now with one hand screwed nut on top, the entire structure fits secured. I'm hoping the fine detail will hide the nut later on.

I know, looks more like a cocoon but it should look more like rocks later.
May 14, 2011, 04:55 PM
Capt. Jack

This just in: rocks-r-us

I brain stormed last night on how to make the rock pattern then came up with this idea.

Anything with "great" in it's name has got to be good!, right?

After hitting a small area, I was given the green light to go crazy on it.

I hope it's not triple expanding. Guess I'll find out in a couple hours (LOL).

May 14, 2011, 10:23 PM
Capt. Jack

Pitting rocks

I learned a little trick in giving the rocks little divots instead of being smooth from the expanding foam.

After about 5 minutes after I foamed it up, I hit it with a very light spray. The paint ate right into the foam leaving it marked and pitted. The look I was trying for with the first foaming. Hard to believe this took two cans of the spray foam!

I'll add highlights shortly after this fully sets up. I have a feeling it will grow even more tonight (LOL). The BLOB returns.

May 15, 2011, 03:01 AM

Save the file, make a few print outs and drop 'em off at the local hobby shops! Thanks
Last edited by craig_c; May 15, 2011 at 07:30 PM.
May 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
Capt. Jack

Mucho groceries

Thanks Craig for posting up the info. I appreciate it. Spreckels is going to be crazy filled with tugs. I can hardly wait. The saga of my tug will be there for sure! It's been 6 months of constant work but should be ready to go on tug day.

Read all about it here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1328181

... Hey, that little blip about "don't YOU miss" wasn't directed towards me, was it? .
I've already made plans with the wife and that's as good as written in stone!
... Or blood.
May 15, 2011, 07:11 PM
Nope..LOL, but now that you mentioned it...

Honest!
Last edited by craig_c; May 15, 2011 at 07:33 PM.