SoCoBo (Sonoma County Boaters) - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 20, 2011, 11:31 PM
Capt. Jack

small car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
So where do I put all my other stuff? table, chairs, unbrella, rolling toolbox, dolly, club sign, rescue device, sails, not to mention 4 or 5 boats
In your buddies truck? (LOL)

For crying out loud, that's a lot of stuff!

We're lucky to have a park with tables near the water - what a huge ease of getting to the pond. And parking is close too!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2011, 01:15 AM
Hey, I just found this post, I'll come by!

What sort of hoops did you have to jump through to get the use of the pond?
Years ago, I wanted to take my Santa Barbara to Spring Lake in Santa Rosa, but there was a rule posted "No radio control models allowed".

I asked if I could make my boat legal by turning off the radio.
They said No.

I asked what was the objection, then?

They said, they don't want people going in the water to handle their boats.
I said, there's already a rule against going in the water, and I don't need to swim after my boat if it's controlled by radio.

The park ranger agreed to observe how I would do this, and he decided, there was no need to restrict my boat.
I actually got a citation from a park cop with an overactive imagination when I took my boat to San Pablo Reservoir, back in the 80's. I never paid the fine.
The park manager told me afterward, I could bring my boat anytime.

This sort of thing happens a lot. There's a tiny pond in downtown Concord, between the apartment buildings, and people were objecting to the loud model race boats. They got the city to post a rule against model boats, but the Concord Model Engineers caught up just in time to make the rule more specific: No LOUD model boats. That was right after my exercise at San Pablo, which I arranged to appear on the front page of the paper.
Apr 24, 2011, 02:37 AM
Capt. Jack

Reply: bluenortherner

Hi Blue

Yea, I was worried about that too and having been contracted to do their extermination work for quite some time, I knew where the parks director office was and made an unscheduled chat about the use of RC boats in the pond.

Aside a few curious looks, they seemed open and welcoming to the idea. There wasn't any real hard pressing the issue or talks about recovery either. The only negative response was they wanted to make clear not to chase or disturb the wildlife.

Either it was having an inside job that helped or my terminology of "supporting the community" that sealed the deal but regardless, I've never been harassed running my sail or electric boats there. I'm considerate of pedestrian traffic too so no one complains and everyone is happy. Even the ducks.

Sorry to hear about your raw deal. That seems a bit harsh to cite someone over that unless the ranger was a rookie and was in training. And even then, .... That's a bit overkill. But I also know those guys at spring lake and they all seem to hate RC "anything" there. Every law made was because someone sued someone else over being an idiot so as long as were respectful and considerate of the park, we'll should be welcomed there for a long time. You know that saying, "all it takes is o e bad apple to mess things up for the rest of us"? I bet that's what happened with spring lake.

Glad to hear you still got to run (and without a citation). Does this mean they are rethinking RC boats there?
Last edited by Fodigo; Apr 24, 2011 at 02:53 AM.
Apr 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
Capt. Jack

[FONT="Courier New"]Weater report says it's a go for this Saturday [/FONT]

I just checked the weather for Saturday, "... perfect, sunny, and 73 degrees".
Probably the best day we have had all year!

Hope there's enough room for all the boats that head out to the pond.

12:30 to 2pm

Bring em if ya got em

320 N.McDowell Bl, Petaluma
Last edited by Fodigo; Apr 28, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
Apr 30, 2011, 06:46 PM
Capt. Jack

Outing/get together

SoCoBoaters outing Lucchesi park. 10 boats and a dock! Nice boat turnout for our second get together.

Day : full sunshine
Winds:at times, 13-15 mph. Then the sail boats arrived. But towards around 1:30pm, the winds calmed down and the water was nice.

Jeff's Massive! Scratch built. Pic just doesn't do this beauty justice.

America's Cup

Chezoom! The hull and skagg

Greg couldn't wait to get his mini-v out on the water. running a brushless in this boat was like cramming a jet engine into a VW bug.

He also brought his Springer tug bug somehow missed the pic of that one. It was really cool.

Check this beast out. 1/98 scale hull build of Texaco tanker. At least 6 feet long. An even smaller scale was next to it. Anyone want to build a mold for this girl?

40 inch Midwest PT109. Battery and ESC test.

Race boats pulled into port

The new dock's first float;

As soon as the dock was water bound and all checked out as being sound, boats started parking. The USCG was there for support.

Last edited by Fodigo; Apr 30, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Apr 30, 2011, 08:33 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
looks like you guys had a great time..........

joe
Apr 30, 2011, 09:36 PM
It was a great time.
Greg
May 01, 2011, 09:45 PM
Capt. Jack

San Francisco

FYI, the SFMYC is having a tug "team slalom" event on Saturday at Sprekel's lake in S.F. Not quite sure of the time but I'm assuming it's a morning gig as there's a sailing event scheduled for 1pm on their calendar.

Sadly,the "Mary Jo" is still dry docked for repairs so she won't be attending. Looks like a really great event for anyone interested and judging by their tug festival last year, it will have a good turn out.
Last edited by Fodigo; Dec 28, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
May 03, 2011, 09:55 PM
Mmm, tugs...
I like that tanker, Blue!

p.s, bluenorther is my bro, more than anyone else, he got me started in boats...
May 04, 2011, 03:43 PM
Capt. Jack

Tanker

Thanks Patmat for the reply - yea - that Tanker was crazy cool! A jaw dropper to see it in person. And huge at 1/98 scale! It was at least 6 feet if not longer. Good thing he didn't go for the 1/30 scale like my tug. The pond wouldn't have been able to contain it all.

That's Jeff Matthew's work in progress and he's looking at possibly running it through a guy in New York who can make a fiberglass mold for it. But he's also looking here in California for a local to do it which would be more convient. Jeff told me he used several large blocks of wood and "free handed" the basic form using a hand sander/grinder. It very symetical and you would have thought a CNC machine made the cuts. Jeff's certainly done his homework on this one. The "scale ships" magazine (inside the hull) and velum scrolls he drafted out (as seen to the right of this photo) were very detailed.

I didn't get to meet Bluenorther at the gathering tho - maybe next time.
It was certainly a beautiful day for boating.

Since SoCoBo is still new, I plan to have at least 1 outing a month as a group until we have a nice showing of regulars, then extend it to more outings and hold a few events in time.

Of the get together's we have had, there's always someone new with a new type of boat that arrives. The Ocean Tanker that came out this time as a bit of a shocker (LOL) but certainly was also the most impressive thing we have seen so far.

The more the merrier!
Last edited by Fodigo; May 04, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
May 04, 2011, 04:42 PM
Hi All - I'm new to R/C Boating and would like to know if there are any R/C models of sailing catamarans available ?
JACK SPOERING - OCALA, FLORIDA, USA
j.acbar1@hotmail.com
May 04, 2011, 04:45 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Yep, more on the tanker saga at: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1142176

Hey Blue, maybe Scale Shipyard would take it on, if Karl at Microglass or Loyalhanna are too far...
May 04, 2011, 06:08 PM
Capt. Jack
Ah, see - now there's something I didn't know..

By the way - this is how we looked when we first saw it - only bigger.

May 04, 2011, 06:11 PM
Capt. Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Spoering
Hi All - I'm new to R/C Boating and would like to know if there are any R/C models of sailing catamarans available ?
JACK SPOERING - OCALA, FLORIDA, USA
j.acbar1@hotmail.com
Hey Jack: what size - scale are you looking for? Price?? I recall seeing something like that so I know they are out there.

heres a link to a few sail cat boats:
http://members.chello.nl/~t.iwema/Catamaran.html

or try this link:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1579&bih=584

Just to give you a few suggestions...

(SoCoBoaters) RC Boating: http://socoboaters.webs.com/

I included a few videos of them too (below). Seems to be hard to keep them on an even keel when trying to get it tilted, especially with a good one (see first video). It's in German but you'll get the idea.

Robbe Topcat RC Sail Catamaran (3 min 11 sec)

This one wants to snow-plow when up on a keel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti9gg...eature=related

They seem pretty difficult to manage on the water - especially for someone new to boating. In my opinion, sailing is probably the more challenging of boats when it comes to RC boating. Not that it's so difficult only a skilled person could do it, but wind can be unforgiving at times and it often requires a constant steady hand. I think unless I sailed it flat all the time (with both sponsons on the water), I would get frustrated or bored with it because of i'd forever be pushing it's limts, turn it over, and have to throw the tennis ball/fishing string over it every 5 minutes to recover the boat. You might want to consider a single hull first - then try the sail cat after a while.

They do look neat on the water (under a skilled hand) but also seem more trouble than they are worth after watching the videos. To me, sailing should be a stress reliever - not a stress builder.
Last edited by Fodigo; May 04, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
May 04, 2011, 11:14 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodigo
FYI, the SFMYC is having a tug "team slalom" event on Saturday at Sprekel's lake in S.F. Not quite sure of the time but I'm assuming it's a morning gig ...

Sign-in is at 09:30 hrs and contestants usually start running the course within the following half hour.

See you there.
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...