SoCoBo (Sonoma County Boaters) - RC Groups
Mar 05, 2011, 07:09 PM
Capt. Jack
Discussion

SoCoBo (Sonoma County Boaters)

SCB - SoCoBo - SoCoBoaters...
Which ever it evolves to... Sonoma County Boaters is a new group forming for RC boaters in the North Bay area, California.

Saturday March 5, 2011 the first official get together of the Sonoma RC group.

Anyone wanting to come and hang out with us is welcome. Doesnt matter if you have a boat or not. Several people and kids walking by got to try their hands at RC sailing and had a blast. The youngest was 3 and a half. The oldest.. Humm. I guess age is a state of mind.

The US Coast Guard was on hand to monitor boat operations.

"Che-Zoom" was there to make an America's Cup appearance.

The club's Mascot was there - although she was dry docked for repairs.

US Navy PT109 also celebrated the occasion.

Anyone wanting additional information can visit our website for details

Cheers!
http://socoboaters.webs.com/

Dave (Capt. Jack)
SoCoBoaters@yahoo.com
Last edited by Fodigo; Apr 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2011, 07:38 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodigo
Saturday March 5, 2011 the first official get together of the Sonoma RC group.

Anyone wanting to come and hang out with us is welcome. Doesnt matter is you have a boat or not. Several people and kids walking by got to try their hands at RC sailing and had a blast. The youngest was 3 and a half. The oldest.. Humm. I guess age is a state of mind.

The US Coast Guard was on hand to monitor boat operations.

"Che-Zoom" was there to make an America's Cup appearance.

The club's Mascot was there - although she was dry docked for repairs.

US Navy PT109 also celebrated the occasion.

Anyone wanting additional information can visit our website for details

Cheers!

Dave (Capt. Jack)
SoCoBoaters@yahoo.com
ya got that right......age is just a number.....BTW nice lake.....

joe
Mar 05, 2011, 10:09 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Great pictures, nice web site.
Mar 05, 2011, 10:15 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Looks like a nice venue to sail a boat at.
Mar 06, 2011, 08:58 AM
Nice site. Hell just the fact you have open water makes it a nice site.
Mar 06, 2011, 03:34 PM
Capt. Jack
Thanks guys. Our group is off to a great start.

Miller-Time: Thanks bro. I've worked pretty hard on making the website real easy to use and useful. For a limited time, most is accessible and viewable without registering. For those who do register, they have complete unlimited access. And it's free.

Green-boat: The Petaluma Community Center really is untapped waters. I rarely see anyone using their pond for RC boats so for SoCoBoaters, it's got that exclusive appeal to it aside it being large and perfect for boats! I spoke to the director there who seemed a bit clueless as to how the waters could be used. But after, we agreed sail and electric would be great for the community.
Last edited by Fodigo; Mar 06, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Mar 06, 2011, 08:22 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
i just wish we had ponds like this in ventura county,,,,,,

joe
Apr 06, 2011, 06:45 PM
Capt. Jack

Dock work planned for SoCoBoaters

Here's an update on the SoCoBoater's marina being made. Since there's just a few boats in the group currently, this design will house everyone but there's plenty of room for expansion when new guys sign up. I also have an idea for mooring the boats in the dock but I'll wait to reveal that secret until more is completed.

Basic Layout

Fiberglass tape applied to the flotation under the dock to help keep the styrofoam secure and add buoyancy.

Working on the main decking fiberglass.

Got the dock's hut basic structure nearly completed. Still have a lot of detail work to go. It took a lot of flat sticks to make and several hot glue gun - glue sticks!

The upper half is mostly fiberglassed. The lower half still needs a lot of glass work. I was able to get the connecting wood dowel pins drilled and set so it will have easy assembly at the pond. I'm sure it will need some tweaking after it takes it's first bath.

Apr 13, 2011, 08:28 AM
Capt. Jack

SoCoBoaters

Hi guys- Were revving up for our next group outing!

April 30th between 12:30 and 2pm. Lucchesi park (Petaluma community center). Bring your electric and sail boats or dry docked boats for display.

With the portable marina nearing it's second stage of construction, it will be ready for a water test on that day.

Everyone is welcome and if your not already a part of the group, grab your boat and join us anyway.

Dave
SoCoBoaters@yahoo.com
Web: http://socoboaters.webs.com/
Apr 13, 2011, 08:40 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Another new club? Awesome...great to see new clubs and good job on the pics too. Fair winds to ya and the club...
Apr 14, 2011, 11:41 PM
Capt. Jack
Hey, thanks hoghappy! We certainly appreciate the winds of good will as they pass our direction for sure!

Matter fact, that amped me up for some more boat dock work.
I fiberglassed a couple more decks and test float the smallest section which did great! Afterwards, I picked up some thick rubber tubing and went to town on applying the bumpers.

Aged the bumpers a little to give em that worn in look. Hopes are by the time it's finished, it'll look to have about 7-10 years of good use.

Apr 15, 2011, 07:46 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Wow...I would love to build a cool dock...but no more room in my little Yaris... I wish someone with a truck close to the pond would do this....Scooter?
Apr 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
Capt. Jack

Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
Wow...I would love to build a cool dock...but no more room in my little Yaris... I wish someone with a truck close to the pond would do this....Scooter?
Hoghappy. If you have the flop down rear passage that leads to the trunk, I bet you could fit this dock in your car. For the dock lengths, I used 1x4's 5feet in length boards. 4 total but cut one for added parking. The bait and tackle platform is all foam but I added the fiberglass strips for strength. The fiberglass is casting material I got from a medical vendor a long time ago and one of those things I kept in the garage for that, "one day I might use it" cause. yeah! Another box out of the garage!!!!

I built the hut using a huge block of foam for the base and built around it. Pretty basic but I plan to really dress it up in the near future.

So, no excuses. Good luck on your marina build
Apr 19, 2011, 08:37 AM
Capt. Jack

Bait and tackle

More progress on bait and tack building for the docks.

Apr 19, 2011, 08:42 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodigo
Hoghappy. If you have the flop down rear passage that leads to the trunk, I bet you could fit this dock in your car.
So, no excuses. Good luck on your marina build
So where do I put all my other stuff? table, chairs, unbrella, rolling toolbox, dolly, club sign, rescue device, sails, not to mention 4 or 5 boats

Looking good BTW!