20m Antares in 1/3 scale by Baudis - RC Groups
Mar 03, 2011, 10:22 PM
Discussion

20m Antares in 1/3 scale by Baudis

My interest in Scale Aerotow was limited to building and flying vintage gliders until I observed GPS Triangle racing. I wanted to give it a go and started to look for a 1/3 scale Ventus similar to Rick Shelby's. After explaining what I was up to I was directed to the Antares by Baudis. I pulled the trigger and a few weeks later a big box was ready to pick up at Fed Ex.

This will be a build thread but more importantly I ask for comments and suggestions as I simply do not know about alot of things.

If you didn't know the workmanship by the craftsman at Baudis is beyond words. I feel like I'm handling a piece of fine art.

Regards Dean
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2011, 11:38 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Hi Dean

That neat sailplane will be a pleasure to build knowing all the care that wen't into designing & building the kit, boy it going to be hard not to be building 24-7 with such a great project setting in your workshop.
I will be tuned in each day to see the progress on that baby, have fun.

Don
Mar 04, 2011, 12:13 AM
Team Horizon
Dean,

Being an ex-helo mechanic, I would bet that you are no fan of soldered connectors. Below are some pictures I took of my Multiplex / Graupner style connectors on my Fox. I found that the female crimp pins found in male servo connectors were a perfect fit on the pins at the back of these style connectors. The picture I did not take was after all the pins were in place, they are kept there with a nice glob of goop. It is clear, so you can see if there is any disturbance later on and it is flexible to absorb any vibration.
Mar 04, 2011, 12:32 AM
great idea and a gorgous model!
Mar 04, 2011, 01:02 AM
Bro
Bro

Antares

Dean,
NICE! Glad you came down and picked it up, I did not want to ship that beauty!
I got my eyes on one of these for big air days!

Best,
Bob
Latest blog entry: 2015
Mar 04, 2011, 01:36 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Beautiful looking model. Jiri certainly knows what he's doing
Mar 04, 2011, 08:35 AM
Very nice, Dean! Subscribed!

Randy
Mar 04, 2011, 09:01 AM
Team JR Air
Congrats Dean! I've been drooling over this ever since the photos of Bob's booth at the AMA Convention. Beautiful!

You mentioned the tow release servo, I've become partial to the JR 8411 for tow release. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JRPS8411

Good luck with it. Post a couple hundred more photos when you get a chance.

Steve
Mar 04, 2011, 09:59 AM
TEAM HORIZON
Dean, Congratulations on the plane, very nice indeed. Did the wing covers come with the plane?
I agree with Steve about the servo, the tow release is often a place were people cheap out, however its somewhere you need a good strong servo. If you have the need to bail out in a hurry, the line will usually be under tension, meaning it will put a load on the servo when asked to release.
my 2Cent

LEN
Last edited by Lbuff1; Jun 23, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Mar 04, 2011, 11:11 AM
yyz
yyz
Very nice, Dean. Great choice. Looks like the airfoil is from the Ceres Lift or Fosa F3B ships. There clearly won't be any lack of giddy up in that plane!

Mike
Mar 04, 2011, 12:34 PM
Also known as simon_t
I believe it is the Dirk Phlug section from the original Ceres, a very fast section (I know I have two Ceres with many competition wins under their belts...)

Simon
Mar 04, 2011, 12:48 PM
quickee

Antares

Dean
I went with JR-378 in all control functions in the wing.
Used JR-3421 elevator, 378 rudder
Hitec -7945 TH titanium 319 oz retract
same for tow release---a bit over kill but works
Flew last week at Point of Mountain winds 25-32
it rocks---loves speed,turns great ,lands fantastic.
Enclosed are pics from the other day.

-Ron-
Mar 04, 2011, 01:23 PM
Team Horizon
Dean,
I am guessing you like to use JR servos for the same reason I do. They are great, super accurate servos, but more important, they are great people who fully support out little corner of the hobby. And of course their legendary service goes without saying. However, for retracts and tow release servos, I like to use the Hitec digitals. I have been using the 5955 just because I had some left over and I have the programmer for them. If I had to buy new, I would probably get the 7955 or similar. The reason I like these servos for this application is because they are programmable for end points and resolution, among other things. I can program them for exactly the right amount of travel while maxing out the travel in the transmitter. This keeps them from traveling too far and getting in a bind. On the 7900 series you can also turn down the resolution to keep them from buzzing when they are at the end points. Oh, and they are sold by Horizon, so if you buy them from Horizon, at least the money is going to JR's partner here in the US.

Don't let me talk you out of using a JR servo if that is what you want to use. I suppose the JR retract servo could also be a good choice in addition to the 8411.

Rick