Mar 03, 2011, 11:48 AM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Thread OP
Discussion

FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9X Battery Solutions

Post what battery you're running in your 9X radio!

Battery: ZIPPY Flightmax 1800mAh 9.9V 5C LiFePo4 TX Pack

Cost: $10.64 + shipping from US warehouse (available in international warehouse as well)

Notes: Fits extremely well, snug without having to force the pack into the TX. Has enough room to store balance adapter. Had to change "discharge" plug to 2S balance plug (only 2 pins are used). Can then retain factory 8xAA battery holder without cutting the adapter off. I'm told you can also remove the plastic plug/cover from the TX and use the plug the battery comes with to attach directly to the pins.

In order to charge in the TX, I needed to remove the positive lead from it's factory location and re-solder to the positive battery pin on the rear sub-board.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2011, 12:01 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4v3man

In order to charge in the TX, I needed to remove the positive lead from it's factory location and re-solder to the positive battery pin on the rear sub-board.
NEVER charge the LiPo in the Tx. Always remove it and charge in a safe location.
Mar 03, 2011, 12:17 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
NEVER charge the LiPo in the Tx. Always remove it and charge in a safe location.
Can you explain why you feel this way? Charging a LiFe pack (which is inherently safer than a LiPo pack) at low amperage, while using the balance connector seems like minimal risk. Sure, if I was charging at 10A, heating up the pack, overloading the leads/traces in the radio it would be risky, but I fail to see the danger of my current situation.
Mar 03, 2011, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
I ran 9X with 2500 2SLiPo. Yes, 7.4V. It lasts many days flying.
Jun 24, 2011, 10:34 PM

What type of charger do you use for this?

I purchased the battery recommended, but I have a Triton 2 which does not support LiFePo4 batteries. Can you help me on how best to get this one battery charged? Could I use the Triton 2 with special settings?
Jun 25, 2011, 07:33 AM
Get a charger that is capable of charging LiFe packs. Voltages are different
Aug 10, 2012, 05:11 PM
NewBie - Always crash

My zippy 9.9v life (new)

Hello,
I just get a Zipp 9.9v life, happens to charge the battery in imax b6 appearing on error voltage, low voltage cell, i charge in LiION and nimh mode, the voltage on the multimeter in each cell is 3.31v but appearing on the error always, someone knows the problem
Aug 10, 2012, 07:41 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4v3man
Can you explain why you feel this way? Charging a LiFe pack (which is inherently safer than a LiPo pack) at low amperage, while using the balance connector seems like minimal risk. Sure, if I was charging at 10A, heating up the pack, overloading the leads/traces in the radio it would be risky, but I fail to see the danger of my current situation.
Not sure why I thought you were using LiPo. I agree LiFe is much safer, but it's not totally foolproof, so better to charge out of the TX. But it's much less of a deal than LiPo.
Aug 11, 2012, 12:09 PM
B12
B12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoFlyer
Hello,
I just get a Zipp 9.9v life, happens to charge the battery in imax b6 appearing on error voltage, low voltage cell, i charge in LiION and nimh mode, the voltage on the multimeter in each cell is 3.31v but appearing on the error always, someone knows the problem
Change the mode to LiFe from the "program" screen of the b6.

I have the Hobbyking 1500mAh Life on my radios.
Aug 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
Aerospace enthusiast
Just bought Lipo Turnigy 2650Mah TX PACK:

It's fit with deafult conectors (just note position os power and ground) or, like I did, change the plug to one "original" that comes with 8x AA, and be happy!
Last edited by DRONE_NERD; Aug 12, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Aug 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by So_Bad
I use this one, works great. I put the connector from the stock AA holder on there, but the black connector worked fine. I only switched it for a slightly better mechanical fit.
Aug 12, 2012, 03:47 AM
NewBie - Always crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12
Change the mode to LiFe from the "program" screen of the b6.

I have the Hobbyking 1500mAh Life on my radios.
Hello, I've done it, but appearing on the same error: (
Aug 12, 2012, 05:28 AM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoFlyer
Hello,
If it's at 3.31 per cell, it's essentially fully charged. LiFe do go to 3.6v per cell at 100% charge but the voltage increase at the end is quite rapid and if the cells are not quite equal in capacity, one will get there first and trigger the error message.

Use it as is and when it gets down to about 3.1v per cell, recharge. I think you will find that it recharges normally, though it may stop a little short of 3.6v/cell.

By not quite charging to maximum voltage, you lose just a few minutes of operation. Not a problem.
Aug 09, 2013, 04:08 PM

Need Help

So, I recently picked up a FlySky branded 9x off the forums and just got started flying with a WLToys v949. The 9x stock (not running special firmware) and I don't know if/when I'll upgrade it to anything else.

What I'm looking for is a battery that "just works" if there is one. Meaning it has the right connector for the 9x that I can just plug it in and use & charge it.

Also, I need to know what I'll need for a charger.

Sorry if it's been posted and I missed it but I haven't seen this really yet and this looked like a good thread for this question.

Also, if it would be usable I have a 2C LiPo battery from a dead heli I killed a long time ago. The batt seems ok but I'm not incredibly experienced with LiPo other than what I've read. I have a 2C balance charger for it, so if I can use it with my 9x and charge it externally I can do that too, but I'm not sure how to interface it with the remote.

I'd rather not have to kill the AA pack by removing it's connector for any solution if at all possible.

Thanks!
Aug 18, 2013, 07:18 PM
Gonzo_FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECODRONES

It's fit with deafult conectors (just note position os power and ground) or, like I did, change the plug to one "original" that comes with 8x AA, and be happy!
That being a Lipo pack, do you need to take it out of the Tx to charge, or can you use the little side charging port?

What I I use right now it 8x NiMh AA batteries in the supplied holder which works fine, but I don't like the little plug that I can see getting broken one day from constant removal.

I don't care what battery tech I use, but I want a solution that fits in the battery compartment, and I can simply plug a charger into that side charging port.

Can anyone tell me if the NiMh batteries I have in there now would get properly charged using that port?

Thanks, Mark

Quick Reply