Mar 03, 2011, 07:36 AM
Real Time Recon
Thread OP
Discussion

GOLD $1,435 an Oz.....7/18/11 now $1,600 an oz. 8/8/ 11 now $1.700 an oz.

Still not too late.It WILL be 2 grand by years end.And 5 grand w/in 5 years.
Last 10 years= http://www.blanchardonline.com/marke.../?focus=10year
Last edited by realtimerecon; Aug 18, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Mar 03, 2011, 08:00 AM
Silver at $34 is amazing too. Not sure which is the better investment right now.
Mar 03, 2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Based on what evidence or past history ?

I've seen Gold and silver go up in the past, mostly due to high inflation, or financial up evil, the last coincided with the savings and loan fall out and bank failures in the eighties.
I personally know a few people who were burned badly for over investing in both, the same tings were said then as they are today, "the economy is doomed", "the dollar will crash", "Red money, blue money", "worthless money",
The only way you were going to survive the coming crash was to buy gold and silver, Gold went to about where it is now, silver topped out at about $60. bucks and within a short time the economy started to come back, gold settled in at just under $300. and silver came down to about $4.00.

A lot of folks caught the scare bug, some expected to make money, so they bought "before it was too late", some emptied their bank accounts and bought gold a $800, and $1000, or more, one friend of mine took his life savings of about $15,000 dollars, not much to some folks, but a lot to him.
He bought silver at $43.00 an ounce, less than a year later it was worth a lousy $4. bucks.
Some people asked him why he didn't sell when the price started to go down, his answer was the same as others, he didn't want to loose his investment and took a shot that it would go back up, and he lost most of his savings.

I'm not saying not to build a buffer, I have, but the time to buy is when the times are good and prices are low, not when the panic sets in and the prices are through the roof.
And don't, as some people do, go out and borrow money to buy gold or silver, if it tanks, not only have you lost your investment, but you'll be paying interest on your mistake.
Mar 03, 2011, 08:28 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Accurately predicting the price of gold (I've been in this business since 1973) is not even close to the science of predicting the weather.

I fly model airplanes, and pay attention to the weekend weather forecasts to plan my RC flying.

With that in mind, be careful before you tell others how to invest their money.
Mar 03, 2011, 08:44 AM
Out of Time
Last edited by Highflight; Jul 20, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Mar 03, 2011, 09:07 AM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Gold, or other commodities, could be part of a well-designed portfolio, perhaps at the 5% level, but to speculate in it involves taking a huge risk. For long-term financial security, it would be much smarter to buy the Total Stock Market mutual fund or ETF, than any form of gold. However, if you've met your long-term investing goals, and have some money to gamble, go for it. Lessons sometime require a cash outlay to be learned.
Mar 03, 2011, 09:07 AM
Real Time Recon
Thread OP
It's now $1,593.20 .. .
Last edited by realtimerecon; Jul 16, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Jul 16, 2011, 11:20 AM
Real Time Recon
Thread OP
Up $158.00 ,per oz.. Just from March
Last edited by realtimerecon; Jul 16, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Jul 16, 2011, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
Gold, or other commodities, could be part of a well-designed portfolio, perhaps at the 5% level, but to speculate in it involves taking a huge risk. For long-term financial security, it would be much smarter to buy the Total Stock Market mutual fund or ETF, than any form of gold. However, if you've met your long-term investing goals, and have some money to gamble, go for it. Lessons sometime require a cash outlay to be learned.
The average portfolio is way under that 5% number and as people realize how valuable gold is, they will start to rebalanced and add gold, that may push the price even higher. The 10 year chart on gold is pretty impressive. Since 10/2005 the GLD has beaten the DOW by 250%.
Jul 16, 2011, 11:50 AM
Tu ne cede malis
If you buy as anything but a currency hedge you will likely be burned at some point. My advice is to focus and keep the arguments for it as a speculative investment separate from arguments from using it as a hedge to preserve wealth. As a commodity trader you will need to play it or lose, as a hedge you will be guaranteed not to lose everything and that's all that can be said.
Jul 16, 2011, 11:52 AM
Real Time Recon
Thread OP
As long as obama's in power.And the Fed prints trillions, Gold WILL rise
Jul 16, 2011, 11:59 AM
Tu ne cede malis
in general yes. it's the profit taking sell offs even in that environment which can burn you. that said, if Bernancke really does do round three of 'quantitative easing' (start the presses) then it's a good speculative shot for a while.
Jul 16, 2011, 12:00 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
If you buy as anything but a currency hedge you will likely be burned at some point. My advice is to focus and keep the arguments for it as a speculative investment separate from arguments from using it as a hedge to preserve wealth. As a commodity trader you will need to play it or lose, as a hedge you will be guaranteed not to lose everything and that's all that can be said.
Agreed. Not too long ago the prices on Ferraris were skyrocketing, so along came the the speculators...who got killed when the prices dropped. The people who bought just because they WANTED them could at least console themselves with having something they liked.
Last edited by dll932; Jul 16, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Jul 16, 2011, 12:33 PM
Not THAT Ira
Seems like if you are buying precious metals as a hedge that silver coins make more sense than gold. How the heck do you buy a loaf of bread with a 1oz. gold bar?
Jul 16, 2011, 12:44 PM
Suspended Account
I agree. Besides the fact I can't afford 1oz bars of gold, silver is more affordable. A little here and there to price average it. And it's going to sit until I die or it is needed as money.

Though I have been thinking about buying 1/10 oz and 1/4 oz rounds, so if it ever really comes to needing it for money it will be more 'spendable'. Considering at that point it will be worth a LOT more than it is now.

Quick Reply