Mar 02, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Slope glider made out of Dollar tree foam board?

Hello I am new to building slope gliders and was looking for a simple but effective glider that I can make out of dollar tree foam board basically it is 6mm board. I would like something in the combat flying section. Just some plans with measurements would be fine as I don't normally print plans anyways because my printer doesn't like them. Any tips on scratch building gliders would be welcomed to. where should it balance weight to wing ration... thank you
Foam
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2011, 06:32 PM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1391999

this post has some links besides the main subject.
steeg
Mar 02, 2011, 06:32 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Not foam board but corflute ,but guess you could improvise
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~dazb/dAzi/dAzi.html
Last edited by steve wenban; Mar 02, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Mar 02, 2011, 06:46 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Pibros! Great flying delta, and fun to combat with: http://www.rc-soar.com/pibros/
Mar 02, 2011, 07:11 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
arr yes the Pibros the flying give way sign
Mar 02, 2011, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
ALRIGHT!! thank you guys now I will have some fun and cut up a few of my foam boards.
Foamcrasher
Mar 03, 2011, 08:23 AM
Try a team monkey Swinger, fab foam fun!

http://swinger.propercornishslopers.co.uk/
Mar 03, 2011, 09:51 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself last night. My experience with "wings" and $tree foam board is that if you remove the paper it is to soft and weak, not at all like depron or blu core. If you leave the paper on its quite heavy, about 120 grams per sheet. It becomes difficult to balance wings when the paper is left on since most of the weight is behind the CG to start with.

So my idea was to modify the Micro slope stick

http://www.stevelange.net/spad/

By enlarging the plans 125% to give it a 30 inch wing span. I used hot melt glue for everything. An arrow shaft that has been laying around for years made the stick and an 1/8 inch carbon tube was glued to the underside of the wing at the crease. It weighs 6 ounces using a couple of spectrum 7.5 gram digital servos and a 7 channel Faast reciever and 280 Mah battery. Just stuff that I had laying around looking for a home. I improvised a "pod" to go around the arrow shaft in the front. Calm wind have prevented me from trying it out on the slope but a few side arm launches has shown it to fly OK.

If you build a "wing" keep it light in the back! Better yet learn to hot wire and cut your own cores!

Blue Skies............Tim
Mar 04, 2011, 04:23 PM

Some details

If you open Steve's page and scroll down just a little, you'll see some drawings with a lot of info! Since we want something a little bigger to cope with the 5mm thick $tree foam board lets enlarge every thing by 125%.

Lets start with the wing. Steve's wing is 6X24 inches. So we multiply 6 X 125 and get 750. Move the decimal point over 2 spaces and we get 7.50 or 7 1/2 inches. That's our chord. Next the span, 24 X125 = 30.00 inches. Now cut off a piece of foam board 7 1/2 X 30 inches. The crease need to be made by multiplying 1.8 X125 = 2.25 or 2 1/4 inches. Draw a line 2 1/4 inches back from the leading edge. Next we will lay out the ailerons. 1.5 X125 = 1.875 or 1 7/8 inches. Draw a line in front of the trailing edge 1 7/8 inches. Next find the middle and draw a line from the leading edge to the trailing edge. ( 15 inches) In the aileron area draw a line from the front of the ailerons to the trailing edge that is 1 inch from the center on both sides of the center line. This is now the bottom of your wing. Cut out the ailerons. they should measure 1 7/8 X 14 inches. Bevel the bottom of the ailerons about 45 degrees at their leading edges. Flip the wing over and re position the ailerons with the bevel down. Take some thin clear packing tape and tape the ailerons back in place with 1 piece of tape running from 1 wing tip to the other.Make 2 cuts at the aileron roots and fold the ailerons back over so they are laying flat on top of the wing. Run another piece of tape across the ailerons positioning it about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in front of the bevel. Cut the tape at the ailerons roots and fold the tape around the bevel, the flat edge of the wing then forward on the bottom. The ailerons should now move freely 45 degrees down and 180 degrees up.

Now back to the crease; first make a shallow cut in the foam, do not cut all the way through! Run the end of the spar along the cut . Carefully lift the leading edge up to form the crease. Next block the leading edge up 3/4 of an inch. Take you hot melt glue gun and inject glue the entire length of the crease and let cool. The leading edge should remain 3/4 up from the table when the 3/4 block is removed. Next lay the spar on the glue line and glue it in place with hot melt glue by stitch gluing, that's glue 2 inches then on the other side of the spar glue 2 inches then back to the first side and glue 2 inches. Just use a little bead here and you don't have to measure, but use enough to hold the spar in place but not so much that you build up excessive weight. Cut some slots front and rear of the wing so that it fits over you stick. Make the control horns from gift cards Mark the positions of your servos and make push rods. I use .039 or .047.

Sorry for the long post and not trying to HiJack your thread, Foam Crusher

Now that you know how to make the wing the rest should be easy.

Blue Skies...................Tim
Mar 05, 2011, 11:39 AM

sweet!

RCCloud thats a sweet lettle sloper. Back about 1980 or so I saw a simular plane in either modle builder or ama mag. (Zardiskie)? wing 2 channel with micro $$ gear. Sheet balsa sheet wing. A great flier for small slopes. Thanks for the flash back I think I will build one.
Mar 05, 2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
RCCloud thats a sweet lettle sloper. Back about 1980 or so I saw a simular plane in either modle builder or ama mag. (Zardiskie)? wing 2 channel with micro $$ gear. Sheet balsa sheet wing. A great flier for small slopes. Thanks for the flash back I think I will build one.
1980??? That's like.... 31 years ago I do recall seeing that now that you mention it! Wasn't that like a "Honker" wing? And Royal servos? Maybe FMA Rx? Wow that does bring back memories! I had hair down to my shoulders and a beard to match! And a Paragon!

Make one! It took me longer to take those pictures,downsize them and write that post than it did to make that glider!

Blue Skies...........Tim
Mar 05, 2011, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
RWCLOUD thanks for the info I am working on this plane so having the measurements helps alot without having to multiply every thing in my head when I am doing it. Will post pictures when I finish it.. FoamCrasher
Mar 07, 2011, 07:50 PM
Well the wind finally started blowing in the right direction for flying here in Fresno,CA! Well kinda. But it was at 20 mph,which is a bit more than we normally get! But I tried anyway and I've never flown slope before!

First attempt led to the poor little glider about 200 feet behind me! Then I decided to put some reflex in the wing by flattening out the ailerons a bit and tape 5 quarters and 4 nickles to the bottom. All the "weight" that I had. So now it should be pretty close to 8 ounces.

This helped and was able to get a little flight time in , until it got blown over and hit the ground which popped the wing off! But she hit the ground several times without ant damage and 5 minutes to make her new again ain't bad!

I'm hooked! gotta build something more gooder, maybe a Carbon Sally?

Anyway here are a few pictures, poor old camera did her best so please excuse the poor quality!

Blue Skies................Tim
Mar 08, 2011, 01:22 AM
Thread OP
You should try to bungee launch her on a calmer day lots of fun and I could do a barrel roll.
Mar 08, 2011, 02:57 AM
Pictures?? More info??

Quick Reply