Mar 06, 2011, 04:16 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
That's kind of the whole point of this converter. Since MikroKopter (and some others) use I2C to control ESCs, you either use I2C ESC or a converter to use with cheap ESC.

Of course you can rewrite firmware of whatever flight control board to output for standard ESCs, but usually there's not enough free pins or CPU or hardware resources available to do it.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2011, 04:25 AM
Pants first, then shoes
forgive me Im a complete newbie. I asked with respect to the t580 Lotus quad more than the MK system. Just wondering about the possibility to give one of those bigger motors
Mar 06, 2011, 04:34 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
T580 uses standard ESC, so you don't need to do anything special to upgrade it. Just get one with higher Amp rating + better motors + bigger battery etc.
Mar 06, 2011, 04:36 AM
Pants first, then shoes
are you sure on the standard esc? Ive been told they use i2c by the British distributor?
Mar 06, 2011, 04:39 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Well, that's interesting. No, I'm not sure but I was assuming they would go for standard controller. I don't have one and I've never seen close-up pics of their flight or motor controllers, so I don't know. Maybe that "british distributor" can post in here and clear it up
Mar 06, 2011, 04:42 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
Well, that's interesting. No, I'm not sure but I was assuming they would go for standard controller. I don't have one and I've never seen close-up pics of their flight controller or motor controllers, so I don't know. Maybe that "british distributor" can post in here and clear it up
yea its confirmed to i2c i guess, bummer really
Mar 06, 2011, 04:45 AM
Pants first, then shoes
so if I was to replace the i2c in the t580 with timecops clever converter then bigger motors could be chucked on the T580 control system?
Mar 06, 2011, 04:45 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Looks like you get to test it with my converter when your review copy gets there, heh.
Mar 06, 2011, 04:46 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Well, that's interesting. No, I'm not sure but I was assuming they would go for standard controller. I don't have one and I've never seen close-up pics of their flight or motor controllers, so I don't know. Maybe that "british distributor" can post in here and clear it up
man i tried to finish afro! i wish i didnt have to use i2c and all the soldering crap! i will get it going tomorrow for sure!
Mar 06, 2011, 04:47 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Looks like you get to test it with my converter when your review copy gets there, heh.
lol@copy
Mar 06, 2011, 04:48 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky
so if I was to replace the i2c in the t580 with timecops clever converter then bigger motors could be chucked on the T580 control system?
If the protocol is same.. sure.
Otherwise, might need some changes in firmware if their I2C address is different or they transmit data differently etc.
Mar 06, 2011, 04:49 AM
Pants first, then shoes
timecop if I actually get one ( am on the tester list but not sure if it will actually happen) I will probably annoy you with some more of my dumb questions along those lines....
Mar 06, 2011, 04:51 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky
timecop if I actually get one ( am on the tester list but not sure if it will actually happen) I will probably annoy you with some more of my dumb questions along those lines....
lol firstly you better realize the sarcasm! get past that and you will learn for sure!
ok off to bed!
Mar 06, 2011, 09:38 AM
waiting for the non-jitter version...=)
Mar 06, 2011, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
PCBs for the "Tokyo drift-free" edition designed and submitted. Will start testing next week.
Board is same size (27x20mm), PWM connectors in same place, I2C connector moved to another side. Power either 5V from FC, 5V from BEC, or from Lipo (2-5S should be OK).
Firmware upgrade by serial bootloader (USB->FTDI->TXD/RXD/GND).
No promises on availability. "It's done when it's done". Hopefully the schedule is better than Duke Nukem Forever, though.

Quick Reply