Mar 04, 2011, 09:44 AM

Dabville good for me

I am happy with Danville - fairly near to me and looks like a good spot to fly from the google earth map.
-Tim
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2011, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmot
I am happy with Danville - fairly near to me and looks like a good spot to fly from the google earth map.
-Tim
Agreed... I sent a PM to Doug, but I think he said he isn't always on the boards so I'll wait for him to find the info here or in the PM.

Does anyone else know of a location that would handle 10 or so of us? Looks like we've found the base for the most part.

Sadly I don't at the moment. 10 of us would double the size of the filed I fly at and it would be like all of us playing basketball in a dumpster. Not what you call wide open FPVing.
Mar 04, 2011, 11:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeydoo
CaliDave
"If you set it up they will come".
Dan has mentored myself and many others. Be the leader. Help the newbies out. Once you get comfortable with you rig set up a trainer as Dan does. Find a place with a lot of room so the newbies don't feel so intimidated with the terrain.
I drive over 200 miles round trip to fly with these guys and if I felt intimidated I would not make the trip. I have put together a few planes but I am a newbie as I have only soloed 3 times.
Most of all, HAVE FUN.
Mark
Thanks Markydoo! I'm a newb myself, but I'll do the best I can
Mar 04, 2011, 11:52 AM
+1 Danville
Mar 04, 2011, 12:26 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right.....
Guys

Unfortunately my spot in Danville won't accommodate this many people. I think some where in the East Bay would be an ideal spot since its in the middle of everybody.

Checking this spot out in Dublin as a possibility.
37.704399, -121.978025

Maybe out by Mountain House/Tracy?!?!
37.784554, -121.545181

I'll travel anywhere, just let me know.

Finding an ideal spot will be challenging. Maybe we could have a list of possibilities and than vote on the final locale. Weather will obviously be a big factor of "When".

Doug
Mar 04, 2011, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwoody
Guys

Unfortunately my spot in Danville won't accommodate this many people. I think some where in the East Bay would be an ideal spot since its in the middle of everybody.

Checking this spot out in Dublin as a possibility.
37.704399, -121.978025

Maybe out by Mountain House/Tracy?!?!
37.784554, -121.545181

I'll travel anywhere, just let me know.

Finding an ideal spot will be challenging. Maybe we could have a list of possibilities and than vote on the final locale. Weather will obviously be a big factor of "When".

Doug
No worries Doug... totally understand with private spots they've got to stay low profile.

Both the new GPS locations also look promising. Those housing tracts with roads but no houses and then fields seem really nice, but is it that most have fencing blocking the roads? Maybe we could search for more of those. I know a lot of developments were stopped when the markets crashed... maybe some are still dormant but open?

The weather will be an issue for the short term, but hopefully after this weekend things will look nicer. I'm guessing if we could find a spot we could go in 2 weeks.

Anyone know a farmer out that way who has some land we could go to for a small donation?

Also, the East Bay (inside of the hills) is gonna be tough since there just isn't any open spaces that will allow electric planes, and so close to landing aircraft our ceiling would have to stay low.

I think our biggest challenge will be finding a suitable location... and I'm guessing further from urban areas is going to be a better experience since we're all new to this. Still.... totally open to a nice spot, or a clever idea to go somewhere.
Last edited by CaliDave; Mar 04, 2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: more
Mar 04, 2011, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
Anyone in the area could scope this one out? I won't be able to check it until next week.

A) 37.776766,-121.533868

Either at the end of the "De Anza Blvd" road (trees could be an issue), or possibly in the courts to "Sterling Drive". Not sure what the building with the parking lot to the right is and if they'd have weekend traffic. Might be a bit cramped.
Mar 04, 2011, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureVRPilot
I live in Sonoma N. bay have some good area's around here plus nice scenery.
Hey FutureVRPilot, how about your Sonoma spots? Anything that could handle our group? Seems like most will drive the 1-2 hours to meet.
Mar 04, 2011, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave
Anyone in the area could scope this one out? I won't be able to check it until next week.

A) 37.776766,-121.533868

Either at the end of the "De Anza Blvd" road (trees could be an issue), or possibly in the courts to "Sterling Drive". Not sure what the building with the parking lot to the right is and if they'd have weekend traffic. Might be a bit cramped.
The North end of De Anza Blvd looks perfect. I think the map data is current, nothings been built there yet.
Mar 04, 2011, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
The North end of De Anza Blvd looks perfect. I think the map data is current, nothings been built there yet.
Hmmmmm

Are you close enough to check it out in the next few days? If not I'll get out there after work hopefully before dark. It's about an hour from me.
Mar 04, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
B) 37.98369,-121.627925

Here is another one which looks to be open as far as roads, not developed (unknown now) and open space away from everything. There is even a Google ground view on the main road going in there. Tall walls dividing the sub divisions make us less visible which could be a good thing.

Same deal, I'll check it out as soon as I can, but if someones closer, or passes nearby let us know. This one is 45 mins North of the "A" location so anyone up in the Antioch, Oakley, Brentwood ares is closest.
Mar 04, 2011, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave
B) 37.98369,-121.627925

Here is another one which looks to be open as far as roads, not developed (unknown now) and open space away from everything. There is even a Google ground view on the main road going in there. Tall walls dividing the sub divisions make us less visible which could be a good thing.

Same deal, I'll check it out as soon as I can, but if someones closer, or passes nearby let us know. This one is 45 mins North of the "A" location so anyone up in the Antioch, Oakley, Brentwood ares is closest.
This location has a close proximity to "High Voltage Power Lines". The towers run north to south right next to this area.
Mar 04, 2011, 02:21 PM
I think I can go check out spot A on sunday morning or next week one day after 2pm. I can go scan for wifi and analog video signals on 2.4GHz and 5.8Ghz to try and gauge how the RF situation is. Both spots seem to be about an hour away, which I'm happy to drive but if someone is closer and wants to do it I'm fine with that as well

If no one else speaks up I will post here on saturday before I head out he next morning etc.

Charlie
Last edited by charlienofun; Mar 04, 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: more info.
Mar 04, 2011, 02:29 PM
Dave,

Glad to see your trying to set up a meet. I am also interested in attending. If I do get my system step up Ill be on 1.3ghz and 72mhz. Ill keep checking this thread out for updates.

Matyou
Mar 04, 2011, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
This location has a close proximity to "High Voltage Power Lines". The towers run north to south right next to this area.
Yeah, they are about 1/4 mile out so not much space on that one.

Quick Reply