Feb 26, 2011, 11:51 PM
Always Fly Two Mistakes High!
Thread OP
Discussion

Johnson Space Center Radio Control Club (JSCRCC)

Hello All,

I am a newbie to JSCRCC. I came out today as the first day after I was certified by Dave Hoffman. I really enjoyed the new asphalt runway and the camaraderie of the club members. I have been flying most of the last 25 years in RC...the last 5 exclusively with electric planes.

I "flew" a F-117a Nighthawk today and promptly crashed it on maiden...losing perspective on the all black plane after letting it get too far out. It will live but with some patch work.

My Dynam A-10 and FMS P-51 got a better work out, video attached.

Video is also attached of Dude_109's T-45 & T-33...nice flying Hung!

It was nice meeting Randy, Blaine, and others today whose names escape my brain at the moment.

Please feel free to network here with pictures, video, and commentary about anything JSCRCC.

Russ Shanks

PsychoFlyer's FMS P-51 & Dynam A-10 (8 min 14 sec)

Dude's T-45 & T-33 (9 min 43 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the vids, Russ. I forgot to do high speed pass so that I could doppler the speed. Oh well, next time. I'm tied up with family stuffs on Saturday and unless weather forecast changes big time, Sunday is out.

I'm having plenty of oppty during the weekday this week though to get my fix. This morning was not good. Got the F-5 out to the field, then I remember that I had moved it from 1 memory spot to another in the TX but haven't rebind. I usually have the bind plug inside the TX battery spot but must have taken it out at some point. So...3 lipos and a RX not bound. Got 2 flights on the F-18, then the TX ran low on battery. Rats!!!

Low wind at day break all this week so I'll try again tomorrow
Mar 02, 2011, 01:02 PM
Thread OP

Jealous

I'm jealous...all these nice days and I have piano lessons, trumpet lessons, and musicals after work with so little time to fly.

I was hoping vids would turn out better but the gray day just muted the video so much that it was hard to see them well. Will do it again on a better day. It did not do your T-33 justice.

I emailed my flight instructor from JSCRCC about this thread and I hope that he will spread the word to other flyers.

Enjoy your flights!

Oh, I got the F-117 all pieced back together and ready for remaiden. I will probably try Saturday at JSC early. I'll catch you next time.
Mar 03, 2011, 12:38 PM
Thread OP

Miscellaneous Members' Video from 2/26/2011 @ JSC

Enjoy!

Johnson Space Center Radio Control Club Video (6 min 51 sec)
Mar 06, 2011, 11:30 PM
Thread OP

Dude's PZ P-51

Here's your video Dude!

Parkzone P-51 Mustang Flight (9 min 59 sec)
Mar 07, 2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the great vids again. I'm afraid to see what actually gets captured in my recorder...haven't downloaded yet.
Mar 11, 2011, 04:32 PM
Thread OP

Nice Landing!

Dude...all of you dun good with the landing...congrats!

On vacation this week...see you next week if we get in early enough.

Russ
Mar 11, 2011, 06:06 PM
Always good to get it done safely. Even better to be back to normal human hours.

Don't want to instigate you more but I see BH put the 50mm EDFs ARFs on sale for $30!!! I'm eyeing the MiG-15 but waiting for the 40mm version to come out.
Mar 31, 2011, 09:41 AM
Thread OP

Vimeo Video Success

Hung,

I downloaded video per the "Save Link As" when I right-clicked on the download video link on the right side of the page. You definitely DO have to be a basic member and can download 5 videos per day. You can also upload 500MB per week.

I will round up all of my video of your planes and start uploading them to Vimeo so you can have them.

Russ

P.S. Are you going to go out to the "Striping Ceremony" this Saturday at JSC? They are going to have hot dogs and other food and festivities. I'll probably go out early and then see what develops but won't stay as long as lunch time I don't think.
Mar 31, 2011, 09:55 AM
So that's what is going on... I was flying at daybreak this morning and some grounds keepers came out to trim the weeds and an industrial mower also rolled out when I left. Guess they'll pretty thing up for this event. Forecast (if it holds) is 3mph at 7am and 6mph at 10am. Doubt if I'll make it out...might be too crowded and too many bystanders for my wild flying. That and too many family things on the agenda. I'm getting better with inverted. Got 2 whole laps consecutively before my heart needed relaxing I'll have to hit a future fun fly day though. My F-18 also remaiden perfectly...these foams are such easy fixes.

I didn't know about 5 downloads/day. Guess I haven't gotten to that level. I just like that Vimeo doesn't degrade vid quality like YT does. Looking fwd to better quality vids of my EDFs.
Apr 01, 2011, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
I think I'll go out early and check it out just to meet some of the club members, etc. But I'm not a fan of crowds so I won't be staying long. It will probably be long waits to fly later in the morning/afternoon and that's no good either.

How was the flea market last weekend? ...end up making a trip to Goodwill?

I went ahead and order a camo version of the F-117 since those darn people at Nitroplanes put the kit on sale for $27 and I got a new 4900kv engine on my shelf just itchin to get in the sky. it should be easier to see and I'll only fly it in bright sunlight

Bet you got fogged out his a.m. for flying.

Have a great weekend with the family.
Apr 01, 2011, 03:07 PM
Flea market was so so...not too many shoppers. We did get rid of about 1/3 of the van and enough $ to make the wife want more flea market. I spent most of the time with the kids on the playground and take the younger one to a b-day party so I wasn't that bored.

I've been eyeing the camo one. Definitely can't handle the visibility of the black one. That sale price is very tempting. If I ever get around to building a bungee launch, I might get one of those so I can get rid of the gear so it might fly better.

Flying was great this morning. Extremely slight haze at best but visibility is still miles. The grass for 100' surrounding the strip is all mowed. The rockets guys must have had something going on this morning as there were at least 10 cars whizzing by. Good thing I didn't need the runway.

Weather should be good tomorrow. Fog with 1/2 mile vis but 2 mph wind at 7am then 5mph at 10am. However, with some wind even at 2mph, the fog shouldn't last long. Looks like bad wind thru next Tuesday. Local park for me Saturday morning if I do get out. Have a good time at the field.
Apr 03, 2011, 03:52 PM
Thread OP

No Party or Fun Fly

They didn't get a chance to do the striping this week. They can only do striping this Tuesday and if it rains, no striping again. But the Fun Fly and BBQ will be on this weekend regardless.

It was a great day of flying Saturday @ JSC. I brought 4 planes and put threw at least 3 batteries on each plane. The T-28 flew great, the P-51 with new retracts flew great, A-10 was awesome and the old Viking (Cessna looking) flew well UNTIL the firewall fell out! At about 50 feet there was terrible noise and then you could see engine and prop flopping about. It has such big wing that I was able to glide it in with no problem. I even got a round of applause from the 8-10 guys standing around. The flopping broke part of the plastic windshield but is fixable.

I went to Tom Bass this morning and was surprised to see almost no winds. There were a couple of guys who will probably be coming to the JSC fun fly, one of who works at Lockheed Martin across the street but didn't know about the flying field. His name is Brian and he will be coming to FF next week. There were over 10 guys at Tom Bass this morning and no parking when I got there a little after 8. Pete and Harvey were asking about where we have been. By the time I left about 10:30 the winds had to be about 13-15 mph. The P51 and A10 love the wind while landing on the shorter runway so it was fine.

Russ
Last edited by RGS2010; Apr 03, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Apr 03, 2011, 09:01 PM
Sounds like you had a great weekend of flying!!! Is the FF on Saturday or Sunday? What time will it be? Looks like the rocket guys were out in force. I'll have to introduce Mike to my little P-40 some time this summer.

I got 7 packs thru 3 planes at the local park on Saturday. Maybe I'll get some flying in during the weekdays this week.
Apr 04, 2011, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
FF is Saturday the 9th, whether they get the striping done or not. They really don't have a specific start time except will start to cook about 11 I think. My 8 yr old will be coming with me. Mike Liable said he is bringing his kids and others are bringing theirs...will be difficult wrangling all those kids while trying to fly! I'll go out early to make sure to get in some quality flying time and then gauge how long to stay from there.

Glad you got some quality flying in also.

Last night I went ahead and just burned all of the pics and videos I have of your planes onto a data DVD. I put it in my flight box so just ask about it next time you see me so I don't forget to give it to you. Otherwise I would have had to convert raw video to an uploadable format to Vimeo and that would have taken too long. They are all in .jpg and .mpeg formats with maybe an .Avi.

Yes, the rocket guys had a big day...one of the rockets failed to parachute and landed on one of their vehicles, I think. They all ran as a group toward the truck...was funny to watch from afar.

Russ

Quick Reply