Feb 25, 2011, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

First attempt at scratchbuilding- Full Fuse Yak 54

As the title says I've never build from scratch. I decided I wanted a full fuse Yak 54 in the 50" range. I found a 3 view plan and scaled off of that. I'm sure this isn't very close to scale but it was the best I could do. So far the fuse, canopy, wings, vert. and hor. stabs weigh in at a total of 22.5 oz. Let me know what you think.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2011, 06:57 PM
Looking good andy.
Feb 25, 2011, 07:39 PM
Sorry but I don't believe you've never built from scratch

- Jeff
Feb 25, 2011, 08:04 PM
Thread OP
No, I promise it's my first
Feb 25, 2011, 08:34 PM
RC Adddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBloom
No, I promise it's my first
From the looks of the shop theres a little bit of a building stuff background here .
Great job on the plane
Feb 25, 2011, 10:17 PM
I realy like the sign in the background in the second picture! are you sure you arnt in MY garage? good luck on the project. looking good!
Mar 10, 2011, 01:04 AM
Thread OP

Some Progress

I got alittle more work done on the Yak, slowly but surely. For the canopy hold down I'm just going with a dowel pin in the front and small magnets on the back side, just made from some lite ply I had. The wings will be removable with a 12mm cf spar in both wings and a 10mm joiner tube that will slide inside the two spars. I also have a smaller 1/4" cf tube to help with lining the wings up. The two spars pass through a center piece in the fuse thats made of foam and will have ply reinforcements where the spars pass through. The horizontal stab is also done, I hinged it with Robart hinges and decided to use tri stock for the hinge line. I hope to get more work done this coming week. Any thoughts on how much weight it would add to fiberglass and wbpu this thing?

Quick Reply