This thread is privately moderated by KFC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 25, 2011, 05:11 PM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Thread OP
Yippee!

Getting ready for SEFF

Never used this feature before, so what the heck. The foam is flying down in the workshop and I am sooo ready to jump in the truck and head for Georgia. I am getting the trailer fixed up and some airplanes put together. Working on having at least one surprise make the trip with me. Just for the sake of convenience, I'm going to keep all the pictures together in this post.
Last edited by KFC; Mar 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2011, 10:31 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Hey Chris,
It's looking pretty busy at your place. I saw your wings fly at SEFF last year and I was impressed with their excellent slow flight characteristics. Do you have plans or a link to the plans for your wing? I assume you will be bringing some for sale at SEFF -- have you set any pricing for various levels of assembled/rtf wings? I was wanting to put some LEDs inside the wing before it was glued together and use it for night flying this year. Please post the info here or just send me a PM.
Blessings,
McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; May 10, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Feb 28, 2011, 03:29 PM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Thread OP
I'm selling them assembled without electronics for $40 each. This is basically a means to pay my way to SEFF and back, which I could not really afford otherwise, so I have to do what I can to keep my costs down. Besides, I've learned a lot from seeing other people set up the airframes.

As far as lighting goes, I'd recommend mounting the LEDs on the outside rather than the inside. The lights don't show really well through the foam and because it is blue, the original color of the LED changes. The only way I've made the internal lighting thing work was with a smaller wing made of 3mm white depron.

As far as plans go, all I have is paper templates and my assembly fixtures that I break out when I need to make up a batch.

If you want me to hold one for you, let me know and I'll put your name on one.
Feb 28, 2011, 07:30 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Can you give me a list of "stuff" needed to complete the wing -- motor, esc, servos, etc. I'll check my "stuff" box and see if I can use any of it on the wing.
McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Feb 28, 2011, 11:06 PM
Taking care of business
What is the WS on these wings?? Gotta get me one.. Nice foam storm too!!
Feb 28, 2011, 11:49 PM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Thread OP
span is 60"
Feb 28, 2011, 11:57 PM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Thread OP

60" Blu-Wing: whatcha need ta fly one

150-250 watt motor that will turn a 9" prop.
2 servos. If you are going for the low end of the powerband, HS-65s or equivalent will do, if you are going for the upper end, HS-85s
2 24" servo extensions
1 20-25 Amp ESC (depending on the motor you go with)
11.1V 1350-2000 mAh Li-Po battery
Receiver
control horns & linkage rods
Velcro
Mar 16, 2011, 08:40 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Thread OP

Progress

Well, with only 3+ weeks left to go, I finally feel like I'm making some headway here. I have the trailer wired up for both internal and external power. I still have a little more work to do, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to hopping in the truck and making that drive home. (I may live in Kentucky, but I consider Mac's to be my home)
Mar 19, 2011, 01:19 PM
Chris, your trailer looks beautiful! Amazing workmanship on that thing! I hope I can get a tour of it when you come down for SEFF!

What day will you be down there? I'll be heading down mid week and staying till sunday!
Mar 19, 2011, 01:48 PM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrk
Chris, your trailer looks beautiful! Amazing workmanship on that thing! I hope I can get a tour of it when you come down for SEFF!

What day will you be down there? I'll be heading down mid week and staying till sunday!
Thanks! My dad and I have been working hard to get it ready. I have been wanting to get the interior set up ever since we got it about a year ago. We got a bit of a late start on the project because of the weather this winter. (Adhesives and caulk don't generally cure well in the sub-zero temperature ranges!)

We have tried to use what we have on hand as much as possible in terms of materials and such, so I don't think we have more than $300 or so invested in the upgrade at this point. I'm gluing the carpet down and screwing in the workbench and shelf unit at the front today. Once that is finished, I just have to mount a few eyebolts so that I can secure the loose gear in the front.

Feel free to stop by any time you want. Walk the line and stop when you see the big flying wing!
Mar 19, 2011, 11:00 PM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Thread OP

Trailer is finished

I've got the trailer all set up. All I have to do now is fill it with airplanes and batteries and fix the tranny on my Suburban so I can get it down to SEFF!
Mar 22, 2011, 11:10 AM
Flick lives
Now, that trailer is just as slick as snot! I'm inspired...I gotta get my basement workshop/hangar organized!
Mar 22, 2011, 05:24 PM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead
Now, that trailer is just as slick as snot! I'm inspired...I gotta get my basement workshop/hangar organized!
FWIW, my workshop is a disaster area at the moment. Only the trailer is in photogenic condition.
Mar 26, 2011, 10:22 AM
DESIGNOSAUR
Workshop is not the worst I've seen-I wouldn't call it a disaster area. I really like the huge workbench with the drawers underneath. Really nice. And huge. did I mention huge?
Mar 26, 2011, 10:55 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignGeek
Workshop is not the worst I've seen-I wouldn't call it a disaster area. I really like the huge workbench with the drawers underneath. Really nice. And huge. did I mention huge?
The only reason it doesn't look so bad is because you can only see Dad's end of it. I 'occupy' his side when he goes out of town.

Quick Reply