New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2011, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Build Log

New Samba Electro Glider

This new model is the Pike Perfect Mini ET Electro...try saying that 3 times fast. This new Motor Glider will soon be available from Soaring USA. Bob let me build the first one here in the US and I will show you the way I fitted it out. We flew this glider yesterday and it is awesome. Using the wingtips from the well respected Kolb designed Pike Perfect combined with a sexy new fuselage with Vtail this little 2 meter is PERFECT for the guy who wants to keep a small motor glider handy for a quick fly on the way home from work. The PPMETE will be available both as a complete model and Fuse Stab combo for the guy who already has a set of ET tips. I think the model looks great and really flys well.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Feb 25, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2011, 02:47 PM
This Model came with standard Jan Kahout ET Wingtips which had ailerons only for flight surfaces. I chose to split the ailerons so I could have seperate ailerons and flaps. Contact SUSA for more info,but I think Bob mentioned his will come with both flaps and ailerons. For equipment I used a Neu 1509/1.5D/S/6.7 motor, with a Castle Phoenix 125 ESC, a RFM 1610 and a Thunder Power 4S 3800 40C Lipo pack. For steering I used a JR 12X, 9300 Carbon Rx, 4-JR 378 servos for the wing and 2- JR 285 MGs for the tails. I started with the fuse since I needed to get things done in the tail end to get the equipment in the nose arranged for a proper CG. Looking at the belly photo you can see that there is a servo bay moulded in the bottom of the fuselage.
I would suggest the JR 285 MGs I used as the space is pretty small. The bottom of the bay is backed with plywood. I checked for the best arrangement of the servos and traced their footprint on the floor with a fine tip pen. I used a long drill and drilled multiple holes around the perimeter until I could use an exacto knife and cut the floor to accept the servo. A file cleaned it up in short order and the servos dropped in and were screwed in to place.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Feb 25, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:06 PM
I placed the tails on the fuselage and checked the pushrods for binding. The pushrods are the standard hollow steel tubes We have seen from Samba for the Perfect. The ends have ball links fitted and the balls are already on the tail drive linkages. One of the balls was tight and I used a pair of needle nose pliers to stretch it a little until everything moved smoothly. I used the small arms that come on the 285's and trimmed them up to fit properly. Note the offset in the servos to give maximum clearance for the pushrods. Use a cutoff wheel to trim the tubes..measure twice with the elevators taped at zero deflection. Use some sand paper to key the pushrods, center the servos and secure the clevis's to the pushrods with JB Weld epoxy. The well is so deep I don't think you can do a reasonable solder job.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Feb 25, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:35 PM
I split the aileron in to equal pieces, and marked the wing to take two JR 378 servos. The servo bay already in the wing was near the root and was used for the flap servo. This area was large enough to use a servo frame. I located the aileron servo position as close to the inward edge of the aileron to make maximum use of the wing thickness. I cut the skin and added a strip to use as a backer for the servo cover. I trimmed the bottom lug on the aileron servo and glued strips of wood to the top skin to secure the servo. The control horns were glued in place with JB Weld and were secured to through the carbon sock of the aileron for extra security.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:43 PM
Fitting the Neu motor required a stand off for the front bearing in the gearbox. I am not sure you could fit a motor any larger in the nose of the PPMETE. To get the spinner centered I had to contour the front edges of the spacer to match the inside of the nose to allow the centering of the power unit. Take your time and you will be able to get it to line up. I soldered the Phoenix 125 directly to the motor and left the leads long enough so that I could flop the controller forward through the hatch to help retrieving the battery for charging. When I was finished and had checked the motor for proper rotation....Duh I hate it when I forget to check that minor detail... I thread locked the motor retaining screws, the spinner retaining grub screws, and the prop axle bolts.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:56 PM
To finish the model the Thunder power Lipo was pushed back under the Wing joiner and the receiver and spare radio pack were placed under the canopy.The finished CG is just in front of the wing joiner. I modified one of my Perfect programs in the JR 12X , cutting down on the elevator throw, and limiting the rudder to aileron mixing. I gave Bob Breaux the tranny and I launched the rocket ship......... What a swell toy the Pike Perfect Mini ET Electro is, truly great Fun. The Climb rate is awesome and the model cruises and thermals well. If you are interested please contact Bob at Soaring USA, I know they have some coming in soon.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Feb 25, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by Ed Franz
You looking at me?
Very nice Larry. Do you have a a flying weight on the plane?

Ed
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:49 AM
Hey Ed,
I left the model with Bob I will get him to post the all-up, I neglected to get it.LJ
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by s2000
I have got to have one, email sent to Bob!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by Ed Franz
You looking at me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Hey Ed,
I left the model with Bob I will get him to post the all-up, I neglected to get it.LJ
Thanks Larry. Looks like it will be a nice Bird. Any thoughts on price, and maybe an X tail?

Ed
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by petr.fort

Pike Mini Perfect Electro in pictures

Hello,

this Pike is first prototype of small (2,3 m) variant Pike ET for unlimited sport electro flying (Tips we use from Pike ET plus new two piece V-tail, extra strong materials). Plane has new electro fuselage with optimized aerodynamic form for (S-NEU, Mega, Hacker) motors and 3 - 8 LiPOL pack. On photo is my very strong double carbon variant with S-NEU 1112/1Y/6.7 motor - 6000g static thrust, 4 LiPol, AI and FLP JR Radio DS378 Wing Servo, Castle ICE 100, Turnigy nano-tech 2650 mAh 4S 35-70C Lipo Pack.

Flying weight for extra strong variant:
(Double carbon wing, extra strong three carbon fuselage with kevlar honeycomb, one carbon V-tail, 980 grams empty)
3S LiPol - 1690 g (Turnigy nano-tech 2650 mAh)
4S LiPol - 1770 g (Turnigy nano-tech 2650 mAh)
4S LiPol - 1695 g (Turnigy nano-tech 2200 mAh)
wing area - 45,4 dm2

Here is next photo (december 2010) and designers sketch picture (january 2010).

Petr
Last edited by petr.fort; Mar 01, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by petr.fort

New photo, You Tube video

I have new photo from first flight. S-NEU 1112/1Y/6.7 work at 3s LiPOL ( 1 kW real power, 17x13 RF prop).

Here is new video:
Samba Model, Pike Mini Perfect Electro with S-NEU 1112/1Y/6.7, 3s LiPol (2 min 12 sec)
Last edited by petr.fort; Aug 20, 2011 at 08:14 PM.