This thread is privately moderated by aeronaught, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 24, 2011, 08:30 PM
AAces High
Thread OP
Discussion

Estes Turbo Thruster 3 Channel Conversion

My Estes HyperX 3 Channel conversion came to a screeching halt after one of our cats got a hold of one of my push rod tubes and destroyed it. So in the mean time I had to find something to keep me busy. I've had the Estes Turbo Thruster torn down and sitting in the closet awaiting a future three or four channel mod. So I whipped that out and went to town. The mod took about 5 evenings to complete. I chose to use the stock motor and and ESC from a Harbor Freight P-51 Mustang. The servos are Tower Pro SG-50's. I only needed two because this plane is aileron and elevator only. I opted to keep this three channel to keep weigh cost down as much as possible. I'm on a pretty tight budget nowadays. The receiver is a Hobby King 2.4GHz 6 channel DSM2. When I take a close look at it it has "AR6110 B" marked on it. (Hmmm.. Maybe Spektrum has something going with HK?) I had to do quite a bit of carving inside the fuselage to get all of the components to fit and allow access from inside the canopy to the receiver and battery. Before I tore the plane down I decided to try a HobbyZone Mini Super Cub 7.4V 300mah LiPo in it. That perked her right up!! But I never actually flew the plane. So I went with this as my power source. The stock transmitter and receiver were a typical Estes two speed setup. High speed and low speed plus bang- bang left and right with rocker type controls on the transmitter versus joysticks. But we ARE talking toy grade here. I tried the HyperX transmitter with it but that didn't work for me. So that's when I decided a while back to make this plane something better. Having no experience with EDF or any kind of R/C jet for that matter I set out to venture into the unknown. I noticed that there is no "funnel" coming from the motor to the rear of the fuse like I've seen in other jets. But I did observe that there is a portion of the top of the outlet on the rear of the fuse that appears to vector the thrust downward. So I left that all in tact. I never did get a CG for the plane in it's stock form so I'm going to have to bight the bullet and experiment with that. I cut out flaps for the horizontal stab but opted to add 3mm Cellfoam 88 for ailerons. I'm not sure whether this will be a mistake or not but it looked pretty difficult to cut them out of the main wing with it's dihedral and thin material at the trailing edge. So the main wing has a bit more cord now. I'm guessing that this may produce more lift. I'm also guessing that the dihedral may keep me from trying inverted flight. I'm sure that will all be revealed to me at the field. I installed the servo for the elevators where the original rudder actuator was. I used the original push rod for the rudder for the elevators. The servo for the ailerons was installed on the bottom of the main wing in the area where the hole was for the front snap on wing connector. The rear connector was left in tact for added strength. A hole had to be made in the bottom of the fuse to allow the servo to properly fit. The aileron push rods are made of carbon fiber rod that was left over from my F3P Elite 4Site that was accidentally crushed by a trunk lid while moving last year. I took my ideas for engineering the controls from the 4Site. I used toothpicks and foam to make the control arms and shrink tube for the hinges. The rods are connected to the servos with "swivels" taken from an old SE5a that was also accidentally destroyed by my nieces boyfriend who placed a weed whacker on it while I had it in the garage. (Ughhh.. two planes that never saw air!!) The components were installed inside the fuse and glued back together with CA. The main wing was attached with 5 minute epoxy. The elevator and rudder were installed with CA. Being that this is an elevator and aileron plane the stock rudder was removed from the vertical stab and a piece of Cellfoam 88 was glued in place with CA. The stock rudder would have left some gaps being that it was made smaller to hinge. The rudder was colored with blue Sharpie and sprayed with Krylon Workable Fixatif to keep the ink from smudging. Fingers crossed this thing will fly... LOL..

Time and weather have been my greatest foes in this hobby lately. I have no idea when I'll get this thing to the field. I still have 2 micros and a modded Harbor Freight P-51 to maiden. Hopefully I'll have some vids and flight reports to post soon!!

Reset
Last edited by aeronaught; Feb 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Correction: AR6100 B to AR6110 B.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2011, 10:49 PM

Pics

I think it is a cool looking little plane. What is the total weight? I bet with the CG nailed this plane will be a lot of fun.

By the way I saw the Maiden pic. Go to my page and there are two videos of my T-28. One is a slow mode to Beatles tunes and the other is Aerobatic mode to "Aces High" by Maiden. That song always makes me want to fly.
Feb 25, 2011, 11:05 AM
AAces High
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickcorvette1
I think it is a cool looking little plane. What is the total weight? I bet with the CG nailed this plane will be a lot of fun.

By the way I saw the Maiden pic. Go to my page and there are two videos of my T-28. One is a slow mode to Beatles tunes and the other is Aerobatic mode to "Aces High" by Maiden. That song always makes me want to fly.
AUW with battery is 5.3oz. / 150 grams...

Aces High makes me want to fly too!!

Reset
Oct 07, 2011, 09:26 AM
AAces High
Thread OP
Flight report coming soon!!!

Reset
Oct 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
AAces High
Thread OP
This project has been shelved for some time now. It's ready to fly but all three of my stock MSC batteries have gone flat on me. So when I purchase a battery that will fit in the compartment I intend to test this plane.

Should be interesting!!

Reset
Aug 03, 2014, 11:08 AM
AAces High
Thread OP
Resurrecting this project. Stay tuned!

Dave

Quick Reply