6-foot scale INDOOR Piper Cub scratchbuild - Page 5 - RC Groups
Aug 08, 2011, 07:42 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
so.... are we going to get to see some video of this puppy in flight?

it looks very clean and nice

As soon as someone video-tapes it.

Probably in a few months at our indoor Dome-fly.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2011, 10:09 AM
RC Adddict
Great looking cub ,
Aug 08, 2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto
I am unable to build a 6-foot wing that will not flex unless it is built up.

I have a 54" wingspan Spacewalker with a curved single-sheet wing, with ribs, and a whole bunch of carbon-fiber sticks as braces, but the Cub wing is a much neater design.
Yeah, your Spacewalker is the kind of thing I'm thinking of. It's not as impressive or as strong, and outdoors it's nowhere near as nice to fly. Indoors, though, wouldn't you say it's quite a lot better? I seem to remember a video of that plane flying easily in a pole barn.

Getting that type of wing stiff is a huge challenge, though. Maybe use two spars front and rear, linked with thin diagonal braces. If the plane was big enough, you could still do a two-surface airfoil so you have some thickness to add strength. The end result would be something like a CH10.
Aug 08, 2011, 05:17 PM
E-flyer since 1981
No question, the Spacewalker is easier to fly indoors, at least in a gym.

It has lots of diagonal braces.

I don't think the Cub will be any problem in a golf dome, which I plan to try within a few months.
Oct 02, 2011, 03:01 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Sorry it took so long, but finally, some video.

Takeoff, 2 laps and landing. I flew it for about 15 minutes today at a local indoor funfly at a golf dome.

Indoor Cub 0484 (1 min 4 sec)

I also flew my 56" Spacewalker and my 48" profile P51D Mustang, all scratch-built.
Oct 02, 2011, 08:17 PM
billyjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto
Sorry it took so long, but finally, some video.

Takeoff, 2 laps and landing. I flew it for about 15 minutes today at a local indoor funfly at a golf dome.
Attaboy, Michael!!! King of the "Floaters" !!!!

Bill
Oct 03, 2011, 07:36 AM
Wonderful slow flight!

Jim R.
Jan 25, 2012, 04:40 PM
I was directed here from a micro plane blog, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...46395&page=138 and I am just amazed, Michael you did an amazing job of setting the mark very high, hats off to you!

Thanks for sharing.
Jan 27, 2012, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon
I was directed here from a micro plane blog, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...46395&page=138 and I am just amazed, Michael you did an amazing job of setting the mark very high, hats off to you!

Thanks for sharing.
Same here. What a wonderful looking plane!
Jan 27, 2012, 08:10 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Thanks guys.

I've since flown it a few times more, and it's lots of fun!
Aug 15, 2014, 12:28 PM
Here is a link to tell you about what the FAA is planning to do to our hobby, and how you can send your comments to the FAA if you care:
http://www.modelaviationdigital.com/...&pm=2&fs=1#pg3