6-foot scale INDOOR Piper Cub scratchbuild - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 19, 2011, 03:51 AM
...was beautiful before but that looks juuussssssst right.

Fine work. Thats a lot of foam surface area to dust with yellow paint!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2011, 10:28 AM
Michael in Toronto,

Your Cub is first rate! I would assume you have a very large indoor space in which to fly it -- no basketball court with messy baskets hanging down to hang your Cub up

As soon as I saw the start of this thread, I thought of a similar project by Tony Naccarato, in California, in the 1980s. He built and flew indoors a 6-foot span Farman Moustique. Power came from NiCads, of course, and the propeller was spun by an Astro Flight 05 cobalt brushed motor, geared (2.5:1?), the motor of choice in those days. Construction was balsa and heat-shrink film. I assume the color was red, per the prototype Moustique.

Jim R.
Mar 19, 2011, 02:21 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero
Michael in Toronto,

Your Cub is first rate! I would assume you have a very large indoor space in which to fly it -- no basketball court with messy baskets hanging down to hang your Cub up

As soon as I saw the start of this thread, I thought of a similar project by Tony Naccarato, in California, in the 1980s. He built and flew indoors a 6-foot span Farman Moustique. Power came from NiCads, of course, and the propeller was spun by an Astro Flight 05 cobalt brushed motor, geared (2.5:1?), the motor of choice in those days. Construction was balsa and heat-shrink film. I assume the color was red, per the prototype Moustique.

Jim R.

I remember seeing that it a magazine back then.

At about 20 to 21 ounces, I think my plane will fly in a gym, but I will test it outdoors first to trim it, and later in a golf-dome, where I will practice doing a slow and tight oval pattern. Next autumn I will try in a gym.
Mar 19, 2011, 07:17 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Another photo showing strut detail. Struts can fold flat for transport.
Mar 19, 2011, 10:09 PM
Did you get it on video?
Fantastic!

Now for the maiden...

Mar 20, 2011, 06:21 PM
I fly with my little eye
Well done Michael,

Now ignore all the folks out here yelling for you to fly it...(including me! )

Be patient and wait for that idyllic evening. A fantastic job deserving of extraordinary conditions.

Andrew
Mar 30, 2011, 08:19 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Maidened successfully!

Details and photos coming soon.

Maybe a video in a couple days.
Mar 30, 2011, 08:31 PM
Storm Runner guy
Congratulations
Lovely looking thing, huge, but lovely looking.

Eagerly awaiting those pics and definitely the 'maybe' video.
Mar 30, 2011, 09:52 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Maiden flight photos.

Wind was about 5 to 10kph (3 to 6 mph) which is probably the most this plane can handle. Takeoff roll was slow, but wasn't much more than about 2 feet long. Power was marginal in the wind; forward ground speed into the wind was about walking speed. Downwind speed was still visibly slow. The model could turn in about a 15 - 20 foot radius. One of my scratch-built wheels came off on landing; the stryrofoam around the carbon fiber hub is not strong enough. I might need commercial light-weight wheels.
Last edited by Michael in Toronto; Mar 30, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Mar 30, 2011, 09:59 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Looks great.
A bit of 1/64 ply would re-enforce the wheels and spread out the load.

Does this mean the field is now open

Pat MacKenzie
Mar 30, 2011, 10:02 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie

Does this mean the field is now open
The field and pits area are relatively dry.

The parking area is wet mud and deep water; don't drive past the rocky roadway, but go flying if you want.
Mar 30, 2011, 11:45 PM
Before you switch to heavy commercial wheels, try making some from EPP. It's way stronger and tougher than Styrofoam and shouldn't give you any kind of trouble. The only drawback is that sometimes the wheels will develop flat spots when parked for a long time; you can get around this by hanging the plane or by building some wire stands to support the axles and keep the wheels off the ground when the plane is in storage.
Mar 31, 2011, 12:11 AM
Airplane Killer
I saw some light wheels made from a swim noodle once. I'll bet that would work great for these. Cut a lightweight hub from balsa, cut and shape a tire and glue it to the hub. You'll be all set.
Dave
Mar 31, 2011, 12:58 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Masterpiece!!
Mar 31, 2011, 09:54 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Michael, congrats on a nice first flight. You've created a plane that is very unique. Excellent work.

Gordon