6-foot scale INDOOR Piper Cub scratchbuild - Page 2 - RC Groups
Mar 07, 2011, 10:01 PM
E-flyer since 1981
19.3 ounces with motor, esc, 2-cell 800mah battery, prop, wheels, struts, etc.

Still needs decoration, dummy engine, some more paint, receiver and aileron linkages. Looks like it may just top 20 ounces.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2011, 11:12 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
looking great Michael! i love light floaty large planes
Mar 08, 2011, 11:11 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Not very scale, but it's beginning to look like a Cub.

3 hours work on those dummy engines, and they're still not finished. Maybe I'm the dummy.
Mar 10, 2011, 07:40 PM
E-flyer since 1981
I did a presentation on techniques for building with Depron at (one of) our clubs' meetings last evening, and this photo was taken of me with the model. This gives a good indication of its size.
Mar 11, 2011, 09:16 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Michael,
Your Cub is progressing nicely. I like the engine detail. Looking forward to hearing how it flies.

Gordon
Mar 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Total weight (including battery and speed control) is 20.3 ounces, for a wing loading of about 3.86 ounces per square foot.

All RC wiring and linkages complete. Receiver and battery tray lacking. Complete finished weight may reach 21 ounces, bringing wing loading to 4 oz/sq. ft.
Mar 12, 2011, 12:52 AM
Painting the prop? Mm..
Mar 12, 2011, 06:28 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Yes, I said I'd paint the prop; see middle photo above your post.

Is there a problem with painting the prop?
Mar 12, 2011, 07:31 AM
Did you get it on video?
There have been some very well done prop painting jobs, simulating the wood props on cubs...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1400625
Mar 12, 2011, 08:19 AM
The quality of work and all up weight are astounding.

I cannot wait for a flight vid...hopefully involving a slow shadow being cast over several vapors/embers at once. haha.

I do have one TINY nitpick. Wider wheels may be worth the weight penalty they might carry just for the sake of the chubby tire "cub" look.

...bare in mind, that is me complaining about a mole on a super model.
Mar 12, 2011, 09:35 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey
There have been some very well done prop painting jobs, simulating the wood props on cubs...
That prop is excellent. I will try to copy that.
Mar 12, 2011, 09:36 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapinthedark

I do have one TINY nitpick. Wider wheels may be worth the weight penalty they might carry just for the sake of the chubby tire "cub" look.
I know. They bug me too, but they're super light.

I may go to the hobby store and try to find something more Cub-like.
Mar 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
Shape your own wheels from EPP foam. You just cut a rough blank and use sandpaper to shape them. Then you glue a 1/64" ply washer to the sides to help support the axle:

(From Here)

(From Power's AP designs)

I don't know what Power's wheels weigh, but the scale wheels in the first image are 5" diameter and only weigh 21 grams, including the struts.
Mar 12, 2011, 09:35 PM
E-flyer since 1981
OK. Total weight including battery, receiver, and decorations is 20.6 ounces, for a wing loading of 3.96 oz/sq.ft. Just slightly more than my projected weight of 20oz but still below the 4oz/sq.ft. wing loading target.

Measured power at full throttle is 9.2 amps x (at least) 7.4 volts = 68 watts, with an 11/4.7 GWS prop. This is adequate to fly the plane in a scale manner. I'll switch to 3 cells only if I really need more power.

I still need to add the Piper Cub logo on the fin, but I think I'll stop adding scale details at this point.

As soon as there's a windless day, I'll maiden it outside (it's beginning to warm up here in Toronto, but it's still pretty wet and windy), hopefully within the month. If it goes well, I may add a few more scale details.

If it goes really well, I'll start building floats.
Mar 19, 2011, 12:19 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Well, I just had to replace the wheels.

These are scratch-built, pink styrofoam, balsa and carbon fiber, 2 3/4" diam., hub cap covers plastic axle retainer. Total weight: 7 grams (that's both wheels, painted), which replace the commercial 9 gram wheels.

I am absolutely stopping all work now, and will only add more scale details after it's flown. I have no opportunity to fly it in a golf dome in the near future, so outdoors will have to do. Weather's improving (snow is just about all gone) but it's still wet and windy.