3DHobbyShop 59" AJ SLICK - Page 444 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Oct 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprob17
2cents again so that's 4 total for today

on anything under 70"+/- i stay away from adding excess gear and "spaghetti"

the internal bec's on the ice-75 lite, ice-100 are good to go. If redundancy is what you are after, by all means drop a separate bec in the mix, it just isn't a necessity.
+1.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17
2cents again so that's 4 total for today

on anything under 70"+/- I stay away from adding excess gear and "spaghetti"

the internal BEC's on the ICE-75 Lite, ICE-100 are good to go. If redundancy is what you are after, by all means drop a separate BEC in the mix, it just isn't a necessity.
is internal bec really ok for 4x digitals??? 2x digitals+2x 225's - been running for a while on my 57" but 4 digitals im kinda scared to run without external bec...
Oct 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
It will handle 4 digitals minis like the 5245s with no issues.
Oct 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
ADC Vinyl
Fliprob17's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts
is internal bec really ok for 4x digitals??? 2x digitals+2x 225's - been running for a while on my 57" but 4 digitals im kinda scared to run without external bec...
Yep, no issues. With the surfaces taped in place/binded the most I saw was 2.2amps with all servos loaded. The internal BEC is rated at 5amps.

I have the ICE-75 Lite with (4) HS-5245MG's, no issues.
Oct 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
PlaneCraz3d's Avatar
Exactly, Ice 100 lite, 4x 5245mg's motor and esc are cooler than battery which is only warm to the touch after 6-7 mins. I haven't tried the max load test yet, I'll have to do that.
Oct 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Shirty's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17
2cents again so that's 4 total for today

on anything under 70"+/- I stay away from adding excess gear and "spaghetti"

the internal BEC's on the ICE-75 Lite, ICE-100 are good to go. If redundancy is what you are after, by all means drop a separate BEC in the mix, it just isn't a necessity.
(Thats 5 cents in Aussie dollars!) Thanks for the explanation.
Oct 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

Max amps to the receiver using an ICE-75


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17
Yep, no issues. With the surfaces taped in place/binded the most I saw was 2.2amps with all servos loaded. The internal BEC is rated at 5amps.

I have the ICE-75 Lite with (4) HS-5245MG's, no issues.
Thanks for the load test data. I wanted to know what is the amp draw with all four HS 5245MG servos loaded using the ICE-75.

My ICE-75 ESC has the one line and connector that goes into the throttle channel on my Spektrum 8 channel receiver. What's the maximum amps the one line and connector from the ESC to the throttle channel will input to the receiver?
Oct 12, 2012, 01:15 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
PlaneCraz3d's Avatar
A standard servo connector is rated for 3 amps continuous, but can handle up to 5 amps burst.
Oct 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

Preventing electronics failures


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddux99
A standard servo connector is rated for 3 amps continuous, but can handle up to 5 amps burst.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll have to check with Castle to see if the connector is standard or high amp. The ICE-75 is rated for 5 amps. I wouldn't feel safe in presuming that because the ESC can max 5 amps to the servos that the wire and connector supplied with the ICE-75 is rated for 5 amps continuous.

What's the time for 5 amps burst on a standard servo connector? 10 seconds? 20 seconds?
Oct 12, 2012, 01:45 PM
Registered User
shadow102's Avatar
i have been running 4 hs5245's off the internal BEC on a ZTW esc running 6s without a single issue i cant see there being a problem unless you completely short a servo
Oct 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
PlaneCraz3d's Avatar
I'm not sure on the time alloted for burst current. I know when charging my A123's through the charge port on the switch with a servo plug (on a different Glow powered plane) I can charge at 4 amps with no heating of the wire of connector, however 5 amps I both the wire and connector start to get warm. This is with a continuous current obviously. Maybe someone else can chime in with better numbers.
Oct 12, 2012, 01:58 PM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

Optimum setups


Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102
i have been running 4 hs5245's off the internal BEC on a ZTW esc running 6s without a single issue i cant see there being a problem unless you completely short a servo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddux99
I'm not sure on the time alloted for burst current. I know when charging my A123's through the charge port on the switch with a servo plug (on a different Glow powered plane) I can charge at 4 amps with no heating of the wire of connector, however 5 amps I both the wire and connector start to get warm. This is with a continuous current obviously. Maybe someone else can chime in with better numbers.
Guys, thanks for your replies and sharing your experience. I'm still searching for an optimum setup on multiple 48"-65" WS airframes.
Oct 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Carpe Fermentum
DocOne's Avatar
Here's what I ended up getting for mine:
- Motrofly 4315-714 Motor
- Castle Ice 100 ESC
- XOAR 15x7E wood prop
- 4Sx4000 batteries
- HS-225 servos

I'll let you know how it flies in a bit!

Doc
Oct 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
PlaneCraz3d's Avatar
pics and vids please.
Oct 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddux99
That is some great flying RCPilot! My skills are nowhere near that yet. I'm still closer to a sport flyer with some light 3d mixed in but I'm getting better. I just recieved my replacement 59 yesterday and hope to have it up soon. Those servos do look good, I'm running HS 5245mg's but if ever need to upgrade I may try them out. Are you still having trouble with them jittering at center?
Thanks!

I am having trouble with them jittering (others have reported this also with the 7245's) but I can honestly say it does not affect flight performance at all. And if you wish to stop it, just place a small piece of Velcro between the counterbalance on the evelevator and the horizontal stab (as the pressure stops the jittering)


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted 3DHobbyShop 70" AJ Slick bbigdog2243 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jan 01, 2011 12:24 AM
Video 3DHobbyShop Aj Slick ''Rc Day Two Rockin'' with onboard video Get Real Electric Plane Talk 2 Jun 18, 2009 04:07 AM
Sold 3dhobbyshop AJ Slick Wings Flazo Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 May 16, 2009 11:46 PM
Discussion 3DHobbyShop 51" AJ SLICK - how durable for 3D moves? Voyager 3D Flying 13 May 06, 2009 07:10 AM