Jul 19, 2012, 09:21 AM
Had a blast flying this aeroplane last night - was racing with my buddies Habu!

She is so rock solid and stable. We were doing full power fly-pasts, about 2 or 3 feet off the runway!

I'm not sure the C4240 on 4S with an 11x7 prop is any faster than the stock motor on 4S with the 11x7 prop.

Maybe the airframe is maxed out for speed, and anything over 500watts is just wasted (by drag)? Any opinions? I certainly think the C4240 is a more durable motor than stock, it's coming down cooler and seems less stressed.

Love this plane!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
Crashmater39,

Nope i mean the whole motor mt. is shifted to the right looking from the front towards the canopy. picture a circle then picture a circle off to the right. another word i have about a 1/4 inch of cowl area on left and maybe less than an 1/8 inch on right, i can see that it looks like the motor mount is off center of the fuse.

So i am not sure this is normal or not, there is No tilt or pointing of spinner towards the right it is just offset. and i tell ya, it has taken painkilling time to get the spinner bal! took forever with a lot of matl removal, but got there and very smooth now!

Ubootwo
Jul 20, 2012, 08:14 AM
Ubootwo - your motor mounts is perfectly normal (by the sounds of things.)
Jul 24, 2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277
Just thought I would share a flight video from this weekend with a cockpit cam perspective. Gotta fly some time in between setting up and repairing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-EVnrtMGFw
Hi Jboy,

I know it's been some time since you posted this. I really like the perspective of your flight video. Could you please show or describe how you placed the camera inside the canopy and how you made the camera easily accessible there?

Currently I don't own a P-51, but a Dynam T-28 and I had my first flights with a 808 keychain camera. I placed the camera outside the canopy or below the fuse. It works, but I really don't like the excessive wind noise. OK, your video isn't exactly silent, but the wind noise is cut and I think the motor noise is more bearable. Besides, your perspective adds some nice degree of realism to it.

Of course, others may feel free to answer as well.

Cheers
David.
Jul 26, 2012, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 flyby

I like the sliding canopy on the plane in the front. Is that a modded Dynam? With a solution like this I could easily insert and remove a mini keychain camera (808) in my current T-28 or future P-51...
Jul 26, 2012, 01:34 PM
Looks like the plane at the front with the open canopy is the new Art Tech one.
Jul 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
Add your country to profile:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubootwo
Crashmater39,

Nope i mean the whole motor mt. is shifted to the right looking from the front towards the canopy. picture a circle then picture a circle off to the right. another word i have about a 1/4 inch of cowl area on left and maybe less than an 1/8 inch on right, i can see that it looks like the motor mount is off center of the fuse.

So i am not sure this is normal or not, there is No tilt or pointing of spinner towards the right it is just offset. and i tell ya, it has taken painkilling time to get the spinner bal! took forever with a lot of matl removal, but got there and very smooth now!

Ubootwo
Ubootwo , what you describe does NOT sound normal to me. You should definitely see right thrust angle to the spinner back plate when you stand over the plane an look down on it from above. This matching angle should be molded into the foam front face of the fuselage so that the spinner backing plate nicely lines up with the fuse. I know there is about a 1/8 inch or so air gap between spinner and foam all the way around the plane on mine.
When viewed from above the plane, you don't see any right thrust on yours???
Last edited by CrashMaster39; Jul 26, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Jul 26, 2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenigtelefoniere
Hi Jboy,

I know it's been some time since you posted this. I really like the perspective of your flight video. Could you please show or describe how you placed the camera inside the canopy and how you made the camera easily accessible there?

Currently I don't own a P-51, but a Dynam T-28 and I had my first flights with a 808 keychain camera. I placed the camera outside the canopy or below the fuse. It works, but I really don't like the excessive wind noise. OK, your video isn't exactly silent, but the wind noise is cut and I think the motor noise is more bearable. Besides, your perspective adds some nice degree of realism to it.

Of course, others may feel free to answer as well.

Cheers
David.
I just cut the foam at the bottom of the canopy so that it was removable. This gives you access to the interior of the canopy. I built a platform out of foam for the camera, which I glued to the canopy bottom. To make it easier to remove and reinstall the canopy bottom, I used magnets to hold the it in place.

One important point, I had a clear plexiglass window in the front to make the video clearer. I got this plane from Killer Planes, and that was one of the options. You can probably get it from a hardware store. You just cut away the front and put the plexiglass in its place.

I hope that's clear. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can explain it better. Good luck.
Jul 27, 2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277
I just cut the foam at the bottom of the canopy so that it was removable. This gives you access to the interior of the canopy. I built a platform out of foam for the camera, which I glued to the canopy bottom. To make it easier to remove and reinstall the canopy bottom, I used magnets to hold the it in place.

One important point, I had a clear plexiglass window in the front to make the video clearer. I got this plane from Killer Planes, and that was one of the options. You can probably get it from a hardware store. You just cut away the front and put the plexiglass in its place.

I hope that's clear. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can explain it better. Good luck.
JBoy,

thanks for this how-to. Maybe I can apply this to my future P-51.
I'll have to think about how I can adapt this to my T-28. Opening the canopy is all the same, but the canopy of the T-28 has a curved front. Maybe I'll cut a piece and replace it with straight plexi nonetheless. Good aerials are more important to me than "scale" look on the ground.

Thanks again, and cheers!
David.
Jul 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
Well ordered one last nite, got to try this P-51. Looks good...and the price is right.
Jul 28, 2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenigtelefoniere
I like the sliding canopy on the plane in the front. Is that a modded Dynam? With a solution like this I could easily insert and remove a mini keychain camera (808) in my current T-28 or future P-51...
That is the new Art Tech....I have made a canopy like this for my dynam. With Double Trouble two i have put my ipod in it for video worked pretty good
Jul 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
hey Crash, I really dont see a tilt or angle from top just a bit off center.

And....... today got hardly no wind went out on maiden n WOW I am impressed hardly no trimmin needed flew fantastic, got about 5 flights in so far today gonna go for more towards eve.Like some say it fly's on a rail!

All I can say is thanks everybody for helping me on this thread! Great Plane! I highly recommend, first flight in over 20 yrs and no issues 2 out of 5 had nose over on landing once got right speed coming in no problems! gotta luv it!

Ubootwo
Jul 30, 2012, 08:19 AM
Add your country to profile:)
Wow Ubootwoo, congratulations on the maiden! Since your plane flies great, clearly your motor angle must be fine. Have fun with it, I love my Mustang too.
Jul 30, 2012, 12:56 PM
Yes sir! went out later that eve and got in another 4 flights, same as above like on rails, luv this plane!!

Ubootwo
Jul 30, 2012, 09:46 PM
Corona, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihinch
I'm not sure the C4240 on 4S with an 11x7 prop is any faster than the stock motor on 4S with the 11x7 prop.

Maybe the airframe is maxed out for speed, and anything over 500watts is just wasted (by drag)? Any opinions?
A 4240 will swing a 12-6 no problem and it WILL go faster. You're wasting the torque of the motor on the 11-7.

Quick Reply