Chevell's Xtreme frame mods - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by chevell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 21, 2011, 11:47 AM
Registered User
chevell's Avatar
Build Log

Chevell's Xtreme frame mods

The first mod I would like to add is how to get the ESC's heat away from the Rx which is known to cause gyro drifting problems. This problem has been around for quite sometime and is a definate Walkera blunder. In fact I've had 4 other people complain about this same problem so far. Here is another thread about this problem at Helifreak. >

I even had Walkera replace my Rx thinking that it was the problem when in fact the heat from the ESC was causing the gyro's to drift in an uncontrolled mannor a few minutes into the run. Pretty much everyone with the ESC mounted to the side of the 2610V Rx needs to do this.

The second mod is to the Xtreme landing gear which was way too squishy in my opinion, especially when you squeezed them from the sides. I added some .030" carbon struts and held them in place with some shrink tubing. This makes the landing gear much stiffer and stronger while still allowing the landing gear to flex at the mid point. I still need to test this one out more but so far it's good and only adds minimal weight.

The third mod "picture 3" is my canopy mount, I just didn't like the thin carbon rod they were using so I made a thicker mounting rod from the carbon tail shaft. I used thin carbon .015" for the carbon rod mount and shrink tubing to hold it all in place. You can see where I used the screws on the Xtreme frame to hold the mount on. It's very strong and light this way.

The fourth mod "picture 5" is a small .015" carbon shim that goes under the tail boom set screw. I had to dremel a bit of aluminum away to fit the shim in. You can see it there under the set screw between the tail boom and the aluminum part. This small carbon shim displaces the load much more evenly than the screw and allows you to tighten it down much tighter with no fear of splitting the boom. It also increased the rigidity of the entire tail boom because of the higher clamping force.

The fifth mod "picture 4" are some carbon tail blades I made from .030" carbon sheet, I've also made a light weight tail fin from 1/16" carbon fiber. I updated this picture to show the Xtreme tail box and Boca bearing upgrade.

The sixth mod "picture 6" is where I added some -002 o-rings to remove play in the linkage. I'm using one on each link end and three at the upper swash. None on the lower swash balls as there isn't enough room. This seems to work extremely well.

Number seven mod "pics 10 and 11" shows wiring routing for Xtreme frame and outrunner.

More mods to come.
Last edited by chevell; Jul 13, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts

Thread Tools