Apr 16, 2011, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel
I saw this option while I was window shopping on the NEsail site, but I can't find it now. Imagine a standard, yet shallow V tail; now take the tips and bend them up a little steeper, creating a polyhedral.
So it is exactly what it sounds like. Weird but fun because it's weird :-P
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2011, 02:01 PM
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Yeah, don't know how well it works, but it looked cool!
Apr 27, 2011, 01:05 PM
Thread OP
It's been a while again, but I've made more progress! The plane is covered but for stripes on the right wing, and the radio is installed including a snazzy on/off switch + charging jack contraption. This is my neatest installation yet (of a whole 3 :-P), and I hope I don't have to do too much to it.

Crimping and soldering the threaded inserts onto the pushrod cable went okay, I hope. First time I've used pushrods like this. I'm afraid my soldering skills and supplies aren't up to snuff, but it might help hold things in place...

Next, a question that has bugged me for a while now. Every time I go to put a clevis through a servo output arm hole I discover that the hole is way too small. Is this normal? I mean, the kit came with clevises for both sides of the pushrod, but I'm using my own mini servos (HS-55s). Do the mini-servos have mini holes, or do they just always make small holes because you can always make holes bigger but not smaller?

The plane feels really solid now. It seems a lot heavier than my old Gentle Lady, but it's got a decent spar which is way stronger, so this is expected. Not to mention the greater wing area to keep the loading down.

I must say, the hardwood dowel leading edge is really nice. I'm still learning how to handle the structure without cracking ribs and denting tips, so having some tough wood up front really helps me out

I've got a follow-on post to write soon.
Apr 27, 2011, 05:04 PM
Going in circles.
Looks good! Can't wait for the flight reports.
Apr 27, 2011, 08:16 PM
Thread OP
Before I covered too much of the wing, I had to hook up the spoilers. As per the plans, I use two servos mounted in the wing connected to the spoilers with a piece of carefully bent wire. The trick is to get the servos working in tandem with the output arm at the same angle and the wires adjusted to just the right length so that the spoilers seat flush but without stalling the servo and extend the same amount on each side. Turns out this is much trickier to do than to explain. It took me a good 2 hours to get it all figured out. Fiddly as the dickens, but hopefully it'll stay now that I've got it adjusted nicely. If I build spoilers in the future, I will strongly consider a different connection method though. I've already read of several in my half a year or so on these forums, so I guess it's just one of those things that's hard to do well...

I put some foam tape on the wing saddle because the fit was sloppy (thanks to my quality *ahem* building job, I'm sure) and the wing sits more flush with either end of the fuselage now. I assume this isn't going to cause trouble, but maybe one of you fine gents will let me know if it will

So what's left? I've gotta figure out what battery/lead shot combination will put the CG in the right spot, put the tow hook in place and then trimming! Oh, and put the orientation stripes on. Not bad!

I'm itching to fly, but the weather hasn't been so good lately. Lots of wind and clouds. I'm enjoying the first vestiges of thunderstorm season, but it's not helping me get out to the field! Patience, grasshopper...
Apr 27, 2011, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim
Looks good! Can't wait for the flight reports.
Me either! Maybe the weather will cooperate next week...
Apr 28, 2011, 10:52 AM
Gasbags & Gussets

connectors are a pain in the behind....

[QUOTE=ieyasu;18085328]Next, a question that has bugged me for a while now. Every time I go to put a clevis through a servo output arm hole I discover that the hole is way too small. Is this normal? I mean, the kit came with clevises for both sides of the pushrod, but I'm using my own mini servos (HS-55s). Do the mini-servos have mini holes, or do they just always make small holes because you can always make holes bigger but not smaller?QUOTE]

I know what you mean and have to enlarge the servo arm hole most of the time. I have pretty much gone over to this product by du-bro. It allows me to put a 'fixed' z bend or L bend in the flying surface control arm and have infinite adjustability at the servo end. I like the hex head vs. screw head to finish up locking in place. They are big but that is why the fuse is there = to coverup the mechanics, not hold the flying surfaces in place

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-fdsh-Z/Detail

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ies/Categories

john s.
Apr 28, 2011, 07:57 PM
Probably a little more rigid to drill out the servo wheel, but those things can work ok.
Apr 28, 2011, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Interesting, jswain. Certainly another option to consider...
Apr 29, 2011, 07:30 PM
Clever quip goes here!
Looking great ieyasu! I'm inspired to wrap up my Drifter build.... weather is gonna be crummy Sunday, so I have no excuse for not building this weekend!
Apr 29, 2011, 08:25 PM
Gasbags & Gussets

depends on the weather....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring
Looking great ieyasu! I'm inspired to wrap up my Drifter build.... weather is gonna be crummy Sunday, so I have no excuse for not building this weekend!
I hope the NBA Thunder wins and moves on. The fans have so much sprit in OKC and the team is doing so well well for a young franchise. My building comes to a standstill when the Olympics and Nba/Mlb playoffs are going on.

js
Last edited by jswain; Apr 29, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Apr 30, 2011, 09:19 AM
Clever quip goes here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain
I hope the NBA Thunder wins and moves on. The fans have so much sprit in OKC and the team is doing so well well for a young franchise. My building comes to a standstill when the Olympics and Nba/Mlb playoffs are going on.

js

I've never been a big sports fan... growing up in Vegas, there are no pro teams to cheer for.... unless you are betting! But now that I'm here, it's hard not to get caught up in the excitement. I'm hoping the Thunder do well too. It will make OKC proud!

Sorry for the off-topic swerve! We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.....
Apr 30, 2011, 07:22 PM

Looks good

Very nice job.

I just finished my electric Chrysalis. I did my spoilers by having the servo arm push them up. I added a small magnet to them so when it closes the magnet keeps rhem closed.

Here's a couple pictures of mine. I added some stripes to the bottom of the right wing.

I think I'll order a fuselage and tail from don so I can have a pure glider also.

Eddie
May 01, 2011, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieyasu
It's been a while again, but I've made more progress! The plane is covered but for stripes on the right wing, and the radio is installed including a snazzy on/off switch + charging jack contraption. This is my neatest installation yet (of a whole 3 :-P), and I hope I don't have to do too much to it.

Crimping and soldering the threaded inserts onto the pushrod cable went okay, I hope. First time I've used pushrods like this. I'm afraid my soldering skills and supplies aren't up to snuff, but it might help hold things in place...

Next, a question that has bugged me for a while now. Every time I go to put a clevis through a servo output arm hole I discover that the hole is way too small. Is this normal? I mean, the kit came with clevises for both sides of the pushrod, but I'm using my own mini servos (HS-55s). Do the mini-servos have mini holes, or do they just always make small holes because you can always make holes bigger but not smaller?

The plane feels really solid now. It seems a lot heavier than my old Gentle Lady, but it's got a decent spar which is way stronger, so this is expected. Not to mention the greater wing area to keep the loading down.

I must say, the hardwood dowel leading edge is really nice. I'm still learning how to handle the structure without cracking ribs and denting tips, so having some tough wood up front really helps me out

I've got a follow-on post to write soon.
Where did you get that nice on/off switch batt charge connector unit?
May 01, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkcook
Where did you get that nice on/off switch batt charge connector unit?
Tower Hobbies: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ778&P=7 It looks smaller in the marketing photo than in real life, but it sure is nice.

Quick Reply