This thread is privately moderated by jbc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 18, 2011, 11:03 PM
jbc
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

F-86 Sabre by FlyFly/Hobby Topgun

I purchased this jet from Hobbyking a while ago where I then decided to store away till I got the bug to build her. All I'll say is that I wish the bug had bitten sooner MAAAAAANNNN this is one NIIIIIICE flying plane!
I decided to go with a 5S power system instead of the usual 6S which seemed quite common as I already had quite a few 5S batteries.
Results were:
87.46Amps
1583Watts with a 5S 4000mAh 30C battery.

I used a 120Amp ESC, 2075KV 36-75 motor with heatsink coupled with a Wemotec 90mm rotor in the stock FlyFly stator and this gave me 2.7kg of thrust, the AUW comes in at 2.9kg so there's a nice power to weight ratio, gave me more power than I needed and allowed me to perform any style of flying I wanted to
I retrofitted some cheap Hobbyking $7.50 retracts which have more than done the job for the mains and used a spare EPF DSR for the nose steering which I had leftover from another model.
The big sticking point of this model is that the wing needs some major reinforcing with carbon before it can become flyable. WARNING : If you don't do this you'll literally rip off the wings first flight not a good thing for the unsuspecting/novice builder

Once you can get past the wing issue and finally get her built ohhhhh baby baby will she bring you some BIG SMILES! This has to be one of the nicest flying models I have come across, stable and easy to fly are what stick in your mind after your first flight.

THE BAD:
Gear needs adjustment in height for shorter grass takeoffs
EPS foam is a little soft
Stock rotor is a poor performer
The stock gear mount system is not very good
Wing MUST HAVE carbon added or is un-flyable

THE GOOD:
Incredible easy to fly
Extremely stable
Glides excellent
Looks very good on the ground as well as in the air
Wing is removable for transportation
Easy to modify and customize with wide variety of power system choices

If your in the market for a larger 90mm EDF and don't mind mucking around with doing some modifications (ie wing spar) the F-86 should be one to look out for. Take your time and build her right from the beginning and she'll look after you with many flights of absolute pleasure

FlyFly Hobby Topgun F-86 Sabre REVIEW, Build & Flight Test (14 min 28 sec)
Last edited by jbc; Feb 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply