Prefabricated Metal Runway? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 18, 2011, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Prefabricated Metal Runway?

I can't for the life of me remember what this stuff is called but I've seen it in plenty of documentaries from the WWII era. It's a system of interlocking metal panels used to cover and temporarily "pave" otherwise unprepared runway surfaces. The closest thing I've been able to find by Googling is "Prefabricated Bituminised Surfacing" (PBS), but I don't think that's what it is.
Can anyone help me out with finding the name for this material?

Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2011, 07:23 PM
Registered User
Marston Matting (PSP or Pierced Steel Planking) is the main name I know for it. I understand it was also made from aluminum (PAP, Pierced Aluminum Planking) as a lighter-weight, more easily airliftable alternative.

Feb 21, 2011, 09:24 AM
Registered User

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Difficulty landing on runway Killionaire Simulators 2 Dec 31, 2010 10:04 AM
Question Runway meterial kurt112345 Electric Plane Talk 31 Nov 26, 2010 06:01 PM
Discussion New Runway... First Flight? chalmrast Gilbert Quiet Flyers (Arizona) 54 Oct 23, 2010 08:29 PM
Joke Runway? We don't need no stinking runway! Ranfred Radius Humor 0 Dec 04, 2008 08:34 PM
Prefabricated planes locomoto Electric Plane Talk 0 Jun 03, 2004 03:15 PM