Wasp maX maiden - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 04, 2003, 12:23 AM
"Superior Air Power"

Wasp maX maiden

One word to sum it all up: PERFECT!

From the build, which went very well & very fast, to the first flight, which was perfect, I'd say this is a great plane for the intermediate flyer!
Even though Dave has changed a few minor details on this kit, mine went together fine. Wing was perfectly straight, no warps.
Tail section fit was exact, no misfitting parts. I built this all with no plans, just instructions Dave provided. I mostly looked at the pictures, especially the 3D exploded views of the wing and fuse.

Now to the flight report.
I set dual rates for elevator and ailerons at 25% and 75%, rudder was set to 100%. I have all push rods on the outside extream hole on all servo arms and outside hole on all control horns. This gives about 45 degrees deflection at 100% rate.

So I started with elevator and ailerons on 25%. Started the motor and gave it a toss. The plane took off at a 30 degree climb, I had all controls set neutral and it still climbed. I pulled back a little on the stick and it went to 45 degrees and kept climbing. I circled the field in the climb then leveled out. The plane would hold level flight with stick in neutral, if I pointed it up then let go of the stick it would hold that climb! I didn't have to trim anything, it flew perfect.
I wondered if it would go vertical. I flew around trying rolls and loops, loops are real big. I was up about 100', pulled back and watched it go vertcal for about 75' then fall out. Never had a plane that would go vertical with out a dive before. I then switched the elevator to 75%. Oh yeah, tight loops now. Switched the ailerons to 75% , rolls at about two a second. Did some snap rolls, boy they're fast! Tried some touch and go's, forgot the Wasp needs a little power coming in and I hit the prop. Will practice touch and go's and bring an extra prop next time!
I forgot to mention that there was a 10-15 mph wind blowing when I started. The Wasp X didn't notice any stinking wind! And it flies like it's on rails! Ok, so I don't have a lot of experience but as far as it goes this plane is a very percise flier. After flying half the pack out I landed and checked things over. I did a ROG, less then 5' it was in the air and climbing. WOW, I love brushless power!
I will spend many an hour with this plane practicing flying inverted, knife edge and all those other fun aerobatics that make my hair stand on end.
Flight lasted 25 min and that was 90% full throttle. Motor and battery were not very warm.

Dave, thanks for another fun airplane. Need to get the bench cleared off so I can start the Traveller with the Astro 020!

Picture attached is after first flight. Will try to get some in flight photos soon. See, it's still in one piece!

John
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Aug 04, 2003 at 12:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2003, 12:57 AM
Hi W,

Nice! I have one of the beta kits about 90% framed up too. Looks like yours came out really well. I was so impressed with the beta kit that I ordered a production version too.

May I ask what battery pack you are using? I'll be using a similar power system and would like a shot at 25 minutes too.

Thanks, Mickydee
Aug 04, 2003, 02:58 AM
John,

Congratulations on your successful maiden! You sure did a nice job building your Wasp-maX. It sounds like you'll be having as much fun as I am flying the WM. I can hardly wait for my brushless motors to arrive so I can try them in the WM, although I am getting pretty good performance with EPS300/8x250mah AAA's. From your construction thread I gather your AUW is lower than my 11.8 oz? I wonder if a different prop would give you better vertical climb?

Not much changed in the production kits just a few tweaks and the design of the aileron Leading edge. I changed it to use the same construction details I used in the Maxon, which I liked better.

Looking forward to some in-flight photos.......and maybe some video?...

David
Last edited by d_trafalgar; Aug 04, 2003 at 03:57 PM.
Aug 04, 2003, 01:13 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Mickydee,
I'm using 3s1p 1200mah high output Kokams. I have another 3s1p of 950mah from Wild RC I need to try.

The gear is

Astro 010 14t
"C" gear box
10x8 prop
Pico RX & servos

Dave,
My AUW is 12.3oz with the Kokams and 11.6 with the Wild RC pack.

I flew this morning and the climb is near vertical, almost straight up. It will go spec in less than a minute.
Any suggestions on props?

John
Aug 04, 2003, 03:51 PM
Sounds Cool!
any video?

Thanks
Aug 04, 2003, 03:52 PM
Quote:
[i]Dave,
My AUW is 12.3oz with the Kokams and 11.6 with the Wild RC pack.

I flew this morning and the climb is near vertical, almost straight up. It will go spec in less than a minute.
Any suggestions on props?

John [/B]

12.3oz...? I would have guessed it was less.
I just weighed mine again. AUW is 11.8 with the 8x250mah AAA's, and 12.7 with the 8x 700mah AAA's.

No suggestions on the prop. When I get my brushless I’ll be able to experiment with different set-ups. There are a few threads around with test results using the 010, and RZ400. You might try looking there. Of course if you’re not interested in trying to hover it then the 10x8 sounds like a decent match….J

D
Aug 04, 2003, 08:10 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Dave,
Things that added weight:
Fillet of thick CA to strengthen both sides of bottom plate on the fuse.
Kokam pack 2.8oz
Extension cable from elevator servo to RX. (Out of habbit I put the R & E control horns on oppsite sides so servos are mounted oppsite and the E servo cable did reach!)
Added dense 1/32 piece on top of wing brace for better distribution of pressure.
Put filler in tab holes on fuse for smooth surface.

Take off with fresh pack is less then 3', dialed in some left rudder trim to keep it from torquing right, once up I take the trim out.

Not to interested in hovering but going vertical while rolling is cool!

Travellor,
I can do ditgital photos but have no way of converting composite video to digital video... yet.

John
Aug 04, 2003, 08:29 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Here are two pictures of the servos and cable routing. I now know I could have put both control horns on the same side and both servos the same and route the servo cables on the RX side. This would save haveing to use the extension cable.

You can also see the piece of 1/32 sheet on to of the wing brace. The wing is pulled down against the brace and back against the rear brace for positive contact. The leading edge makes contact withthe front for three point stability as well.

John
Aug 04, 2003, 08:38 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Hey John-

Great flight report! Glad to hear it's flying well for you!

On the props, a while back I ran my 14t 010/5.33 (C) up on the Whattmeter, here are some props and the amps they pull:

9x7.........3.1
10x4.7....3.3
10x8.......4.2
11x4.7....3.8
12x6.......5.6

These tests were done on 3x1020 Kokams, the E Tec amp draws will be higher because the cells have lower resistance. But based on the numbers, you can safely test any of those props without stressing the 3x1200 pack you're running.
Aug 04, 2003, 09:43 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Thanks Tres!
I figured the 10x8 was the best bet, I knew a 12x? would give more thrust but don't have landing gear tall enough. I did try a 10x4.7, just by feel I could tell the 10x8 was pulling harder and the whine from GB was a little lower pitch so amp draw had to be a bit higher. Just flying by the seat of my pants!

I have flown it twice now and mostly WOT. The motor and batt temp can't be over 90 F, slightly warm to the touch, runs pretty cool.

If wind dies down will try to get some in flight photos tonight.
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Aug 04, 2003 at 11:47 PM.
Aug 04, 2003, 11:50 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Here are some in flight photos. It was getting dark in a hurry so didn't get too many. They're a bit grainy, sorry!

This first was taken just after ROG.
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Aug 04, 2003 at 11:54 PM.
Aug 04, 2003, 11:53 PM
"Superior Air Power"
This sequence my son took after second ROG while the Wasp maX was climbing near veritcal.
Aug 05, 2003, 08:19 PM
Can the Wasp Max be Flown with just Aileron & Elevator & No Rudder? Wil it fly on the Stock 300C-CS Motor & an Etec 1200-2S Lipoly Pack?

-Thanks-

Mike
Aug 05, 2003, 08:26 PM
"Superior Air Power"
mrebman,
Yes, you can glue the elevator so it does not hinge. This will aslo make it lighter not haveing the servo.

And being lighter it will probably with the 2s LiPo pack.

There's also the original Wasp that is set up for E/A with
no rudder and it has been flown with the 300C setup but was originaly intended for an IPS DXA.

John
Aug 05, 2003, 09:12 PM
mreban:

Yes it can be flown with no rudder.

Also, check out this video. This Wasp-maX has the stock 300C-CS.
http://www.cl-i-max.com/Downloads/Wasp-maX%20Video.avi

D