Aug 05, 2003, 08:35 PM
Motley crewmember
Quote:
Originally posted by BennyLaird

Thanks for saving me on that as I was going round in circles trying to identify it. [/B]

Good training for a Roton flight
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2003, 08:38 PM

Flying Silo

Luke's flying silo is the Rotary Rocket. A proof of concept atmospheric test vehicle for the Roton -- a privatly funded attempt to build a single stage to orbit reusable space craft that lands vertically under power by rockets in the tips of the rotor blades. The pilot sits behind a round window on the left side of the vehicle as it appears in the photo.
Aug 05, 2003, 08:42 PM
Oops, you guys are quick. You edged me out by a few minutes as I was composing my reply.
Aug 05, 2003, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
Probably misusing this forum as it's not exactly electric scale modeling as such but maybe someone will get an idea for a model. Anyway I'm enjoying it......
Aug 05, 2003, 08:47 PM
I'm going to post one for you anyway.
Aug 05, 2003, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Looks English. Sort of thing Peter Rake would make a nice model of. May be Sopwith???? Off looking anyway.
Aug 05, 2003, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Hmmm could it be an early drone as I can't make out a cockpit. I know I have seen it before but not sure where.

Has to be european with the style of houses in the background.

Anyone out there helping out on this one?????

Perhaps a clue???? LOL
Aug 05, 2003, 10:55 PM
Your very cold - not Sopwith and not English. You can certainly see what looks like, and probably was, Sopwith's influence though.

I put it up because it would make a great model (keeps the discussion in forum) and has about the simplest wing setup I've ever seen on a biplane.

When I first looked at it, I would have guessed that it was some homebuilt one-off design, but it was actually produced by a major manufacturer.
Aug 05, 2003, 10:58 PM
Thread OP
I thought it might be a Laird Baby Biplane at first until I checked. That uses a similar simple layout.

The tail looks a little like a Fokker.
Aug 05, 2003, 11:00 PM
It's not European and it actually does have a cockpit. The windscreen can be just barely seen behind the rear right cabane strut.

Also I am guessing that none of these ever saw European shores but I could be wrong on that.
Aug 05, 2003, 11:01 PM
Thread OP

not the Laird Baby Biplane

actually the Laird Keller but totaly different powerplant
Aug 05, 2003, 11:04 PM
Thread OP
Hmm Curtiss maybe? I take it it's american then?
Aug 05, 2003, 11:12 PM
Not Curtiss

The manufacturer of this machine started out as one of the world's leaders in aircraft design and development, but by the time they built this one they were playing catch up with Sopwith, Curtiss and others.
Aug 05, 2003, 11:43 PM
Thread OP

Getting Close

almost there
Aug 05, 2003, 11:44 PM
Thread OP

And have it!

1916 Wright Model L

Quick Reply