Jan 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
TOM- Your not alone. I have asked around up a the Thousand Islands at the different boat yards and at the museum, but no go for the eleventh boat name. If and when you come across the name don’t forgeet to post it here.

to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2015, 11:19 PM
KC8WPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
All of the mahogany planking of the hull will be done with the 1/2” wide mahogany veneer planking. All of the planks will be back sanded on the butting edge side of the plank. This means that the bottom butting edge of the plank will be sanded off at a slight angle to allow the plank to have a tight joint against the butting plank. (see DWG 1)

I recently started building this kit. I'm using a piece of 1/2" aluminum angle as a guide for back sanding the planks.
May 08, 2015, 05:58 PM
mahoganyfan

Legend Model Boat

CG bob, great idea on how to make the back sanding easier. Are you going to do a build log?
May 10, 2015, 10:56 AM
KC8WPF
I won't be doing a build log. Since I plan on modifying the stock kit to look like a new full size boat based on the Garwood hull, I will post pictures of the changes as I make them.
May 10, 2015, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
BOB- Be advised that if you are going to build one of the new Gar Wood 20’ speedsters, the real boat also added some beam to the boat as compared to the 16’ original. You might get away with adding some distance equally between the frames from the widest beam to the transom.

If you are going to make the 16’ Gar Wood utility, you can get away with changing the deck layout on the speedster. That is how Phil Wood, Gar’s brother, came up with the original speedster, going from the original 16’ utility to the 16’ speedster, by changing the deck layout on the hull.
May 10, 2015, 01:07 PM
KC8WPF
frankg -

Changes will be in the cockpit area; left hand drive; floor mounted shift lever; different windshield; trim pieces; etc. The boat in the picture was built from one of the fiberglass hulls, with a few design changes by the builder.
May 10, 2015, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
BOB- That boat looks to be a DART Speedster, built by the DART motor boat company. The dimensions are almost identical to the Gar Wood except for the upswept deck to the cockpit and the raised comings around the cockpit.

I think they did a write up on the DART Speedster in one of the latest issues of Classic Boating Magazine. The original Darts were mahogany planked like the Gar Wood. You say that this one is fiberglass? I did not know of anyone making replica DART Speedsters.
May 10, 2015, 01:57 PM
KC8WPF
The Dart Speedster is mahogany veneer over a fiberglass hull. I took the picture last year at the Toledo Antique and Classic Boat Show. The boat in the picture is hull #1601 - the first one built by the company.

More pictures from the 2015 show.
Last edited by CG Bob; May 10, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
May 18, 2015, 08:17 PM
mahoganyfan

Modifications

Keep us posted CG bob on your modifications of the Garwood speedster, would you please. I have seen your builds and all your boats look great.
May 18, 2015, 10:45 PM
KC8WPF
I will. I spent an hour today in the Dart Boats Shop today getting some additional measurements and sketches. Took the model and box with me. Now I just have to convert my numbers and sketches into templates for the model.

Quick Reply