Feb 13, 2017, 05:15 PM
Wallop!
If there are any adverse effects then they will be too small to measure. All the other imperfections are much more important so I wouldn't worry about the wire ends.

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2017, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygunn
Out of interest, is it important to round off/blend in sharp/hard edges such as those indicated in my photo below? I seem to remember somewhere where it was said that if there are bits sticking out that are not directly part of the antenna array then it can effect the quality.
Only real electronic test equipment can give objective answers, but anecdotal evidence is valid too. Set up a test to record the performance of the hardware, right at the edge of reception. Then make the mod and see if it helps. Better evidence is if you can test 3 completely different antennas.

For 10 minutes work, if it helps then it's worth the effort. It may save a tragic crash.
Oct 15, 2017, 03:45 PM
Flying low is expensive.

Thank you!

This thread is down and out for the most part, it seems!

TL;DR: Alex's antennas have always been great and I'm grateful for all the sharing he's done!

I'm swinging back to throw some appreciation at Alex for all his pioneering work in this hobby and for sharing (or open sourcing) as much knowledge as possible with the FPV community.

I was 17 in 2011, and had very little pocket money for this hobby. I'd been flying since 2006. It's possible that at that time, Alex was making antennas for sale, but I certainly couldn't afford them! I was a busy browser of this forum and found this thread shortly after it came out. As quickly as I could, I made myself a pair of 1.3ghz cloverleaf antennas out of some junk coax I had laying around! I didn't have calipers, and I remember measuring them with a metal ruler. This was a big deal to me at the time, because everything was expensive and it was taking me forever to piece together an FPV system. It worked OK, but I left the hobby shortly after to get after a college degree.

Coming back to flying after college has been a gift! I found that ragtag pair of cloverleafs I'd made so long ago -- they have a big, ugly blob of hot glue around the center feed and the lobes have rusted from years of humidity. ACK! I've been flying them, though, and the other day set a PR of 7000 feet (1.3 miles) on that pair of antennas and a junk Sunnkysky digital VRx from years ago.

I barely have more money for the hobby these days, but have been filled with joy to get flying from the same place where I left off. THANKS ALEX!
Oct 17, 2017, 08:47 AM
Antequam sciat ego nescibam

All I need is here

I was looking to do a jig for my own antenna. I fell on this thread. Thank for sharing.

I will surely clone your jig design for my ease.
Nov 12, 2017, 01:45 PM
Interesting....

https://www.jcoppens.com/ant/qfh/calc.en.php
Nov 12, 2017, 02:22 PM
Microwave Antenna Theory and Design....1949

download....

https://www.jlab.org/ir/MITSeries/V12.PDF

Antennas from theory..

http://www.westvalleyarc.org/Antenna...20Practice.pdf
Last edited by géry 46; Nov 12, 2017 at 02:33 PM.
Jun 06, 2018, 05:39 AM

Antenna try

Ok. After long time, decided to make some antennas... Its fan to do after all

What do you think guys? Its for 2370mhz...

Calculations for 2420.... After build antenna was ringing on 2320 (that calculator https://oscarliang.com/make-diy-cloverleaf-antenna/ bit off?)!!!... Epoxy ball added 50mhz...

Is it usable or something to think of?
Last edited by FedorComander; Jun 06, 2018 at 06:32 AM.
Jun 06, 2018, 07:02 AM
And another attempt, missed my target frequency, but.... Impressive SWR (at least for me)
Jun 06, 2018, 03:31 PM
Name: IMG_6037.JPG
Views: 219
Size: 263.2 KB
Description:

My attempt at 5.8Ghz. RG178 and 0.8mm hardened copper coated steel wire.

Quick Reply