Build IBCrazy's Cloverleaf - The ultimate circularly polarized aerial antenna! - Page 170 - RC Groups
Mar 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
Climbing the learning curve!
Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for your generosity and dedication to FPV. This thread is a great help

Just made a 5.8ghz CL and wouldn't mind an expert opinion please? I hope the photos are clear enough. Thanks!

- Richie
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
No you cant fly it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Fnord
Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for your generosity and dedication to FPV. This thread is a great help

Just made a 5.8ghz CL and wouldn't mind an expert opinion please? I hope the photos are clear enough. Thanks!

- Richie
I am no expert in any way but they look pretty darn good! good job man. I am still working on my first step and have my cloveres bent nicely but i have gotten frustrated and "took a break" from soldering twice already ahah. I think its time for me to make a jig.
Mar 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Fnord
Hi guys,

- Richie
Richie,

Looks optically good, so seems like you hit proportions angles of attack etc. Shall I start to sound like a broken record? Nope, not this time.

Markus
Mar 24, 2012, 10:09 PM

It's Mine.

I made my Cloverleaf antenna. 2510Mhz and RHCP. I didn't test yet. But I expect longer distance and better video quality than before. I also made cross hair anteena fo VRX.

thans so much Alex and hugo. ^^
Mar 26, 2012, 06:42 AM
Engineer for Christ
^That's really nice work on that Crosshair antenna! Your cloverleaf looks great as well. Let us know how it does.

-Alex
Mar 26, 2012, 09:31 AM
I bought this, i could not resist the price. Is it truly cp, and does this work with the cloverleaf?

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=113

Haven't tested it yet.
Mar 26, 2012, 10:26 AM
Engineer for Christ
It sure looks like a CP antenna. Nice architecture of a phased array. Looks like ~8-11db gain and 60% efficiency depending on the substrate. I'd be curious to see how it really works.

-Alex
Mar 26, 2012, 12:27 PM
Thanx IB,.

Will ground test it tomorrow, with the cloverleaf.
Mar 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Hello guys,

Thanks a lot IBCrazy for this great antenna!
Here is a picture of the one I made for 5.8GHz:

I did some comparative tests using the cloverleaf, the stock antenna and some simple whip antennas and here are the results:

FPV Test #3: Antennas and circular polarization (2 min 0 sec)

I do not think it will surprise anyone here but still I did not expect the difference to be so clear-cut from takeoff to landing! And it is fun to see the videos side by side ( took me some time in my video editor:-) )

Cheers

Franck

[Also posted this in my own thread but also wanted to thank you guys here]
Mar 27, 2012, 04:30 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!

How does an untuned CL measure up against a tuned one?

Very nice, we need a video like that to show our friends who think that the only way to increase range is boosting the vTX power.

I spent a good 1 hr last night running some tests to see how my homemade cloverleaf measure up against a 'professionally tuned' BlueBeam CL from Readymaderc.

Results
BlueBeam cloverleaf(Transmit) + BlueBeam SPW (Receive) = 200m of non-grainy reception, 
BlueBeam cloverleaf(T) + homemade Helical (R)= 300m of non-grainy reception, 
Homemade cloverleaf(T) + homemade helical(R)= 200m of non-grainy reception.
All 3 combinations maxed out to about the same range, apprx 350m. 

(The route I took for the 3 tests, has tall trees and a church's roof blocking the line of sight)

Conclusion
The BlueBeam cloverleaf outperformed mine in terms of clarity. This is particularly evident when the receiving end is using the BlueBeam SPW omni.  And I learnt that my homemade 4-turns helical antenna easily outperformed the tuned SPW antenna. 
My gain in spending the money at Readymaderc, is getting that additional 100m of "non-grainy" video reception when I paired up the BlueBeam cloverleaf with my untuned helical. 
Though it's not a jaw-dropping difference, I'm convinced now that a tuned cloverleaf does make a difference from an untuned one!
Last edited by terencechan; Mar 27, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
Mar 27, 2012, 05:10 AM
ScratchCrasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan
BlueBeam cloverleaf(T) + homemade Helical (R)= 300m of non-grainy reception, 
Homemade cloverleaf(T) + homemade helical(R)= 200m of non-grainy reception.

My gain in spending the money at Readymaderc, is getting that additional 100m of "non-grainy" video reception when I paired up the BlueBeam cloverleaf with my untuned helical. 
Though it's not a jaw-dropping difference, I'm convinced now that a tuned cloverleaf does make a difference from an untuned one!
Thanks for sharing this review. If you think that 100m difference is not jaw-dropping, think about it this way: 200m->300m: this is a 50% increase of range. This is jaw-dropping in my book. For example, with good conditions and LOS, this is translated 4km to 6km, or 10km to 15km...you see what I mean.
Mar 27, 2012, 06:18 AM
Climbing the learning curve!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456
Richie,

Looks optically good, so seems like you hit proportions angles of attack etc. Shall I start to sound like a broken record? Nope, not this time.

Markus
I know you all must get asked alot and you're probably getting sick of answering, however I still appreciate your optical recognition nonetheless
Mar 27, 2012, 01:56 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan
Conclusion
The BlueBeam cloverleaf outperformed mine in terms of clarity. This is particularly evident when the receiving end is using the BlueBeam SPW omni.  And I learnt that my homemade 4-turns helical antenna easily outperformed the tuned SPW antenna. 
Believe it or not, your problem comes form the construction technique, not state of "tune". I would be willing to bet your antenna comes close to 2.0SWR, which is actually really good (~90% efficient).

Where you lose it is that strange things happen at 5.8GHz when it comes to the construction around the feedpoint. Look carefully at how the Blubeam is built. Note the feedpoint precision. Also note the thin wire. Wire thickness is important as well.

Like I said, it's not the tune, it's that you used David Windestahl's construction which only works for 900 and 1.3GHz. Trade secrets, my friend There is a Chinese company that has copied me and mass produced them and even stole my brand name. I'm not going to help them by telling them all the mistakes they've made. I'll just let all their customers complain to them how their product is inferior to the original: VAS BluBeams

That said, follow my video tutorial on the first page and use the same wire I used for the BluBeam. Watch how much of an improvement that makes.

-Alex
Mar 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
RTFM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
Believe it or not, your problem comes form the construction technique, not state of "tune". I would be willing to bet your antenna comes close to 2.0SWR, which is actually really good (~90% efficient).

Where you lose it is that strange things happen at 5.8GHz when it comes to the construction around the feedpoint. Look carefully at how the Blubeam is built. Note the feedpoint precision. Also note the thin wire. Wire thickness is important as well.

Like I said, it's not the tune, it's that you used David Windestahl's construction which only works for 900 and 1.3GHz. Trade secrets, my friend There is a Chinese company that has copied me and mass produced them and even stole my brand name. I'm not going to help them by telling them all the mistakes they've made. I'll just let all their customers complain to them how their product is inferior to the original: VAS BluBeams

That said, follow my video tutorial on the first page and use the same wire I used for the BluBeam. Watch how much of an improvement that makes.

-Alex
Do you think Davids method is bad to make 2.4ghz antennas? with 0.8mm wire
Mar 27, 2012, 02:37 PM
Engineer for Christ
^Yes

Quick Reply