Build IBCrazy's Cloverleaf - The ultimate circularly polarized aerial antenna! - Page 11 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 24, 2011, 02:10 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
- How solid are the cloverleaf-antennas that you make? (e.g accidental bumps)
Should I use hot-glue in the center of the antenna to make it stronger? Or is it - not neccessary? I use hot glue to keep the center of the coaxial cable from breaking. It's a pretty sturdy antenna even when made with .030 wire.

- Also is it good to mount the cloverleaf on top of a tripod, to get it higher up? - Yes. Higher up is better.

- Any good mounting suggestions for a CL in a Skywalker? I will also use a UHF system. If you can mount it underneath the plane, this is the best place. You want the antenna below the batteries if possible.

- Do I need a "F male to SMA female adapter" when using a Sunsky Rx and Tx? Or can I just screw it on? Yes. I have several if you need one.

-Alex
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2011, 02:25 PM
Registered FPVer :)
markus123456's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy;17774946[B
If you can mount it underneath the plane, this is the best place. You want the antenna below the batteries if possible.[/B]
-Alex
Alex, does that mean that the cloverleaf can be mounted upside down without negative impact? Did you experiment here? I would gess there would be an impact but not a big one? Or is it even advantageous to have it upside down?

Markus
Mar 24, 2011, 02:50 PM
Internal Paradigm Consultant
perfeet's Avatar
Hi IBCrazy

Thanks for your answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
- Do I need a "F male to SMA female adapter" when using a Sunsky Rx and Tx? Or can I just screw it on? Yes. I have several if you need one.

-Alex
I would be very glad, because Readymaderc is sold out.

I send you a PM and you can tell me how much I should transfer to you.

Thanks again.
Mar 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
Registered User
yzguy's Avatar
Just now reading all this, but this part confused me a bit:

"Your soldering is fine. The 60 degree angle should be between 45 and 50 degrees. The 120 degree angle should be around 110, but 120 is close enough."

this angle:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3845166

I thought that each positive leg would be right over (when looking down from the top) a Neg (soldered to the ground) leg, with 3 loops, that would make each angle 120 degrees right? (adding up to 360)

So if the angle shown should be 110, then that means that from the top, each lobe overlaps another by 10 degrees, right? (instead of meeting up edge to edge like I thought)

Are each of these statements correct?

All the ground legs (ones soldered to the ground) should be in the same plane
All ground legs should be 120 degrees apart when viewed from the top
All positive legs should be 120 degrees apart when viewed from the top
Each lobe should overlap the next by 10 degrees
The positive legs should all be 45 degrees from the plane that the ground legs are in
Last edited by yzguy; Mar 24, 2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: adding questions...
Mar 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
DrEvil's Avatar
Subscribe

Kai
Mar 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456
Alex, does that mean that the cloverleaf can be mounted upside down without negative impact? Did you experiment here? I would gess there would be an impact but not a big one? Or is it even advantageous to have it upside down?

Markus
You can mount it upside down, no problem. Unlike the turnstile, this does not have a top to bottom rotational shift.

-Alex
Mar 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
Registered FPVer :)
markus123456's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
You can mount it upside down, no problem. Unlike the turnstile, this does not have a top to bottom rotational shift.

-Alex
That's good news as I have sveral planes where mounting it below is much easier. While we are at it, is it advantageous to have the cloverleaf being offset from the fuselage, or -in case of i.e. a foamy - would it matter if the cloverleaf would even touch the fuselage? Do you have experimented here already?

Markus
Mar 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzguy
Are each of these statements correct?

All the ground legs (ones soldered to the ground) should be in the same plane
All ground legs should be 120 degrees apart when viewed from the top
All positive legs should be 120 degrees apart when viewed from the top
Each lobe should overlap the next by 10 degrees
The positive legs should all be 45 degrees from the plane that the ground legs are in
Yes, those statements are correct except for the overlap.

There actually is no overlap, but about a 5 degree gap which causes the odd rejection pattern.
Mar 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456
That's good news as I have sveral planes where mounting it below is much easier. While we are at it, is it advantageous to have the cloverleaf being offset from the fuselage, or -in case of i.e. a foamy - would it matter if the cloverleaf would even touch the fuselage? Do you have experimented here already?

Markus
You can embed the cloverleaf in the foam and it won't hurt anything.
Mar 26, 2011, 04:58 AM
Registered User
Thank you IBCrazy for the great tutorial, just uploaded a short video showing my first finished 5.8 cloverleaf! It was quite hard for me to figure out how to solder the cable to the antenna so I focused on showing some details of this in it. Hope it's a help to anyone want to make his own! I used 0.8mm welding wire coated with copper, seemed the perfect choice. Easy to bent still quite sturdy. Then soldered it to an old rubber duck I tore apart.

Some idea:
As the 5.8GHz is quite small could it be protected by putting it inside a ping pong ball? Maybe even fill the ball with the antenna in it with polyurethane foam to fix it inside? Then paint the ball black and it looks cool

€: UPDATE
Just tested two of them outside. Unfortunately they perform worse than my standard rubber duck. Is 5.8GHz too tricky to build for?

Video @ vimeo
5.8GHz Cloverleaf selfmade FPV antenna details (0 min 16 sec)
Last edited by nosaari; Mar 26, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Mar 26, 2011, 09:58 AM
Registered User
I want to mount a cloverleaf with my Vx under the aircraft, with the Vx flat along the bottom. Would it make a difference in antenna performance if I used a 3 inch coax lead and bend it 90 degrees with a 1-2 inch bend radius, or start out with a right angle pigtail like shown below, with about .5 inch of coax. It seems the right angle approach would have a shorter length of coax, which is good, but I don't know if the 90 right angle bend attenuates it more. (We're talking 5.8 here.)
Mar 26, 2011, 04:29 PM
Registered FPVer :)
markus123456's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by revwarguy
I want to mount a cloverleaf with my Vx under the aircraft, with the Vx flat along the bottom. Would it make a difference in antenna performance if I used a 3 inch coax lead and bend it 90 degrees with a 1-2 inch bend radius, or start out with a right angle pigtail like shown below, with about .5 inch of coax. It seems the right angle approach would have a shorter length of coax, which is good, but I don't know if the 90 right angle bend attenuates it more. (We're talking 5.8 here.)
While the right angle aproach is obviousely more perfect, with such a short cable, the loss in the cable is negletable. So with your "bend" aproach if you keep the radius such that you do not squeeze the cable.

Markus
Mar 26, 2011, 06:57 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaari
Some idea:
As the 5.8GHz is quite small could it be protected by putting it inside a ping pong ball? Maybe even fill the ball with the antenna in it with polyurethane foam to fix it inside? Then paint the ball black and it looks cool
Well, if you're looking for a "radome" to protect your cloverleaf or SPW, 'Tis the Season - with Easter is lots of egg-shaped items are available. Attached is a picture of a tough plastic dome ( actually, half an Easter Egg) that is 4.5 mm in diameter and is available at many stores right now. (In the U.S., I got it from Wal-Mart. 99 cents) There were many sizes as well for lower frequencies.
Mar 26, 2011, 09:27 PM
Registered User
What would be the best combo for me? I'm using diversity right now: i have the standard rubberduck antenna on the plane, and two 1.2ghz RX, one with the standard rubberduck and the other with a 8dbi patch. They works, but i want to improve the omni performance.
As i understand, if you mount two circular polarized antennas on the model and on the second rx, the patch antenna won't pair ... so i should change it with?
Doesn't it makes sense? Does it worth the effort.. or it's better i leave it as is (i really don't like how those rubber antennas performs).

idea: maybe just changing the tx antenna with a inverted Vee?
Mar 26, 2011, 09:33 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaari
: UPDATE
Just tested two of them outside. Unfortunately they perform worse than my standard rubber duck. Is 5.8GHz too tricky to build for?

Video @ vimeo
http://www.vimeo.com/21516552
Performs worse? Are you serious? These things have completely revolutionized the FPV experience for many of us who are flying them.

However at 5.8GHz these are very hard to build. Even with the diffuclty of building I would think you should have had better performance from the cloverleaf than the rubber duckies. Try mixing the antennas - one rubber ducky and one cloverleaf and see if one antenna might be shorted out or something. That would be my first suspicion of trouble.

-Alex


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo Circularly Polarized Helical antenna 7.5 -13 dbi - New: Wave Trap match! IBCrazy FPV Equipment 2438 Sep 18, 2017 09:25 PM
Mini-HowTo IBCrazy's DIY antenna tracker!!! IBCrazy FPV Equipment 463 Apr 27, 2017 05:46 PM
Mini-HowTo Fast Patch - IBCrazy's easy DIY patch antenna IBCrazy FPV Talk 360 Aug 08, 2016 10:44 AM
Build Log IBCrazy's Minion - The ultimate FPV plane IBCrazy FPV Aircraft 151 Apr 19, 2013 11:04 PM
Build Log IBCrazy's homebrew antenna tracker IBCrazy FPV Talk 48 Oct 25, 2012 06:07 PM