Jun 20, 2013, 10:52 AM
it's ok i had to put a little of flaps and change the CG
Last edited by dyl55; Jun 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2013, 08:48 AM

Ordered

So I have placed an order last week. HK will not let you order parts and the kit at the same time My guess is that the kits come from one place completely packed for shipping and the parts come from someplace different even though they both say they are coming from the USA warehouse.

I had ordered the kit first on Friday the 16th of August and then went on line back to HK to order a few parts such as servos and things about an hour later. I received the obligatory acknowledgements for both orders up to and including the one saying the order has been sent to the warehouse for dispatch. This is where the kit order emails end but the parts emails continued and have been shipped as of Monday the 19th. As of today still no word on the kit.

So here I sit waiting for some word on when the kit will be or was shipped.

My present sailplane is a V-ROC V-Tail from Motion RC. So we will see how this scale or semi scale plane does. I'm not looking for a competition flyer so I'm sure it will be fine. I have followed this thread from the start and will make most of the mods. Two servos in the tail and the landing gear fixes. I also like the two different way to install the Elevator for easy removal.
Sep 14, 2013, 05:55 PM

Almost finished

Well I am almost finished and ready to fly. This kit was a bit of a challenge no instructions what so ever but several improvements. The canopy has a double sided sticky tape that works well. I did a mod on the attachment of the servo cables that I got from another site for the ROC which I have. I have the rudder servo mounted in the vertical fin. I got a custom set of decals from Thompson Smith on this blog. I think they make the plane. I also did some painting and the graphic decals to copy two real Ventus gliders.
Last edited by VPChianese; Sep 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Sep 15, 2013, 04:17 PM
Klassische Bilder
Looking good!
Sep 19, 2013, 08:47 AM
Flew the Maiden last night and got about 8 minutes on a 1300 3S some throttle and some non.

Landed without flaps. I may try a set of spoilers on this one instead of flaps.
Sep 20, 2013, 12:58 PM
Feeling the THRALL

Ventus on a Ridge

VP,

Very nice build work! Hope you get lots of good flying with this beauty.

I have posted this video before, but I think you may not have seen it and will enjoy watching my Ventus fly.

Jackson

Ventus at Pradera May-2012 (8 min 33 sec)
Sep 20, 2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks Jackson.

Nice video.
Dec 08, 2013, 10:50 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
Ventus on the bench as a winter project. I've read most of the thread and have begun several of the mods. I'm building this without a motor and installing a HK tow-line release in the motor mount former actuated by a 9g servo. A buddy has a Fun Cub and a Mentor...we want to experiment with towing in spring 2014. Can anyone offer some details on tow line material, length, hooks, swivels, etc. I just read something about a Ping pong ball on the glider end of the tow line!!? Thanks in advance!
Latest blog entry: Real Wings!
Dec 09, 2013, 10:34 AM
Klassische Bilder
@Jackson Stone - such a nice place to slope, lucky you! Nice video too, the v2 Ventus is on my horizon…

Cheers, Thompson
Dec 09, 2013, 10:48 AM
Klassische Bilder
For foam EPO sailplanes in the 2-2,6m range we use contractor line, the yellow braided stuff. Add some telltails to the line near the end. On the EPOs we even get away with using the super stickey 3M velcro on the end of the line and a piece on the lower side of the nose on the sailplane. Release, just pull up! For anything higher in weight, some Lacrosse netting line works well or anything with 100lb test. I guess a ping pong ball could work, but why induce all that drag?

Basically you want to create an aerotow loop about 12-18" long with ends tied together that can be looped into the aerotow release. One end gets stuffed into the release, servo on, the other end gets a heavy duty clipped to the tow line. At aerotow events, there is usually one or two long lines and multiple loops floating around for all the sailplanes waiting for a tug.

Any type of line will work, just make sure that it is easy to put in and comes off your tow release under pressure.

I'm building a 1/4 scale Scheibe-Bergfalke Mü13 E and have a small Multiplex Cularis aerotow piece mounted in the nose. It's the right size for scale looks, but requires a thinner loop than most, the yellow contactor line is a little thick to stuff in doubled up.

Cheers, Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings
Ventus on the bench as a winter project. I've read most of the thread and have begun several of the mods. I'm building this without a motor and installing a HK tow-line release in the motor mount former actuated by a 9g servo. A buddy has a Fun Cub and a Mentor...we want to experiment with towing in spring 2014. Can anyone offer some details on tow line material, length, hooks, swivels, etc. I just read something about a Ping pong ball on the glider end of the tow line!!? Thanks in advance!
Dec 09, 2013, 11:46 AM
Thank you, Thompson. I have the line you mention. I appreciate the detailed response. I may pick your brain further as I get the Ventus off the bench and headed to the field. Stay warm up there!
Dec 09, 2013, 05:48 PM
Feeling the THRALL
Hi Thompson,

Thanks for your note. Pradera Ridge is a nice place to fly. Sounds like you are working on a major project with the Schiebe.

Sincerely,

Jackson
Dec 15, 2013, 09:20 AM
I'm ready to join the fuse halves and want to make sure I understand the plan ( or lack there of!). This is my first sailplane...closest thing I've done is a scratch built Dynaflite Piece O'Cake.

There is an aluminum joiner with a couple of grub screws for the wing supports. It appears that the joiner and screws will be housed in the fuse after the halves are glued.

Has anyone devised a way to make the wings removable for transport? If not what is the preferred fuse halves/wing construction method?

Sorry for what may be obvious questions....noob.

Thanks in advance...Tim
Dec 15, 2013, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings
There is an aluminum joiner with a couple of grub screws for the wing supports. It appears that the joiner and screws will be housed in the fuse after the halves are glued.

Has anyone devised a way to make the wings removable for transport? If not what is the preferred fuse halves/wing construction method?

Sorry for what may be obvious questions....noob.

Thanks in advance...Tim
Tim,

That AL joiner is how you join the wing. So here are a few tips. I replaced the grub screws because I was afraid they would do what grub screws do best and strip. I replaced them with Allen Head bolts and they work great. So the AL joiner is glued into the fuse with the grub screws (or Allen Heads) in the forward direction so they can be tightened or loosened from the front with the canopy removed. Thus you wings are removable.

Look at post #393 for some hints as to a way to make removing the wing a lot easier. Also start from the first post and you will answer a lot of your questions.
Dec 15, 2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks, VPC! I considered the forward facing AL joiner option...good to know others did, too. Regarding the thread, I've read through it once and took several notes. Must have overlooked the one you mention. Thanks for the quick reply!

Quick Reply