Feb 10, 2011, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

23cc fuelie engine question

hi i was woundering if anyone could help me out with my baja it starts and idles fine but when i first hit the gas it bogs down for a few seconds but then comes out of it and takes off thanks Geoff
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2011, 06:26 AM
Its all fun
Recheck your low and high speed needle settings back to standard
Feb 14, 2011, 10:19 AM
Suspended Account
You have an air leak. Richening the low will only hide the problem. It will come back. You have to find the air leak.
Feb 14, 2011, 05:26 PM
Its all fun
And why should it be an air leak rather than wrong needle setting? Without seeing the car, neither of us can know for sure, but the setting is far more likely than an air leak
Feb 17, 2011, 11:05 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
And why should it be an air leak rather than wrong needle setting? Without seeing the car, neither of us can know for sure, but the setting is far more likely than an air leak
I can tell just by what the poster is saying with problem. He never had the problem before. With Factory setting their should't be any bogging. Richening the low will mess up the idle setting and just hide the real problem making it worse over time. With an air leak the idle will be higher trying to suck more fuel in. look at the primer bulb. It should be almost full of fuel. Don't mess with the factory settings. It will only cause headaches. Try and find the leak.
Feb 18, 2011, 07:31 AM
Its all fun
You have put words into his mouth. He didn't say he never had the problem before, He never said what his needle settings were (do you really believe that every Baja leaves the factory set up perfectly, and that he or someone in a shop hasn't adjusted the settings from standard? Is his Baja new or second hand? How can you know?

If it had an air leak, idle would be affected too. I didn't say to mess with the factory settings (there you go again), I said "Recheck your low and high speed needle settings back to standard ".

Sometimes it pays to be cautious about accepting free advice on the internet, as sometimes you get just what you paid for.
Feb 19, 2011, 08:30 PM
RC Madman!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff8230
hi i was woundering if anyone could help me out with my baja it starts and idles fine but when i first hit the gas it bogs down for a few seconds but then comes out of it and takes off thanks Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
Recheck your low and high speed needle settings back to standard
I would agree with Tony. If you had an air leak it would idle really high.
Feb 24, 2011, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
ya i dont think its an air leak either because it idles fine i have adjusted the settings a little and got it better but not where i want it i bought this used so i have no idea what the settings are sopposed to be could you help me out with that also
Feb 24, 2011, 09:24 PM
RC Madman!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff8230
ya i dont think its an air leak either because it idles fine i have adjusted the settings a little and got it better but not where i want it i bought this used so i have no idea what the settings are sopposed to be could you help me out with that also
A good way to start is, put both the high and low screws in all the way, don't overtighten them. Then bring the low screw out 1 1/4 turns and the high 1 1/2 turns out. That's always a good baseline to start from. After you warm up the engine you can fine tune it from there.
Hope this helps.
Mike
Feb 24, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
thanks what gas mixture should i run and also the octane level in the gas i have been running 32:1 and klotz 2 stroke oil whats ur recommdation
Feb 24, 2011, 09:34 PM
RC Madman!!
I run klotz also at about 32:1. If you were using regular 2 stroke oil, I'd keep it at 25:1
Remember, when you're adjusting the carb, use small turns at a time. this way you should be able to tell which way you might need to go with the needle valves.
Feb 26, 2011, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
ok guys i have tried about everything i can think of and its not getting any better i have set the settings back to stock changed the plug i have even replaced the exhaust gasket and the carb gaskets and still runs the same keep in mind that i bought this used and i wounder if the motor is just worn out what do ya think
Feb 26, 2011, 08:48 PM
RC Madman!!
Do you know how many tanks have been run through it Geoff?
Feb 26, 2011, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
i have know idea i know that it has been though he!! and back i got it for dirt cheap and i thought to myself i would just rebuild it as i go i did forget to mention it is a king motors brand 2.0 and i bought all the stuff to convert it to a 5t
Feb 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
RC Madman!!
If it has been used that much, you might want to either freshen up the engine or get one that's ready to drop in. I have a 27.2 O'neills engine in my Baja. It has plenty of power!

Quick Reply