CHDK remote control for Canon camera - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 10, 2011, 11:14 AM
Stuart
Discussion

CHDK remote control for Canon camera

If you want to build a remote control for your Canon camera, here is how you can do it.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8#post17367575

All you need is a PIC 12F683, some cables, and access to a PIC programmer (about 10).
Last edited by srnet; Feb 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
HeliAP'er!
As I said in my PM, thanks so much for doing this I just need to get hold of a PIC programmer, and the PIC chip so I can get started ....

Cheers

David
Feb 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
Stuart
Build the serial lead too, especially if you want to change the program.

Most of the PIC programmers I have seen, even the cheap ones, allow you to program in circuit, so you can make changes and quickly see the effect of the circuit in operation.

You can see the programming header in the picture of my radio equipped interface.
Feb 10, 2011, 09:09 PM
Please be aware that this is reverse engineering so it may not fully work and also can damage your camera. Still, so far the track record of the software is pretty good and if you use it with one of the tested camera you should be fine.

Overall it is a great option once you are aware of the risk, many people have been using it for countless creative uses.

Also, Hogster, this works with compact mostly, not for DSLR, if this is what you are looking for. A list of compatible cameras is available here :
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Alain
Feb 11, 2011, 01:31 AM
Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto
Please be aware that this is reverse engineering so it may not fully work and also can damage your camera
In theory this is possible, but there are no known cases of this happening ?
Feb 11, 2011, 02:28 AM
Quite little I think, mostly from people trying on non tested cameras. As I said this is experimental, but a great option - if you stick with tested cameras.
Feb 11, 2011, 03:09 AM
Stuart
To describe it as 'Experimental' is somewhat OTT, I have been using it for some years with no issues, and as far as I know there have been no known cases of damagge caused by the released versions of the code.

And RC CHDK interfaces are hardly experimental either, you have been been able to buy them commercially for some years also.
Feb 11, 2011, 07:28 AM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Or if you are not comfortable with programming PIC chips you can build one using an old servo innards, Paul Rene has the process well documented.

As always if you want to go down the commercial route Gentles supplies CHDK switches in many flavours.

And David as Alainphoto suggests this is not for DSLR. Gentles does an R/C switch for most Canon DSLR models

Cheers
DaveB...>
Feb 11, 2011, 08:58 AM
Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderGuideMan
As always if you want to go down the commercial route Gentles supplies CHDK switches in many flavours
Indeed they do, two versions, the two channel one allows you to choose up to 6 actions remotely.

I adapted the RC interface I describe above to send 4 commands to the camera from a modified TX, I had 4 push buttons set up on the rudder channel and could choose between 1 shot or a sequence, plus zoom in and zoom outl
Feb 12, 2011, 05:50 AM
One good example of creative use helped by CHDK are near-space launches :

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...-money-budget?

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2877.0.html
Feb 13, 2011, 10:06 AM
HeliAP'er!
Thanks for all the comments I want to use this with my Canon S95 on my tricopter. I have made up another modified servo driver board but I'm wary of using it with the camera, after a previous servo driver board might have been the cause of frying the camera's main circuit board

It seems that PICAXE sell kits for programming this chip:

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/

Time to get some bits on order!

David
Feb 13, 2011, 10:59 AM
Stuart
Are you really sure they sell programmers for PICs ?

A PICAXE and a straight PIC (such as a 12F683) are two different things and are programmed in completly different ways.

About the only way the programmer detailed above could fry a camera is if you connected more than a normal RC supply (5V) to the circuit, which in turn would be connected to the camera, albiet at low current. There is a warning about that in the document.

I have not had a problem using standard 5V BECs or 4xNiMh battery packs, but added the warning in case anyone was using a BEC set to 6V out.
Feb 13, 2011, 06:07 PM
HeliAP'er!
PICAXE chips contain a piece of bootstrap code which allows the chips to be programmed directly using a serial port interface - serial in, serial out, and 0V. To program the chip you just need to arrange the components as per the diagram on page 8 of the manual:

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf

PICAXE sell a 12F683 which comes pre-programmed with the bootstrap code, and you can then program the chip with your own code. Page 14 describes the PICAXE concept in more detail.

I skimmed through most of that manual this afternoon and it looks quite straight forward (even for someone like me who flinches at the thought of programming ) - will be ordering myself a kit and a range of chips tomorrow!

Cheers

David
Feb 14, 2011, 02:46 AM
Stuart
I am aware of how the PICAXEs work.

The bootstrap code allows the PICAXE to download small programs, 40-100 lines for a 12F683, of PICAXE basic and store it in the 256bytes of on board EEPROM. The program I wrote is about 1600bytes and downloads (with a proper PIC programmer) into the same area that the PICAXE uses for the bootstrap code.

You could probably write a CHDK control program for a PICAXE, and I did consider it, but you would need one of the larger PICAXEs.

For the avoidance of doubt, the code I wrote, and its .hex file cannot be downloaded and used in a PICAXE, the PICAXE serial lead 'programmer' will not program a standard blank 12F683 either.
Last edited by srnet; Feb 14, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
Feb 14, 2011, 02:53 PM
HeliAP'er!
Oh That's a bit disheartening ... I've got some parts on order (some 08M and 18M2 chips) so will see what I can do with those ...

Cheers,

David

Quick Reply