Jul 01, 2001, 05:33 PM
This space for rent
Thread OP

Pushing the limits on 1406 2y?

Aveox lists the 1406 2y w/3.7:1 as running up to 16 cells and 51 amps for 722 watts on their web site, anybody actually tried running one at these power levels?

I'm looking at a project running this motor on 14 cells and a 12-8. Using motocalc and the actual constants for my motor (a bit lower than spec.) I get 56.6 amps and 707 watts, 99.2 oz thrust. Full power should only be used for very short bursts, hover at around 90% - 43.5 amps and level flight at 50% - 7.4 amps, less if I can shed some weight.

Any real world experience with these motors at these power levels?

Steven

to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2001, 05:48 PM
100% electric since 1990
You will be fine. The motor is fine at 60 amps for short bursts, and yes, that is from hands-on knowledge.

This motor has been used in europe as a 10-cell F5B primer, using 10 zapped cells, a 3.7 gearbox, and a 15-15 prop. I have also heard of one guy using this motor on 20 cells (!) with the 13-7 cam prop. He was drawing over 100 amps. I doubt the motor lasted long, but it probably was fun.
Jul 01, 2001, 05:53 PM
100% electric since 1990
Oh, now I read your post again. You want to use this motor in a conventional plane with throttle. You will be pushing the thermal limit of this motor, depending on how much time you spend at high throttle settings. Provide plenty of cooling air for the motor and controller. Also, some people have had good luck using R/C car heatsinks (available from tower). These are made for ferrite motors, but aveox's are the same diameter. The heatsinks are aluminum and weigh an ounce or two. If you haven't bought the motor yet, you are better off buying a motor that is 2 ounces heavier rather than putting a heatsink on a smaller motor.

It might be worth a shot. Again, it all depends on how much time you spend at high throttle.

Quick Reply