Geobat- Foamie RC Flying Saucer- With Plans - Page 3 - RC Groups
Feb 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
jclassic1
They look great in the air--very X files.Two flying together is very impressive.

John
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2011, 07:36 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Spike's newest GeoBat
Latest blog entry: My Slow-Boat build log.
Feb 13, 2011, 08:15 PM
Videopilot
That paint fits and looks incredible.
Feb 13, 2011, 08:44 PM
Never rule out the old guys, they got mad skillz sometimes.
Feb 13, 2011, 09:55 PM
Check this baby out......
We call this one the Jack-Bat!
Feb 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
NewFlyer
Pecanpatch, am building one of this Geobat from your plans. Is rudder really required? Are the ailerons effective for turn/rolls?
Feb 14, 2011, 03:40 AM
KenChin,
Much of the footage where you see the plane appear to be hovering at zero ground speed would not be possible without the working rudders.
High alpha flight is way easier with the rudders.

The plane is very light for its size and wing area so the wind will get under it and try to blow you of course. Rudder overcomes this instantly. Ailerons; you have to bank then use elevator to turn and its not as instantaneous.

So if you always fly when it's calm and you just plan on zoomin around at altitude I'd say No, you don't really need them. But if you want it to fly like you have seen in some of the video's...... It wont do it without the rudders.

Rudders are your friend
Feb 14, 2011, 07:03 AM

Sims

People have created GeoBats for flight sims.
Other than these screen dumps I dont have any other info.
If anyone else does please share.

I would love to download one to my FMS sim and see if it flies anywhere near close to what I have experienced.
Feb 14, 2011, 07:12 AM

Edf

Here is a nicely done EDF Geobat from Europe somewhere. I apologize for not remembering who sent us these pics. It was several years ago. Very cool model tho!
Feb 14, 2011, 07:28 AM
Videopilot
Wow and no vert stabs. I guess those rails do the job? It looks more saucer like. The ailerons look awful small to be so far inboard. I wonder where the heck the battery is?
Last edited by Derek_S; Feb 14, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Feb 14, 2011, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S
Wow and not vert stabs. I guess those rails do the job? It looks more saucer like. The ailerons look awful small to be so far inboard. I wonder where the heck the battery is?
Good question....... this guy was way ahead of his time.
Feb 14, 2011, 08:17 AM
Videopilot
It must be solar. I have looked and simply cannot guess. Maybe it is a very flat pack? Or it uses Elirium 115 harvested from Vega-6?

Look carefully at the last 2 pics. It also seems it has anhedral as it moves back to the tail? I would really like to know more. I wonder if the anhedral has made the control surface more effective? According to Wiki anhedral decreases spiral stability, so maybe it would fly in a sporty manner despite teh measly ailerons.
Feb 14, 2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S
It must be solar. I have looked and simply cannot guess. Maybe it is a very flat pack? Or it uses Elirium 115 harvested from Vega-6?

Look carefully at the last 2 pics. It also seems it has anhedral as it moves back to the tail? I would really like to know more. I wonder if the anhedral has made the control surface more effective? According to Wiki anhedral decreases spiral stability, so maybe it would fly in a sporty manner despite teh measly ailerons.
If your thinking full scale Turbine aplication.... the anhedral is the answer to keeping hot exhaust gasses from burning the tail off

Not so much in an EDF
Feb 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
Videopilot
Right, but it also has a reverse effect of dihedral (stability) at least according to wikki. So I am only thinking out loud, but if the GB has inherent stability that makes it sluggish in roll, maybe anhedral in some way reverses this. But I have no real idea.

Of course it is a bit moot if you have rudders. I think rudder and aileron coupling would be more than sufficient on this plane. I am going to retro-fit rudders to mine, I should have in the 1st place.

BTW: KINCHIN! Do the rudders. You want rudders.
Feb 14, 2011, 09:00 AM
Lord.... and who does can that to break up a large draft on the folias of format of A4 ?