Feb 09, 2011, 09:34 PM
Hot glue held together by foam

Indoor Geobat

This isn't a foamie, but I think it's a cool Geobat!https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...02#post8840417
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2011, 06:06 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
This isn't a foamie, but I think it's a cool Geobat!https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...02#post8840417
Thanks for the post's guys..... I had not seen the 24" indoor flyer but I had seen the teenie one.With the engine in the pusher position I think they fly better with less tourque effect and are more asthestically appealing.

My buddy Ho-jazz will sometimes chime in with tips, sugestions and he is qualified to do so after building close to ten Geobats in various mission specific roles
Latest blog entry: Paint shaker!
Feb 11, 2011, 10:41 AM
Videopilot
Mine right before it was maidened. Flies great and can float like a frisbee!

I will post more updated pic tonight.
Feb 11, 2011, 11:37 AM
Taking care of business
Very nice Derek!! We gotta get all of these in the ATL area in one spot and fly em'...Ha! I just noticed your "Fundementals of building construction" book. Did you learn that trick, in the book?!??
Again if you guys need pics of any part of the build, lemme know, Ive got a ton.

Just a few specs for a nicley powered 36" geo-bat.
Scorpion 2215-18 w/ APC 10X4.7
Castle 36amp esc
4 or 5 9gram servos. (One or two for the rudders)
1500-2200 mah 3s lipo
Shoot for 20-25% on CG.
AUW around 22OZ. Maybe even lighter depending on the type of foam and amount of layers used.
But we have flown them with much more weight. Good for PFV gear...
Last edited by Ho-Jazz; Feb 11, 2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: edit.
Feb 11, 2011, 01:24 PM
jclassic1
I have to try this one.I have built and flown most of the round foamies posted on this site with and without holes but this one is different enough to want to give it a go.I have resized and tiled the plans to 26" to suit my foam size and available gear.I might make it a tractor version instead of a pusher.
Keep you up to date on my progress.I have got to order some more depron first so will be a bit of a delay.

John
Last edited by jclassic1; Feb 12, 2011 at 04:31 AM.
Feb 12, 2011, 06:03 AM
Quote:
have to try this one.I have built and flown most of the round foamies posted on this site with and without holes but this one is different enough to want to give it a go.I have re-sized and tiled the plans to 26" to suit my foam size and available gear.I might make it a tractor version instead of a pusher.
It has been my experience that the engine in the tractor position creates a lot of adverse reaction to torque from the engine. With it mounted more in the center as a pusher, there is hardly any torque effect.

You'll also be amazed at how may props you will break with the engine on the nose. I hit a Pecan tree with mine once and crushed the nose. I just cut out the affected area and replaced the foam and she was good as new the next day.

All that being said, it will probably still wow and amaze you even with the engine on the nose, Have fun with whatever you decide
Feb 12, 2011, 06:55 AM
jclassic1
I have been sorting out my bits and have found a Keda KDA A22-15M 20A 1050Kv motor and a 3 cell 1800Mah lipo.The motor weighs 2.5 ozs and the lipo weighs 6 ozs.The motor is linked to a 30A speed controller.
Is this gear suitable for the 36" Geo-Bat.
The motor on a 8X4 prop gives 24 ozs of thrust and on a 10X5 gives 37 ozs of thrust.It would be nice to find a home for these parts and maybe the 36" Geo would be suitable.

John
Feb 12, 2011, 07:13 AM
John,
I wish I knew the answer. I have always been a e-flight geek. I have used e-flight 370's, 400's and 450's with great success on this plane. Maybe someone else can answer for you.

Note: Build pics added at the first page
Feb 12, 2011, 07:28 AM
jclassic1
Good build pictures and it does help with the layout of parts.One thing I have noticed with most pusher planes is the need for most of the equipment to go well forward including the battery.If I go with the tractor set-up I should have a bit more choice where the gear goes.The broken prop problem will always be there but with a floater like this I should be able to minimize the problem.

John
Feb 12, 2011, 07:32 AM
Videopilot
For me the parts placed well, the battery had to go all the way forward, but I purposely put the elevator servo in the far rear to create ballast for the video gear that might go on it in the future.
Feb 12, 2011, 08:49 AM
Taking care of business
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclassic1
I have been sorting out my bits and have found a Keda KDA A22-15M 20A 1050Kv motor and a 3 cell 1800Mah lipo.The motor weighs 2.5 ozs and the lipo weighs 6 ozs.The motor is linked to a 30A speed controller.
Is this gear suitable for the 36" Geo-Bat.
The motor on a 8X4 prop gives 24 ozs of thrust and on a 10X5 gives 37 ozs of thrust.It would be nice to find a home for these parts and maybe the 36" Geo would be suitable.

John
Sounds like a good motor for this. I would shoot for the 10" prop. Nice build pics Marko!!
Feb 12, 2011, 10:31 AM
can you put up a drawing for servo placement and what control surfaces do what, especially the surfaces inside the ring?
thanks for starting this thread - I have been following your pecan patch thread for a while now to see what you and others have been doing with geobats. I must build one soon.
Feb 12, 2011, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn
can you put up a drawing for servo placement and what control surfaces do what, especially the surfaces inside the ring?
thanks for starting this thread I must build one soon.
Done! I added pics but even more useful 2 videos!
Feb 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
I am a relatively new RC flyer, about 2 or 2 1/2 years. Mark (PecanPatch) gave me some guidance when I built a Geobat for myself. I now have about ten aiprplanes flying, nitro and electric. The Geobat is still one of my favorites and I fly it all the time. Three nights ago as a matter of fact with LED lights on. Anyone interested in building their own aircraft and want a good flying conversation piece, the Geobat is it. It's a great plane!
Feb 13, 2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the plug RevoDave....
Here is a video (shot by Randy Pollard) of me flying your GeoBat in some loose formation with Hojazz's GeoBat

GeoBat Formation Flying (0 min 28 sec)