Dec 11, 2017, 06:59 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucknut
That's a great idea. Just wondering if you ever got around to doing that.
I wish someone would do it!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2017, 09:14 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Would love to figure out a bat with an EPP soul to make it more crash ignoring.
That would call for sparring and reinforcing in weird ways tho. Mark can it be done?
Dec 15, 2017, 09:28 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
That would call for sparring and reinforcing in weird ways tho. Mark can it be done?
You can also try coro too, a little bit heavier but defently crash resistant.
Dec 16, 2017, 06:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
I am not a EPP guy........... although I picked up a well worn Crack laser........ that thing is awesome!
Dec 16, 2017, 07:04 AM
Just thought I'd give an update on my Typhoon bat. It flew but not in the exciting way I wanted. Even tho it had lots of pull in my hand once it was in the air that split ducting cost alot of the power it should have had. And I'm guess making the diamond shaped symetrical top and bottom it lost the lift potential. Anyways, I'm in the process of patching up the hole and mounting the edf on top of the plate and making the bottom flat, should be finished and be able to test it by new years I hope. It's a shame too, I did like how it looked. But I learned some things by trial and error and sometimes you have to sacrifice stye for function.
Feb 13, 2018, 09:02 PM

vtol geobat

still working on it. Actually after several years, I finally just built another geobat. waiting for decent weather to fly it.
Used my hot foam cutter to make it and of course cut out a stack of geobats at the same time. Second one will be
a vtol attemp. I made some custom motor mounts that mount directly to servos. using Kk2 boards and I will probably
use openaero for flight control.
May 11, 2018, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
FYI

http://www.aerobataviation.com/home
May 03, 2020, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch
Looks cool Dan, I like it..... I look forward to hearing a Pi-rep....... (pilot report)
So it's been a while since I built and flew this machine, I still got her. Life got in the way. And the UK can have some wet windy summers.

I did fly her a few times and she was very tame. Flew really slow or fast depending on throttle. I really liked the ability to do really slow tight banked circles like she was on a roller coaster. Was so easy to just cruise around using rudder and a bit of reverse aileron to do nice flat turns which with the circular shape makes for a nice view. she is a bit heavy but once in the air you don't notice this, I assume this is from the extra lift my fuselage is creating and the minimal drag
i was going for.

The landings were incredible, I can cut the throttle a long way out and she just floats close to the ground till she lands.

The stability is what got me. I had wanted to put a 3 axis stabilized receiver in but it wasn't needed.
May 03, 2020, 08:43 AM
My fuse also has a similar airfoil shape( works great for hiding the battery and electrics), and with all the extra weight from the lights and hot glue it also just floats in on landings, could be something to the foil design aiding it. But yeah, it's a blast to fly. Almost time for me to do another, its starting to show its wear and tear from my average flying skills.
Jun 30, 2020, 11:32 AM

3d printing

OK, so I'm trying to model one small nanogeobat

pictures included. I'm stressed because of CG which must be at 25 % from the front if I understood well.

In my design, there is a lot of weight in the "nose".

Besides, I wonder what should be the angle of the motor in that configuration ?

Any idea ?

Note : I will use depron for the elevator/roll stuff at the rear.
Jul 03, 2020, 06:00 PM
Making any micro sized plane out of (heavy) plastic versus (light) foam will most likely not fly well. It might be possible with some planes like the geobat but you probably will have to put on a good sized (heavier) motor just to keep it in the air.
When you add the tail fins and control surfaces some of that frontal weight will be neglected with the additional weight towards the rear.
I'm looking at the sizes of the servo cutouts and wondering just what size they are....more weight.
Suggestions: make it a 3d/foam hybrid. Plastic on the bottom, foam top. Definitely smaller servos and I " think" the 90 degree motor mount will be fine...no up or down angle needed.
Hopefully you'll get it done and it does fly well, post the results either way.

Quick Reply