Geobat- Foamie RC Flying Saucer- With Plans - Page 125 - RC Groups
Jul 22, 2017, 09:42 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Cut out and started my Typhoon bat based on Duncan's drawing. Was going to use an edf, but due to technical problems I may have to use a prop motor instead.
The pieces are just pinned together for test fitting, lots of sanding to do first before gluing.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2017, 09:14 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
I actually sketched one with a faceted rear section.... i am digging this.... keep up the good work..
We are watching
Latest blog entry: My Slow-Boat build log.
Jul 23, 2017, 10:30 AM
The biggest problem I think I'll have is all those sharp inside corners splitting on harsh landings. Maybe smearing a dab of hot glue in the corners will help.
Made a quickie smaller one and it flies great, taking my time with this one because I want it to last. Got all the LE and TE sanded down and all the spars are in place, now to put the pieces together.
Jul 23, 2017, 12:34 PM
Retired CAD guy
Or or or ...

wait for it .... :>}}}}

Don't crash land ....snic snic snic
Jul 23, 2017, 01:35 PM
No, I said harsh landings, There's a difference. Anyways, I don't crash land, I just crash.
Jul 23, 2017, 01:38 PM
Timbo, is that DTFB?
Jul 23, 2017, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
Timbo, is that DTFB?
No, even tho dtf is my foam of choice I purchased some foam from HK awhile back because of the price. I got them in 10mm , 5mm, and 2.5 or is it 3 mm thickness. The body and booms are 10mm and the canopy plates 5mm. Half of the plane will fit on one sheet of dtf (510 mm or 29 in)and on the HK foam almost all the plane will fit. I had to trim about a cm off the front and rear. The HK foam sands like sh** but it's workable.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jul 23, 2017 at 05:40 PM.
Jul 23, 2017, 05:20 PM
Here's how the front looks...I'm still trying to figure out how to make it look better. I originally was going place an edf in there with the canopy plates sitting on top of it. I liked the idea of symetrical top and bottom with the edf but may take off the bottom pieces for prop driven.
Oh BTW here's the pdf if anyone wants it.....not perfect, some minor trimming may be needed.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jul 23, 2017 at 05:48 PM.
Jul 23, 2017, 05:39 PM
Oh and here's the smaller 20 incher that I did first. The canopy was done a little differently on this. Surprisingly it flew well in 10 mph+ winds.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jul 23, 2017 at 05:50 PM.
Jul 24, 2017, 06:48 AM
Good news, I found another edf unit for a reasonable price and with good reviews on it online. Submitted a budget request to the head of the financial department and she ok it. Now I can get rid of all that cross bracing that I don't like and put in a thrust tube in the center of the canopy section for the look I was going for. Now the hardest part.....waiting for the package to arrive, good thing I have several builds going while I wait.
Jul 31, 2017, 07:36 PM
Christmas in July, edf came in today. Now to figure out how to put it in the Geo.
Aug 05, 2017, 08:45 PM
Now the fun part, mounting the motor. I want to protect the edf unit from front nose dirt dives and I want to mount it in the center and not on top of the body. I know this will not give me max efficiency on the thrust, but it should still be plenty enough to have fun.
Aug 12, 2017, 11:32 AM
If I quit trying to build 3- 5 different planes at one time I might get this done.
Aug 14, 2017, 05:58 PM
Discovered something about edf motors. Even tho I didn't make a true tube because I didn't want to cut the the spar and body, it still makes a big difference using even a split tube than none at all. Gained at least doubled if not more power, wished I tested the difference on the scale before I did the tube. I know I'm still not getting the most out of the edf, but it's plenty for me, it's still going be a quick geo.