Feb 10, 2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah buddy! RET WWI!
Subscribed for sure!
Not to sure I would want a smaller motor. Has to be able to carry some art!
I have a few lozenge patterns I want want to try on an Albatros!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2011, 09:12 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
I've been looking at planes with pretty much same sized wings here lately. For example, the SPAD at 300 sq.in. has just under 29" wing span. That's why I think the 250-300sq.in. range is a good idea. It will help get these bipes with different sized upper and lower wings to the right size/weight.
Feb 10, 2011, 09:14 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
That is interesting. My Albatros is 29" Span and it is only 230" or so.... It does have a pretty small lower wing though.
Dennis,

I was giving some thought to your Albatross. She would be a beautiful VLF job. I can imagine the engine protruding from the center lamination, and then the outer and intermediate lams sanded out to an oval cross section. It would look awesome. Think about it.

Ken
Feb 10, 2011, 09:17 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Heres another one not modeled often. The aviatik D1

Ken
Feb 10, 2011, 09:23 PM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
[..]
Last edited by gigelus2k3; Feb 13, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Feb 10, 2011, 09:53 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Dennis,

I was giving some thought to your Albatross. She would be a beautiful VLF job. I can imagine the engine protruding from the center lamination, and then the outer and intermediate lams sanded out to an oval cross section. It would look awesome. Think about it.

Ken
While i agree that the Albatros would looks great as a VLF there are 2 problems i have with it.

#1 Is i think there is going to be issues with the planes being tail heavy. Maybe not but I have had bad luck with the VLF planes.

#2 and much more importantly is that means several more complicated pieces of foam to cut. Now if I had a friend cnc cutting the kit for me i wouldn't be worried about it. But I know that my cnc cutting friend is already busy with a ton of other planes. So since i am cutting this by hand i am going to hang back on the VLF.

I will definitely send along the cad data though. Give you a big head start on making a VLF version. I did put the motor in the design sketch. I just didn't extrude that part out. Very easy to turn it back on.
Feb 10, 2011, 11:35 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.

Albatros DV Plans

Hi Peeps!

Ok i finished up the prints for the Albatros non-VLF version.

Haven't built it but pretty sure i got everything except the landing gear.

Putting a 22" long 4mm Carbon Tube in the leading edge of the lower wing.

I also made this one a 4 channel version. I will definitely use them.

The real plane doesn't have any dihedral so I don't think it will turn properly with just a rudder. SO you would have to add some dihedral somewhere to go with just rudder.

Not sure when i will get a chance to build the thing though.
Feb 11, 2011, 12:52 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Nice Albatross! Well done.
Last edited by haiduk; Feb 11, 2011 at 01:18 AM.
Feb 11, 2011, 08:06 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Here's a preview of what I've got done on the SPAD now. It's pretty tough fitting the gear for these little planes. Had to tweak the lines here and there. This one has the battery tucked in under the motor at the chin. Not a whole lot else I can do to get it close to balance with such a short nose. Added dihedral to get this to handle well with R/E/T control.

The wing area on this one is right at 250 sq.in. Pretty small plane at 26 1/4" wing span, but it should fly well. Is it too small? I have a little room left on the sheet of foam to scale it up a bit if it needs it. Think we should get one flying at this size with the blue wonder and see how she does.

I still have more tweaking to do on the drawings, but I should have this one ready to post plans for testing this afternoon.

-duk
Last edited by haiduk; Feb 11, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Feb 11, 2011, 12:23 PM
Great thread Ken.

I have done a couple of WW2 fighters in the same theme, but slightly more porky!!!

Not WW1, but a lovely 'bipe'..........in my opinion!

The Fiat CR 32, I rather fancy! so it looks like a trip to the copy shop.

Ian
Feb 11, 2011, 02:45 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduk
Here's a preview of what I've got done on the SPAD now. It's pretty tough fitting the gear for these little planes. Had to tweak the lines here and there. This one has the battery tucked in under the motor at the chin. Not a whole lot else I can do to get it close to balance with such a short nose. Added dihedral to get this to handle well with R/E/T control.

The wing area on this one is right at 250 sq.in. Pretty small plane at 26 1/4" wing span, but it should fly well. Is it too small? I have a little room left on the sheet of foam to scale it up a bit if it needs it. Think we should get one flying at this size with the blue wonder and see how she does.

I still have more tweaking to do on the drawings, but I should have this one ready to post plans for testing this afternoon.

-duk
Looks great Duk,

Could you send me files for that one also? Probably need to think about the battery slot a bit. Will need a bit more beef around the outside to keep from loosing it I think.

Welcome Farnboro Flyer! A lurker emerges!

Ken
Feb 11, 2011, 03:17 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Quote:
Looks great Duk,

Could you send me files for that one also? Probably need to think about the battery slot a bit. Will need a bit more beef around the outside to keep from loosing it I think.

Welcome Farnboro Flyer! A lurker emerges!

Ken
Just sent you the DXF as it is so far. Parts fit, but I'm also concerned with the battery area. That's the main reason I haven't posted it yet. I've already stretched the nose half an inch or so. The battery is very close to the landing gear. Landing gear is butted up against the leading edge of the lower wing. I tried moving the motor up a bit, but it looks odd on this plane. I could go back to a more conventional method of mounting the battery, but the balance will be shifted back quite a bit and will probably have to deal with adding nose weights. I also tried exaggerating the vertical lines of the fuselage (stretched up/down). There's more meat around the battery, but, again, doesn't look right.

Upping the physical size of the whole plane (to around 265sqin or so) helps and I think I can still get it to fit on a single sheet. I can get the battery to fit better and seems to be a more appropriate size. Same reason I posted the SE5a at 262sq.inches, so the gear would fit.

Maybe you've got an idea there?
-duk

EDIT: Also, it looks like the cabane struts are too close together at the upper wing. I'll address that too.
Last edited by haiduk; Feb 11, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Feb 11, 2011, 05:57 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduk
Just sent you the DXF as it is so far. Parts fit, but I'm also concerned with the battery area. That's the main reason I haven't posted it yet. I've already stretched the nose half an inch or so. The battery is very close to the landing gear. Landing gear is butted up against the leading edge of the lower wing. I tried moving the motor up a bit, but it looks odd on this plane. I could go back to a more conventional method of mounting the battery, but the balance will be shifted back quite a bit and will probably have to deal with adding nose weights. I also tried exaggerating the vertical lines of the fuselage (stretched up/down). There's more meat around the battery, but, again, doesn't look right.

Upping the physical size of the whole plane (to around 265sqin or so) helps and I think I can still get it to fit on a single sheet. I can get the battery to fit better and seems to be a more appropriate size. Same reason I posted the SE5a at 262sq.inches, so the gear would fit.

Maybe you've got an idea there?
-duk

EDIT: Also, it looks like the cabane struts are too close together at the upper wing. I'll address that too.
What I plan on doing is bringing your Spad design in with mine and see what might develop. Had another idea about the tail end of these airplanes. Would like to look at keeping the vertical stab attached to the rudder much as I do with the ailerons and elevators to the wings and h. stab. I like it being part of the center lamination, but means seperating the rudder to install (which is not a bad thing). Then I thought about seperating the fuselage far enough forward to be covered by the intermediate laminations, with a forward facing slot to allow insertion of the h. stab assy. Then slide this into the fuselage between the intermediate fuse lams, into there h stab slot. Just thinking out loud.

BTW, your package is on it way, UPS ground. They say it will be there by Thursday.

Ken
Feb 11, 2011, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruchlandungen
Yeah buddy! RET WWI!
Subscribed for sure!
Not to sure I would want a smaller motor. Has to be able to carry some art!
I have a few lozenge patterns I want want to try on an Albatros!
We did some lozenge patterns for gpw's Simple Fokker here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=646

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Feb 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Quote:
What I plan on doing is bringing your Spad design in with mine and see what might develop. Had another idea about the tail end of these airplanes. Would like to look at keeping the vertical stab attached to the rudder much as I do with the ailerons and elevators to the wings and h. stab. I like it being part of the center lamination, but means seperating the rudder to install (which is not a bad thing). Then I thought about seperating the fuselage far enough forward to be covered by the intermediate laminations, with a forward facing slot to allow insertion of the h. stab assy. Then slide this into the fuselage between the intermediate fuse lams, into there h stab slot. Just thinking out loud.

BTW, your package is on it way, UPS ground. They say it will be there by Thursday.

Ken
Great, that will give me a chance to see how that SE5a goes together. Ken, if you want to make changes to that design, go for it. As it is now, it looks like all the parts fit nicely. Need to figure out something better to do with the battery position though.

The SPAD scaled to 300 would fit on a single sheet without the KF panels. At that size the electronics layout almost becomes a non-issue. I'll wait to post what I have. Wanna see what you have in mind. In the meantime, I'll start drawing up another. Been eyeballing the Sopwith Pup, and had already started on a VLF Albatross. We do need some German planes too.

EDIT: Nope, at 300 sq. in. it definitely does not fit on a single sheet, but I like the size much better and the gear easily fits with the battery in a more natural position.

-duk
Last edited by haiduk; Feb 12, 2011 at 04:57 AM.

Quick Reply