This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 11, 2013, 02:22 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe
Maybe he's DysleXic?

Hey! Get real. Money spent on the hobby is always money well spent. Just ask anyone at the flying field, before they crash.
You are confused. It's Lexdicsic.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2013, 02:36 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Hobby shop doesn't have CF sheets. So, I get the JOY of ordering $15 worth from HK, paying $15 shipping and waiting two weeks just so that I can mount a switch. Ugh!
Nov 11, 2013, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff
Why do you have two DX8's? Why would you NEED two DX8's?
Buddy box, teaching Susan how to crash, I mean fly. Then when she's ready to solo she'll have her own TX. Also as a backup in case I have to send one in for repair. I chose the second DX8 instead of a "lower" model because I can easily transfer models between the two.
Nov 11, 2013, 04:13 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk
Buddy box, teaching Susan how to crash, I mean fly. Then when she's ready to solo she'll have her own TX. Also as a backup in case I have to send one in for repair. I chose the second DX8 instead of a "lower" model because I can easily transfer models between the two.
That names sense. Just curious.
Nov 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
That names sense. Just curious.
Makes sense. stupid auto-spell
Nov 11, 2013, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Hobby shop doesn't have CF sheets. So, I get the JOY of ordering $15 worth from HK, paying $15 shipping and waiting two weeks just so that I can mount a switch. Ugh!
CF for a switch mount? What's wrong with fiberglass sheet? After cutting and drilling it, run CA into the edges and t will hold up better than CF. And if you're lucky, real lucky, I bet you might find some laying around somewhere on Cataba Island. For cheap, and no waiting. Maybe.
Nov 11, 2013, 10:11 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP

CF & News

Quote:
CF for a switch mount? What's wrong with fiberglass sheet? After cutting and drilling it, run CA into the edges and t will hold up better than CF. And if you're lucky, real lucky, I bet you might find some laying around somewhere on Cataba Island. For cheap, and no waiting. Maybe.
Well, being a novice and only ever flying helis, I don't know about such things as fiberglass sheets. I'm open to any such knowledge! I tried some composite plastic that I have at the shop but, 2.5mm is too thick.

CF Choice: What I want to do is to cover an open area in the left frame rail of my 600. It is an unused left-side servo mount opening and already has a nice plastic bezel with screw holes from the factory. Once I install the CF filler-panel, I will mount the switch into that filler-panel. I thought CF would be nice because it matches the frame and would appear less noticeable. The CF is available in 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, and 2.5mm thicknesses.

As it turns out, I was planning to order some batteries that I need anyway. The batteries are the only thing left on my "need to buy" list this winter so, I decided to go ahead and get them now. I added the sheet of CF to the order so that I only have one shipping cost.

Field News: Another RC Club was formed tonight just a couple of miles from my current club. I figured that I'd join it because I know so many of the guys. However, I had no intentions of volunteering for anything. Now, appears that I'm Secr/Treas of two RC clubs and 2nd man on the Airshow committee. What was I thinking?

DX9 News: I opened the box and pulled out the new TX. It is much heavier than a DX8 for sure! I toggled the additional switches and powered it up just to see if it worked.

I like the extra switches because they are simply A,B,C,D,E,F,G.. each with three setting positions. You can assign whatever you want to any switch because they are not already dedicated i.e. Ail, Elev, Rudd, etcetera. I like that because my fingers had trouble reaching the pre-dedicated switches on the DX8. I'll be able to move my most used settings to the closest switches. I also scrolled through the menu and stopped at the Telemetry sub-menu. Boy, there's a lot of choices in there!

I was advised by another DX9 owner to immediately "pop the SD card into my laptop, register the unit online, then download the latest firmware." Apparently, the built-in Vocabulary file is sparse compared to the expanded vocabulary within the download file, including your choice of different voices.

After just two or three minutes of fiddling, I packed away the DX9 for now. I won't mess with it again until I get the 600 rebuilt mechanically. I'll get it back out when it's time to setup the servos, program the electronics, and get her levelled up.
Nov 11, 2013, 10:30 PM
I use fiberglass sheet and CA to repair/strengthen my heli canopy. Very light and strong material.
Nov 12, 2013, 09:14 AM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl
I use fiberglass sheet and CA to repair/strengthen my heli canopy. Very light and strong material.
Is fiberglass sheet a local hardware store item?
Nov 12, 2013, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Yes. They are used to repair car cracked/rusted hood or panel.
Nov 12, 2013, 10:44 AM
Quote:
It may be. But, you should be knee deep in it. It's used in laminated recreational boat decks, hatches, removable panels, dock boxes, etc. Find a yard wreck that has panels laminated from the sheet thicknesses closest to what you need and rip out the sheet you want. Then, sand the unfinished side to the finished thickness and you have your switch plate material.
(Tip: Don't do this to your customers boats.)
Nov 12, 2013, 10:54 AM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl
Yes. They are used to repair car cracked/rusted hood or panel.
Thanks Don & GT!! I'll keep that in mind. I do have several canopies that could be patched up as well.
Nov 12, 2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Thanks Don & GT!! I'll keep that in mind. I do have several canopies that could be patched up as well.
Just to clarify terms here, fiberglass cloth is fiberglass threads, or strands, woven into a flexible cloth. Fiberglass sheet is that cloth, or several layers, that has been impregnated with either epoxy or fiberglass resin. In a flat shape it's refered to as either fiberglass or epoxy sheet. Although, its generic name is fiberglass sheet.
Nov 12, 2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Just to clarify terms here, fiberglass cloth is fiberglass threads, or strands, woven into a flexible cloth. Fiberglass sheet is that cloth, or several layers, that has been impregnated with either epoxy or fiberglass resin. In a flat shape it's refered to as either fiberglass or epoxy sheet. Although, its generic name is fiberglass sheet.
Hehe, I thought HeliGriff would be smart enough to figure it out by himself.
Nov 12, 2013, 01:38 PM
Shine On !
G-10! Poor Mans Carbon Fiber ! Its Basically Circuit Board Material.

Quick Reply