This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 23, 2019, 05:38 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP

Updated Trekker canopy mounts

I've updated the Quick UK magnetic canopy mounts for the front end. The old ones were straight and didn't line-up well. These are angled and fit perfectly. I use RCBooya locking mounts on the rear. The same setup is used on my 600 & 700 too. I'll be putting angled mounts on the 700 as well.

Since the decline of helicopter sales, due to drones, these parts are getting hard to find. Quick UK has been out of stock of black or silver mounts for a year. I believe they are simply selling off the red and blue ones until they are gone and plan to be done with them all together.

The RC Booya mounts have also been out of stock in the 25mm to 27mm size for a year. I'm on a search for them.
Last edited by HeliGriff; Feb 23, 2019 at 08:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2019, 12:12 PM
Nice work!
This China/US pie fight is causing everyone to have parts problems. The number of helicopter flyers at our field has gone down noticeably because of that. But, I don't think drones have had any influence.
There are a few of us who saw the end of parts supplies coming to an end for our older heli's and loaded up on those unique parts, such as frames/tail booms/masts. Since we don't fly them constantly you can still see a 20 year old Align 60 size and my E Razor 450 putting around at our float flys. It ain't 3D, but it's still fun.
Mar 05, 2019, 07:02 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe
Nice work!
This China/US pie fight is causing everyone to have parts problems...
Interesting angle. I have also noticed that parts are cheaper now than I had paid 5 years ago for the same part. It is difficult to keep a heli "original", as parts are redesigned, recolored, or discontinued altogether. I'm just tickled that you and I are still flying! It's a hobby that surely lasts a lifetime ...until the Gov't hoses it up! 😁
Mar 05, 2019, 07:09 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP

Waiting for Spring...

The Trekker patiently awaits the chance to get outside and fly! This morning, it was 7F *sigh*
Mar 05, 2019, 10:12 PM
I here you. It was 5 here. Not much we can do until the water gets soft.
Mar 06, 2019, 03:09 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP

Magic 6.5

Quote:
I here you. It was 5 here. Not much we can do until the water gets soft.
Not to change the subject.. do you know anyone who flys mid-stick set to 6.5 (liftoff) in normal flight mode verses 0?
Mar 06, 2019, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff
Not to change the subject.. do you know anyone who flys mid-stick set to 6.5 (liftoff) in normal flight mode verses 0?
No I don't. What's the purpose of using 6.5?
Mar 07, 2019, 07:52 AM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
No I don't. What's the purpose of using 6.5?
Nothing other than the heli lifts off the ground at mid stick and you'd have more "stick motion". That may not be a good thing. My thought is that perhaps it would smooth-out altitude changes to be less abrupt. I believe Karsen mentioned a flyer who used this pitch curve a few years ago.
Mar 07, 2019, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff
Nothing other than the heli lifts off the ground at mid stick and you'd have more "stick motion". That may not be a good thing. My thought is that perhaps it would smooth-out altitude changes to be less abrupt. I believe Karsen mentioned a flyer who used this pitch curve a few years ago.
Now I understand. I tried that on my ER540 last year and got it to lift off at about 4 with the throtle stick centered. Altitude changes were smoother but throttle was soft. The ER450 motor doesn't have enough torque to really make the needed power adjustments. I suppose torque can be set to compensate for that with a stronger motor. My suggestion would be to try it. But, take it easy until you learn how the throttle curve needs to be set so you don't find yourself behind the power curve in a steep descent.
Mar 07, 2019, 01:23 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
Now I understand. I tried that on my ER540 last year and got it to lift off at...
Good advice, thank you. Because I run fixed headspeeds (governed), the torque issue may not be a factor. I'll try it sometime when I have my shovel in the car.
Jun 05, 2019, 07:00 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP

Fire!

Everyone thought I had gone to extremes when setting up my charging station. But, I'm glad that I surfaced the the table in concrete, put in a 240V shutoff switch, had a smoke detector above the station, and a fire extinguisher right by the door. A 12S 5000mah battery set went up in flames tonight while doing a routine discharge and recharge. Thank fully, I had planned ahead for this moment in the event a fire occurred. When I entered the room, it was filled with smoke. Fortunately, I knew just what to do. Now, time to do damage assessment.
Last edited by HeliGriff; Jun 06, 2019 at 06:44 AM.
Jun 06, 2019, 12:36 PM
Ouch!

Is that grey residue from the fire or the extinguisher?
Jun 06, 2019, 02:13 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
Ouch!

Is that grey residue from the fire or the extinguisher?
It is from the extinguisher. No harm done other than powder everywhere! I'm glad that I was prepared for this. I had to get the flames down in order to safely reach the 240V shut off switch. The batteries kept re-igniting several times. It took several shots to put it out. The balance and volt leads melted away.

So, do you think the Charger will have internal damage?
Jun 06, 2019, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=HeliGriff;42029027
So, do you think the Charger will have internal damage?[/QUOTE]

I'd consider it suspect until checking it out. i've had chargers stop working properly after minor overloads.
I've seen lipo fires at the flying field that just would not go out. That window behind your chargers looks like a good Plan A. Open it and shove everything outside. Then deal with the fire.
Jun 06, 2019, 02:59 PM
my mental eXcape!
Thread OP
Quote:
...That window behind your chargers looks like a good Plan A. Open it and shove everything outside. Then deal with the fire.
😁 That's an option!

Quick Reply