Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 25, 2012, 07:35 AM
Registered User
Pyrofan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
on the plans it says a max of 1.75" back

where are the pictures of your plane anyway?
I'll get some pics up later
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2012, 08:18 AM
Registered User
Pyrofan's Avatar
the plane, Hope the pics show up right.
Mar 25, 2012, 11:17 AM
Registered User
chris1379's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofan View Post
the plane, Hope the pics show up right.
Looks good but I see one thing that concerns me. Your control horns are pretty far back on the ailerons. The holes in the horns should be directly over the hinge line. Check your aileron movement to see if they have equal up and down throws. It's OK or even desirable to have more up than down (differential) but not the other way. Don't tear up the foam yet to move them just check them.

Also, I would add some hinge tape inboard of the horns for a little more support. As a personal preference, I don't put a solid strip of tape on the beveled side of a hinge because I always get wrinkles. I use 1/2" strips of strapping tape on both sides and a single strip on the flat side.
Mar 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
Registered User
Pyrofan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
Looks good but I see one thing that concerns me. Your control horns are pretty far back on the ailerons. The holes in the horns should be directly over the hinge line. Check your aileron movement to see if they have equal up and down throws. It's OK or even desirable to have more up than down (differential) but not the other way. Don't tear up the foam yet to move them just check them.

Also, I would add some hinge tape inboard of the horns for a little more support. As a personal preference, I don't put a solid strip of tape on the beveled side of a hinge because I always get wrinkles. I use 1/2" strips of strapping tape on both sides and a single strip on the flat side.
Looks may be deceiving. They have a LOT of throw. The maiden didnt go so well. The prop flew off and the plane never got to leave the ground. I'm gonna use direct drive.
Mar 25, 2012, 09:13 PM
Registered User
chris1379's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofan View Post
Looks may be deceiving. They have a LOT of throw. The maiden didnt go so well. The prop flew off and the plane never got to leave the ground. I'm gonna use direct drive.
That's never a good thing. I use clear hairbands from Walmart on my prop savers. I use 2 or 3 of them but I only have power systems up to 170W or so. Good luck on your second try and let us know how it goes.

Chris
Mar 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
Registered User
chris1379's Avatar
Not sure if I mentioned this but Here is a link to a Funbat with an airfoil.
Mar 26, 2012, 01:40 PM
Airplane Dope
AddictedToRC's Avatar
Has anybody used the 1700kv hexTronic 24g Blue Wonder? I'm thinking of building one, and I have the 24g blue wonder motor and I wonder if it would be a good motor...(Planning on using a 3S with a gws 8040 trimmed to about 7", and a 3S, or a 2S with non-- trimmed 8x4)
Mar 26, 2012, 04:31 PM
Reap the wild wind
headlessagain's Avatar
It should be ok provided you build it light and extend the front fuse. It's a light weight motor and the FB can come out tail heavy. The 8x4 cut down to 7" would be ideal and you would only need a 10 amp esc & 500-800 mAh 3 cell.
Don't forget to post pictures and video if you can
Andy
Mar 27, 2012, 10:52 PM
Airplane Dope
AddictedToRC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
It should be ok provided you build it light and extend the front fuse. It's a light weight motor and the FB can come out tail heavy. The 8x4 cut down to 7" would be ideal and you would only need a 10 amp esc & 500-800 mAh 3 cell.
Don't forget to post pictures and video if you can
Andy
OK. I'm using a 1000mAh 3S and 25A ESC....and a couple HXT900s. Maybe I should try to scale it down a bit...
Mar 28, 2012, 04:28 AM
Reap the wild wind
headlessagain's Avatar
Why don't you build it and see how it fly's. You can always upgrade the motor to something like this http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ner-Brushless-
or this one if you need the extra weight and punch
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
Andy
Apr 04, 2012, 07:06 AM
Registered User
sky96's Avatar

My first Scratchbuilt!


Hi!
I used a EMAX 1200 kv motor, 8x4 GWS prop, 25A ESC and a 1300mh battery to my funbat.
The maiden didn't go that well, the trows where to big and I flew in to a three the nose came off.... I reinforced the nose and trimed the trows down and it flew great .
The only question I have is, can i chance my prop too make the plane go any faster? Mabye a higher pich

BTW i'm 15 years old and from Sweden
Apr 04, 2012, 07:18 AM
Registered User
Pyrofan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky96 View Post
Hi!
I used a EMAX 1200 kv motor, 8x4 GWS prop, 25A ESC and a 1300mh battery to my funbat.
The maiden didn't go that well, the trows where to big and I flew in to a three the nose came off.... I reinforced the nose and trimed the trows down and it flew great .
The only question I have is, can i chance my prop too make the plane go any faster? Mabye a higher pich

BTW i'm 15 years old and from Sweden
What type of prop are you using. A slofly or direct drive
Apr 04, 2012, 07:36 AM
Registered User
sky96's Avatar
This is the one I got: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5Pcs_Bag_.html
Apr 04, 2012, 07:39 AM
Registered User
Pyrofan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky96 View Post
Try like a 9x4
Apr 04, 2012, 07:50 AM
Registered User
sky96's Avatar
Ok I will try that!
Thanx for the answer


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Ace Simple Corsair, GP combat Mustang, .40 trainer LoneRanger Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Nov 07, 2010 12:27 PM
Discussion BoxFly Simple Foamboard plane good for windy days with video & plans propjobbill Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 16 Nov 01, 2010 10:18 AM
Discussion Simple 3D balsa plane chulian1819 3D Flying 0 Oct 13, 2010 10:26 AM
For Sale NIB J&C Funbat -combat aircraft kit - $15 shipped JBFergus Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 05, 2008 05:07 PM
Can I slope this kind of plane? WM combat plane or ACE simple 400?? Magna Slope 3 Oct 20, 2003 10:27 PM